• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clays23
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Best scope for the money

Currently I have a vortex 2-7 scope on my grendel. It's a good scope but I want something with a little more zoom considering the grendel is a long range caliber (by ar15 standards) I am really considering a nikon buckmaster 4-12x40. Its only about $150 bucks and I think it would be a good scope. What other scopes would anyone reccommend in that price range
    Joshua 1:9
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Vortex diamondback 4-12x42, got one that has never been mounted still in box shoot me a pm if intrested.

I have the diamondback hp on my grendel now and like it more because it has more power.

Comment

• Clays23
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

People love them some Vortex. Lol, I've heard that particular model has pretty bad eye relief. Is that true?

Comment

• ah1whiskey
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

for the money is what makes that a tough question--lol

there has to be some good scopes in the 2-14X somewhere --

ar you shooting steel at 1000m or hunting?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I like the eye relief on the regular diamondback more then on the new diamondback hp.

For me the diamondback hp has a lil to much eye relief but was able to work with it because of needing to put a extended buttpad on my stock and also useing a aero extended mount put it just right for me.

I have used lots of nikons and bushnells over the years and have to be honest the two diffrent vortex models I have tryed so for are without a doubt much better quility and glass then any of the nikons and bushnells I have owned and used.

But the customer service and warrenty of vortex is second to none and that is also a big factor for me as well.

Hope this info helps you some sir its just my 0.02 cents but its the best info I have.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

vortex is tough to beat , i have a half-dozen of them.

i haven't owned that many nikons --

my normal scopes end at about 10X and i never shoot any further anyway--

vortex, sightron , redfield would be the first ones i would look at - IMHO

Comment

• Clays23
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ah1whiskey View Post
              for the money is what makes that a tough question--lol

there has to be some good scopes in the 2-14X somewhere --

ar you shooting steel at 1000m or hunting?
              Yeah should've been more specific. For under $200 since I'm a college student who really care afford anything more than that now. But I belive you can still buy quality glass at that price. And to answer your question I won't be shooting anything near that distance. Where I live the hunting woods are pretty thick. It's rare to take a shot over 150 yards which is why the 2-7 scope didn't bother me much at the time. With that said, I'd still like to go to my local range which is 400m I belive, just to see what my gun can do at that range and would like a scope with a little more zoom. I'd say about 12-14x

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

these are decent http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132...12x-40mm-matte and on sale
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                  I have this scope, along with a couple of Sightron S1's, and a couple of other name brands. My son is allowing be to use his Vortex Viper PST 6-24X. The ProsStaff at 12x is much closer in clarity, brightness and ability to discern detail to the Vortex than it is for the Sightron. I have been very happy with the Sightron, but will go for a second ProStaff in 4-12x next time around.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Fredman
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

For glass quality , I feel the Zeiss Conquest is hard to beat. The problem is as the magnification goes up, so does the price. IMHO a very clear 3-9 scope is far better than a fuzzy 14 power scope.

Comment

• Clays23
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

A zeiss would be nice but unfortunately don't have the funds for one. Maybe a few after I'm through with college I can talk the wife into letting me get one lol

Comment

• Clays23
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                        Awesome thanks for the link! These are basically the same price as the buckmaster but the prostaff is suppose to be better quality correct?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

i believe it is the next step up in the nikon line
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

Take a look at Athlon scopes, getting great reviews on snipershide. Have alot of different models and word is they have ex-Bushnell engineers.
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Clays23
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                              Take a look at Athlon scopes, getting great reviews on snipershide. Have alot of different models and word is they have ex-Bushnell engineers.
                              I must say they look nice, resemble the vortex diamondback, I also like the side parallax and they are definitely inside my budget. Thanks for recommending

Comment

Working...
                              X