• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnCanMakeIt
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2015

129 gr AMAX load suggestions??

I worked up a good 123 load in my 20" Shilen--8208XBR max load has performed really well out of my plinker.

I picked up 100 cases of Privi Partizan brass, large rifle primer, and my thought was to load those up with the 129's. I've been scouring the forum for starting load suggestions--for any poweder--and not as a slight against my 5'6" self, I'm coming up short.

I've got IMR 8208 and Hogdon LeverEvolution. What would you suggest for a starting load for each powder (or would you even use 8208 for that size bulllet?)??.

I loaded the LeverEv with the 123's previously, got +2600 fps velocities, but the accuracy was sacrificed in comparison to the 2518fps of the 8208. That said, I used 31.5 grs of LeverEv with the 123's, and didnt have any pressure signs on the brass, or extractor marks etc.

With the larger bullet, I'm considering starting at 28.5 grs of LeverEv, and progressing up to maybe up to 30.5? Thoughts?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

You mean the 129gr SST?

There are a lot of loads for it in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, including LVR in Volume II.

30.9gr was the max load, so you're in a good place to start with 28.5gr. Use .3gr increments and do a ladder rather than 3 or 5rd batches.

See how the ladder registers over the chronograph, then look for departures. LVR is probably the powder to beat for velocity with 123gr and 129gr.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JohnCanMakeIt
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      You mean the 129gr SST?

There are a lot of loads for it in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, including LVR in Volume II.

30.9gr was the max load, so you're in a good place to start with 28.5gr. Use .3gr increments and do a ladder rather than 3 or 5rd batches.

See how the ladder registers over the chronograph, then look for departures. LVR is probably the powder to beat for velocity with 123gr and 129gr.
      Good to know on the max load on the 129 asprins. Thanks! I'll try them out tomorrow and see where things go.

I'm also going to retry that powder with my 123's Amax. When I shot my last progression, I got to the LeverEv powder at the end after shooting about 50 rounds with various powders. Rumor has it, accuracy can be affected inside the barrel with the shift's in powder types.

Comment

• pokey
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2015

What is a good load with 123 amax , 8208, with the 20" shilen?

Comment

Working...
        X