• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hunting Ammo Testing Has Begun...

Well, a lot of testing has begun as I also just got my first can and the timing corresponded with getting some loads to be tested.

The first range session involved checking functionality of the can (Surefire Genesis) on the rifle (20" Shilen hbar from Alexander Arms) and to assess whether or not I would need to refine my zero before hunting a couple of hours later on the property. So, I was a bit pressed for time. The rifle was zeroed without the can for 130 gr. Berger VLD-Hunting loaded by Precision Firearms (~2400 fps). My target was a steel target and basically, I am just trying to hit the center of the head of a 2/3 size steel silhouette. So I am NOT trying to do precision accuracy testing, just some down and dirty basic assessment. Not much more is needed as I do not hunt long distance.

First, the Wolf Gold 120 gr. ammo and Hornady 123 gr. SST ammo, both factory.
    The Wolf averaged about 2450 fps and the Hornady averaged 2560. Combined, the shots impacted low and left of the head on average from POA out ~2".

For those of you who are picky about this, the temperature was 92F and the humidity was 61% according to the app on my phone, data taken from Bowie Airport, some 20 miles west of me.

LRRPF52 provided me some loaded rounds. First were the experimental 94 gr Hornady GMX rounds that had been lathed down by sneaky one from 120 gr. GMX rounds. Note that "94" is an approximation written on the box. Bullets weighed 93-97 gr. and have been described here as 95 gr. GMX. Sorry for the confusion. I noted 94 gr. in a previous thread because that was on the box, but it is the same stuff referenced as 95 gr.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

I shot a 3 shot group that was elevationally good, but maybe centered 1/2" left. The group size was about 1.5" which is likely a product of my shooting more so than the ammo. sneaky one has already done his own testing with the bullets and found them to be sub MOA.

Velocity results were good and LRRPF52's loading precise.
    2861 fps

Next came the Nosler Accubond Long Range 129 gr. bullets. The second round failed to feed. Don't know if it was due to the can/gas issue, reload issue, karma, or whatever. This was the only problem experienced. I shot a 3 shot group and the shots grouped less than an inch low of POA, but the windage was fine.

Velocities again were tight...
    2505 fps

Sorry I didn't do more with the range work, but with the limited number of rounds, time, etc., I just needed basic working data for hunting

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I did hunt. The goal was/is to get a couple good boiler room shots on hogs and I am testing the GMX ammo first. I spent 5 hours waiting on hogs to show and left around 1:00 am. The first hog didn't show until after 3:00 am.

I will try again on Monday...

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
        Warrior
        • May 2014

I'll be keeping track of this as things progress along. The Wolf ammo, is that the hollow point boat tail PPU bullet? Or is that a bullet I am unfamiliar with? I believe I have read that the Wolf ammo was loaded with the PPU bullet ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

I love this thread! Thanks! And also a big shout out of thanks to LRPPF52 for the loaded ammo.

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Looking forward to this as well as following your excellent biopsy's. Now kill some pigs.....LOL Love the can!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Monday, maybe Tuesday, Wednesday I will be out. Sadly, I must rely on the hogs to cooperate.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Rugerfan.64 View Post
                I'll be keeping track of this as things progress along. The Wolf ammo, is that the hollow point boat tail PPU bullet? Or is that a bullet I am unfamiliar with? I believe I have read that the Wolf ammo was loaded with the PPU bullet ? Please correct me if I am wrong.
                Here is the Wolf Ammo...

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                  Warrior
                  • May 2011

Following...

Comment

• Roe
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Tag...

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

No luck this evening. Will try again tomorrow.

Comment

• Kikn
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Good luck and K.A.P.

(Kill a pig)

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

No such good luck. The testing protocol requested was to try make shoulder shots, the belief being that shoulder shots were the epitome of ballistic testing. Typically, shoulder/boiler room shots are a secondary target area for me when better shots cannot be made.

With definite hog activity, I made an early trip up to prep the area with additional food to assure having the opportunity to make a boiler room shot. The more food on the ground will mean that the hog is apt to be on site longer and afford me more opportunities to make a shot. I then came back later to hunt. The problem is, the hog never made it to the feeder area and never presented me with a shoulder shot despite having an exceptionally long period of time for which I could have made a nice head shot at short distance for a good kill.

So I am going to revert back to my original plan. I will hunt hogs and take the shots that will most likely result in producing the kills that need to be made. Sooner or later, those will involve shoulder shots, particularly when better CNS shots are not available. I can't afford to not shoot hogs that are in my sights.

Comment

• HONDO
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2015

Yeah take what they give you. Hope you drop a few soon. Keep us posted
                            Galatians 2:20-21

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Well, this evening I had trouble with rounds chambering and lost 2 pigs as a result because my gun would not fire. My relationship with the landowners is that I will kill their pigs for them and instead I just scared the pigs by making to much noise trying to chamber new rounds. As such, I have to go back to factory ammo. These two nights were very costly for me in terms of time, fuel expense, loss of hogs, and one pissed off landowner.

Comment

Working...
                              X