Best bullet for long distance pronghorns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Winny94
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Best bullet for long distance pronghorns?

I am going out west later this for a pronghorn hunt. Shots are typically 150-300, but situations of 350-400 do happen. Hunting with a 24" AR. I contacted all major bullet mfgs and asked for their opinions and here is what I was told:

Berger- 130gr hybrid tactical OTM
    Barnes- 100gr ttsx
    Hornady- 123gr SST
    Sierra- 100gr hp varminter
    Nosler- 120gr ballistic tip

What is your opinion given my situation? I am concerned the 100 grainers won't have the energy at the extreme end of my shot spectrum.
  • Vasux86
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Here's a good thread that will answer some questions for you- http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...wn-quot-survey.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

I'd suggest in the following order.

129gr ABLR
      100gr TTSX
      123gr SST/ 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

I haven't seen enough good reports of the Berger 130gr to push it out past 300 yards.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Roe
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

123gr Amax works as well. Deer in film is slightly smaller than antelope.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Roe View Post
          123gr Amax works as well. Deer in film is slightly smaller than antelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6t2WNUmZU
          Agree, the 123gr amax has worked well for me on hogs up to 150lbs so should work well on speed goats

Not that any of the others mentioned wouldn't work well

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

pronghorn are thin skinned the 123 amax/120 bt should be just about perfect for them the velocities at which the grendel can push the 120 bullets does not require bonding and certainly not monolithic building metal construction

going from the 120gr class to 100gr class only buys an extra 20m of max pbr i would go with 123 amax or 120 bt
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Nomad636
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Speaking to the A-Max, one of my good friends went on an Axis hunt here in Texas last week. He took 4 axis and he used the A-Max bullet. Shots ranged from 150yds to 300yds. All animals were recovered within 20yds of being shot. The projectile worked wonderfully and there was serious devastation to the boiler room. None of the projectiles exited the animal but two were found balled up under the far shoulder hide. 1 was lodged into the off shoulder bone and the last one disintegrated in the cavity. That was the first time I've seen the A-Max used against larger animals and it was with great success.

I have had good success with the Hornady SST projectiles that I've shot several TX hogs with. I have yet to not recover one of the hogs.

Best of luck with your hunt.

Comment

• BoxofRox
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2015

It really seems like the 123gr SST/AMAX combo is a perfect bullet for the Grendel. I plan to have both loaded up and be able to grab either load depending on what I want to hunt. Up close bear hunt, SST. Going out for a coyote, AMAX.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

123gr AMAX

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2016

velocity for Barnes

Need to keep the speed up on Barnes for them to expand well. Barnes has said 1800fps, so I pad that in my thinking to 2100. Also they like to be driven hard for best accuracy. "Load em deep and drive em hard" it the motto for Barnes. I shoot them in 243, 270, & 7RM. SSTs expand well at much lower velocities.

Comment

• ericwjennings
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Grendelseeker View Post
                      Need to keep the speed up on Barnes for them to expand well. Barnes has said 1800fps, so I pad that in my thinking to 2100. Also they like to be driven hard for best accuracy. "Load em deep and drive em hard" it the motto for Barnes. I shoot them in 243, 270, & 7RM. SSTs expand well at much lower velocities.
                      The 100 gr. Tipped tsx (ttsx) expands at lower velocity than the old tsx standard of 1800 fps. But for pronghorn at distance I think the 123 sst or 120 ballistic tip would be hard to beat as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X