• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Over the barrel suppressors

Anyone have any experience with an over the barrel supressor? I've been looking into amtac suppressors. I like the fact that they only add 3" to overall length. You can also get them direct thread 9/16x24 to go with my Alexander arms barrel.

Any thoughts?
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Try Allen engineering

Comment

• ajsawyer
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2016

Best bet is to make your own under a Form 1. Here's one I made for my RFB, works great and is still shorter overall than a 16" AR15.

I'm working on another one for my grendel right now, should be done soon.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ajsawyer View Post
        Best bet is to make your own under a Form 1. Here's one I made for my RFB, works great and is still shorter overall than a 16" AR15.

I'm working on another one for my grendel right now, should be done soon.
        Will you post a "how to" video?

Comment

• Les
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

I'd like to see that as well.
          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Very cool! I like the reflex style myself as well.

Comment

• ajsawyer
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2016

I'm not much on the videos but I can post pictures. Here is the one I'm working on now, it's .30 caliber so I can use it on any of my rifles.

This one is 1.625" OD, titanium (.070" wall thickness). I make the muzzle attachment out of titanium as well, ID threaded 5/8x24 and thread the OD 20tpi but leave an edge in the center for each tube to but against. Around the inside I drill 8 9/32" holes to allow the gas to go from the blast chamber to the rear section.

I've just been making the baffles out of freeze plugs (P/N 555-026) and finishing them on the lathe, I've had great results so I have no reason to spend the time machining them out of bar stock. This one has 8 baffles and a 1.25" titanium spacer in the blast chamber, which vents into the rear section.

The rear tube is just empty, and the rear cap is cut slightly larger the barrel OD. I use a piece of heat shrink to interface between the barrel and the rear cap. I make the caps out of 6061 aluminum. I have to make a rear cap for each rifle as the barrels aren't the same OD. I engrave the forward end cap by hand with my trust info etc.

The surface finishes aren't perfect as I'm using a chinese lathe I bought for $300 on craigslist (along with about $300 of tooling from littlemachineshop.com), but my top priority is concentricity which I am very careful to maintain. I reamed out the spindle bore to 13/16" so I can thread barrels in it too.

Total material cost for this setup was less than $100, plus $200 for my form 1 tax stamp. I had to buy the titanium bar stock in 12" sections so I've got plenty left over for other projects.

My next step on this one is testing, then if I'm satisfied with it I'll cerakote it and call it a day.

This is my grendel, it's a 24" SS Alexander Arms barrel that I cut to 22" and threaded 5/8x24:

And here's my remington 700 in 30-06, I threaded the barrel in my mini lathe. When swapping the can between the two, I just have to change out the rear cap. I'll probably end up cerakoting it too because the bluing isn't very corrosion resistant.

Length is 5" in front of the muzzle and 6" behind for a total of 11".
              Last edited by ajsawyer; 11-07-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• ajsawyer
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2016

The reason I made it 1.625" OD was to fit it over the gas block on my 9" MPW. I just finished the rear adapter last night, still need to clean it up a little then cerakote. Check it out:

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

That looks awesome. I don't have the equipment or the skills to make something like that. Are you getting pretty good sound reduction with them?

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Do you have any "In progress" pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• ajsawyer
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2016

Im hoping the sbr is at least as quiet as my buddy's with the same barrel and the specwar can, I'll try to make a video of them shooting side by side next time we go shooting. I've shot it a few times with subsonic ammo and it's louder than my suppressed p226, but not by much.

I cerakoted it last night, here are some pictures I took while putting it back together:

Here's the SBR rear cap, it's just a slip fit over the tube with a hole drilled for the gas tube. The rifle rear caps are threaded and screw into the inside of the tube.

The tube then goes to the muzzle attachment, which is threaded on both sides and has holes drilled into it to let the gas get into the rear section:

The actual silencer section threads onto the front of the muzzle attachment and has 8 baffles in front of a titanium spacer. Very similar to the silencerco saker 7.62 pictured below but without a brake inside

Last edited by ajsawyer; 11-07-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• ajsawyer
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2016

Here's the final product installed on three different guns - I went ahead and cerakoted the 700 too:

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

That's going to be quiet. Nice work.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X