• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Any experience with Prvi/PPU ammo?

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the Prvi ammo in 110gr or 120gr?

When I say good, i'm not looking for milk jugs at 1500yrds or anything( I have 200rds or Hornady SSt for that -), but just for general use under 200yards( my local ranges limit)
    I haven't found many posts on its overall quality for Grendel. I have used plenty of Prvi in the past in other calibers and it always performed fine, but this would be my first experience with it in Grendel.
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

It functioned perfectly in my rifle, unfortunately I wasn't using it to punch holes in paper so I can't comment on accuracy. Ill get more though, the brass looks good and the price is right.

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

I believe the. 120gr Privi is more accurate for most. I can't remember what others have said but I thought it was around moa or just under.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Bought a couple boxes of the 120gr PPU. Groups were about 1/4 inch larger @ 100yarfs than I get with Hornady SST ammo.
        Last edited by kmon; 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Jackem
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Bought a couple boxes of the 120gr PPU. Groups were about 1/4 inch larger @ 100yarfs than I get with Hornady SST ammo.
          My experience as well put of an 18" barrel.

Comment

• Kendoist4162
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Jackem View Post
            My experience as well put of an 18" barrel.
            Sounds about right from my experience as well with the 120 gr stuff. I just don't like it because of the large primer. I got the following with my AA 18". Avg - 2378
            Hi - 2393
            Lo - 2363
            SD - 11
            ES - 30

Comment

• lawndartmike
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2015

I bought 100 rounds of the 120 and they aren't too bad. I was getting 1.5-2 moa out of a barrel that I usually get .5-.75 moa out of with hand loads. I bought it to use the brass reloading but after two reloads the primer pockets were too loose.

Comment

• WIshooter
                Unwashed
                • May 2016

I had short stroking issues with the 110 FMJ Prvi. Wolf, Hornady, and AA ammo worked fine.

Comment

• SightedIn
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

May I ask what gas system(length) and what weight buffer you were using with the 110gr cycling issues? thanks

Comment

• WIshooter
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
                    May I ask what gas system(length) and what weight buffer you were using with the 110gr cycling issues? thanks
                    16" AA midlength barrel. I tried a carbine buffer and an H buffer.

Comment

• jurassic
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by WIshooter View Post
                      16" AA midlength barrel. I tried a carbine buffer and an H buffer.
                      I did not have any issues with the 110gr ammo I shot in my 17" Lilja, mid length with H2 buffer. My rifle is well broken in though.

Comment

• BigDaveinVT
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2016

I've put about 80 rds of Prvi Partizan 120 Gr through my 18" with no issues. Accuracy may not be great (~1 MOA groups) but I'm not the most accurate shooter in the first place. At least it's more accurate (and more fun) than throwing rocks.

I held on to the brass. I've reloaded a few for testing and had no issues with primers or function.

I've seen the same spread in velocities that Kendoist4162 mentioned from Remington and Winchester in other calibers. (Only fired PPU in my Grendel so far and didn't chrono any of it).

None of my LGS stock a lot of Grendel. For factory ammo, PPU is about all I've been able to get my hands on.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2015

I've tried several brands of ammo for my 24" heavy SS Les Baer 6.5. I can cover 3-4 shots of PPU with a nickel at 100 yards. It MIGHT not be as good as the Hornady, but my comparisons at 100 yards find them to be equivalent. The Wolf Gold comes in notable 2nd place, and the steel case stuff comes in a distant last. I'm a cheapo, so I like the PPU at about $0.70 versus around $1.00-1.25 for the Hornady.

At 200 yards with less-than-ideal shooting circumstances, 4-5 PPU's easily hit a paper plate. At slightly more than 300 yards, it allows me to hit a milk jug 3 times out of 5. I'm certain if I bear down and put more effort into it, the PPU would do well at 300+.

If I can figure how, I'll post a comparison of the steel case versus PPU on a 100 yard paper target...lol...it's a comparison between night and day.
                          If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• IceAxe
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

I am not sure if there is any interest but here is some Lab Radar results from the 120 grain PPU out of a 20 inch barrel.

Although the top sheet doesn't show data for all the selected ranges, the subsequent tracks show data for as long as the bullet could be seen in flight.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X