6.5 Grendel SASS Type Build. Barrel Recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djamiller
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

6.5 Grendel SASS Type Build. Barrel Recomendations?

Hey guys, I originally wanted to build a 308 AR for my first build, something similar to the KA M110 for precision shooting and maybe the occasional hunting trip. I was Feeling a little dissuaded by the fact that all parts are literally twice the price and the fact that parts compatibility seems to be a bit of a problem, then I discovered the 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 Grendel seems like it will accomplish most of the same goals while keeping build costs down and rifle weight down. I'm still looking to build something similar to the SASS off and aero upper and lower for hunting and precision shooting. The longest range around here seems to be 500 yards but I like to have the option to shoot further should I decide to drive a couple hours north and visit the bigger ranges. Right now I'm leaning toward the 20inch Odinworks barrel or the 20inch black hole barrel from Surplus Ammo, trying to keep the price around $300 and still hoping for sub-Moa. Any thoughts or Recomendations? This is my first AR build so I'm still a novice.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

You have come to the right place for info on doing a build and the grendeland welcome to the horde sir.

As for as the barrels you listed I have seen good reports about both but blackhole has more good reviews because they been around longer.

Get the very best barrel you can afford budget wise even if that means safeing for a few extra months.

Hope this info helps sir, its the best I have at the moment.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have kept my double fluted 18" Sabre Defense. If I was shopping today for a 20 inch I'd point my browser right on over to Mark at Precision Firearms and a Criterion barrel. His work is stellar and you get a true Grendel chambering personally done by Mark.

This listing is for Barrel Only!!! NO Bolt - Bolt available as Option 6.5 Grendel SAAMI Spec Barrel Blank by Criterion Hand Lapped Chambered by PF 1-8 Twist Stainless 5/8x24 Threaded Muzzle Available in 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, 14.5, 16,18, 20, 24 inch lengths 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 are Carbine Gas 14.5 and 16 is mid length gas 18 is intermediate and include custom gas tube 20, 22, 24 are rifle length gas Optional Profiles listed in Options Bolts or Carrier Groups are Optional Bolts must be .136 Bolts or known as Type 2 Chambered in house to match specifications Test Fired with 3 rounds Weights for Hbars: 2 lbs 2 oz 16" 2 lbs 5 oz 18" 2 lbs 9 oz 20" Options: Fluted Front and Back sections inhouse by PF Fluted Rear Section only for 14.5 inch and shorter barrels Target Crowned Cerakote in either black or Stainless Bead Blast Bolts or Carrier Groups Please Note: Barrels shorter than 14.5 inches can only be fluted rear section only. Just not enough material to flute the front section on these shorter barrels. Delivery time -...
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Djamiller
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

Thanks guys. One more note, I'm not completely set on 20inches, it just looked like there were a few good barrels in my budget at that length. I'm not opposed to going longer and going with a bull barrel if you guys think that will suit my needs better.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

If its going to be used for hunting where you will have to pack and or carry the rifle on sling, I wouldnt use a bull barrel are anything longer then 18 inches, this is just my thoughts.

I am use to packing a heavy bolt rifle one a 308 the other a 270, my first grendel had a Hbar 21 inch barrel and when weighted on a scale it was lighter then both my bolt guns but when walking and carrying my first grendel it felt just as or more heavyer then my bolt guns to me.

I belive it being due to the shape of the rifle.

Hope this info helps sir.

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Yeah, I'd go 18"... Seems to be the best overall compromise length between portability and velocity. I've made hits to 930 yrds with my 18" BHW but others have done much farther on here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Keep in mind the direction SF has been going with the SASS, is to go with a more compact 16" SASS with suppressor, telescoping stock, and newer optics.

Knight's should make an SR-15 6.5 Grendel really. That would be a slick set-up with their approach to the AR family.

What you seek is what I've basically done with my guns. I call it the Light Sniper Concept, where the rifle is a compact AR15 frame, but with better reach than 7.62 M118LR, with more ammo carrying capacity, and less than half the recoil, but with something I can still kick in doors with and fight in alleys, from cars, or in the green.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• WVB4
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2016

LRRPF52, I also think the Light Sniper Concept is a no brainer, I just think it will never happen in the military with the Grendel due to no bfpu ability for ammo.

To the OP, I just recently used Odin Works to build a Grendel upper. I used the 18" DMR profile barrel and I am very pleased with the performance I'm getting. Yesterday I was getting .5 groups using Hornady 123gr SST. Good luck with the build.

Comment

• joedirt199
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2015

If you don't want to wait till next year to get your barrel then stay away from precision firearms. My cousin finally got his criterion barrel that he ordered in january, just last week. Towards the end he started sending emails to find out what was taking so long was getting the runaround.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by WVB4 View Post
                    LRRPF52, I also think the Light Sniper Concept is a no brainer, I just think it will never happen in the military with the Grendel due to no bfpu ability for ammo.

To the OP, I just recently used Odin Works to build a Grendel upper. I used the 18" DMR profile barrel and I am very pleased with the performance I'm getting. Yesterday I was getting .5 groups using Hornady 123gr SST. Good luck with the build.
                    I never once shot a single round of 7.62 NATO M80 ball through any of the M24s we used across 3 different Scout Sniper Platoons over a 10 year period. I've heard of some rare instances where guys have, but most anyone you talk to on both the Army and USMC side will tell you that the M24, M40, SR25, and M110 SASS have been fed M118, M118LR, and some M852 Match on occasion.

There is a pretty dedicated logistics stream for sniper ammunition, not to say the ability to share ammo with other guns isn't a legitimate concern. Snipers also aren't organic to the Rifle Companies, and you request your ammo through your Recon Platoon, or at least that's what we did.

The likelihood of needing someone else's ammo is much higher when shooting 7.62 NATO, since you can't carry a lot of it. There have been 3rd Batt guys that almost went empty with SR25s in a very fluid, drawn-out engagement in Afghanistan, because they couldn't carry anywhere near as many SR25 mags to have the type of endurance or persistence you would be able to have with 6.5 Grendel.

I've already had this conversation with several different people with actual experience in sniper duty positions and multiple deployments, as well as instructors, and there is a growing desire to have something with this capability. There are a lot of positives, and not many negatives. I'm talking about a lightweight Semi Auto Sniper System that meets or exceeds M118LR reach and wind drift, in a gun that weighs what an M4 or SPR does, but with the ability to carry a lot more ammo that can also be used to fight the close fight when needed.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• danm
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I never once shot a single round of 7.62 NATO M80 ball through any of the M24s we used across 3 different Scout Sniper Platoons over a 10 year period. I've heard of some rare instances where guys have, but most anyone you talk to on both the Army and USMC side will tell you that the M24, M40, SR25, and M110 SASS have been fed M118, M118LR, and some M852 Match on occasion.

There is a pretty dedicated logistics stream for sniper ammunition, not to say the ability to share ammo with other guns isn't a legitimate concern. Snipers also aren't organic to the Rifle Companies, and you request your ammo through your Recon Platoon, or at least that's what we did.

The likelihood of needing someone else's ammo is much higher when shooting 7.62 NATO, since you can't carry a lot of it. There have been 3rd Batt guys that almost went empty with SR25s in a very fluid, drawn-out engagement in Afghanistan, because they couldn't carry anywhere near as many SR25 mags to have the type of endurance or persistence you would be able to have with 6.5 Grendel.

I've already had this conversation with several different people with actual experience in sniper duty positions and multiple deployments, as well as instructors, and there is a growing desire to have something with this capability. There are a lot of positives, and not many negatives. I'm talking about a lightweight Semi Auto Sniper System that meets or exceeds M118LR reach and wind drift, in a gun that weighs what an M4 or SPR does, but with the ability to carry a lot more ammo that can also be used to fight the close fight when needed.
                      This really can't be summarized any better...

Comment

• WVB4
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I am not challenging your theory, I think the Grendel would be awesome for the uses you outlined earlier. Maybe in SOF they would be fielded but I have serious doubts about their employment by big Army snipers. Big Army would cringe at the thought of Soldiers running around with odd-ball calibers and the possibility no matter how remote, that they wouldn't be able to resupply during battle. We all know snipers carry at least a pistol and usually an M4 as well depending on the mission. I personally think a Grendel with lighter ammo and more similar looks to an M4/M16 is a viable option and one that should be explored. As far as M80 being used in M110/M24/M40, I've never seen it used but it could be in an emergency is all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                        X