• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoneyBadger402
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Blowing out factory primer

Hey guys,
    Just built my first Grendel a few weeks back (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Grendel-build. I took it out and put about 40 round of some PPU 120gr and Hornady 123gr A-Max. Gun works flawlessly with absolutely no problems.

So I take it out again last weekend to get it sighted in. This time i shot about 30 rounds of the same 120gr PPU ammo. I had 3 rounds get jammed (none of them tough to get out) but I noticed that my primer had blown out on all 3 of those rounds.

My question is, Is this an ammo problem or am I looking at a more serious problem involving my gun?

Thanks for looking

20160627_184230.jpg20160627_184347.jpg20160627_183737.jpg
    Last edited by HoneyBadger402; 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM.
  • Jtmbtech
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Is your gas tube hitting on the edge of the carrier gas key? looks like it has a dentist in it. Don't know if that would cause the primers.

Comment

• m796rider
      Warrior
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by jtmbtech View Post
      is your gas tube hitting on the edge of the carrier gas key? Looks like it has a dentist in it. Don't know if that would cause the primers.
      lol

Comment

• HoneyBadger402
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2016

Must be just the picture, no marks on the carrier or gas tube.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

My advice is this, it only happened with one type of ammo, try two are three diffrent types of ammo you havent tryed yet if it does it with other ammo types then it would most likely be a gun problem and not a ammo problem.

Best advice I can give you sir, hope it helps, others should be along shortly to give more advice

Comment

• HoneyBadger402
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2016

I appreciate the advice. I've talked with a few guys here locally and it seems all signs are pointing towards the ammo. Has anyone else had a bad experience with Prvi Partizan?

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Unfortunately yes, there was a lot of PPU 6.5 Grendel ammo last year which was blowing primers. There was a thread about the blown primers with the 120 grain HP BT on the predatormaster forum. I bought some Prvi Partizan on sale from PSA and it has been inconsistent in recoil and ejection. This lot of ammo was showing less velocity than Hornady 123 grain loads where I've read previous post showing A-Max and SST being very close to the same velocity of the HP BT.

I don't ever remember seeing any post about the Wolf 120 grain MPT being inconsistent or blowing primers. If other ammo is functioning normal I'd suspect the PPU ammo is the culprit.

Comment

• lawndartmike
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

Was it hotter on the day it blew primers?

Comment

• HoneyBadger402
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2016

Yeah it was about 95F that day and the ammo was in the sun.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HoneyBadger402 View Post
                    Yeah it was about 95F that day and the ammo was in the sun.
                    That's one of the main things ammunition manufacturers recommend against. Ammunition needs to be stored in a cool, dry place if possible.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X