• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldbarnowl
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

POF Drop in Trigger AR15 Brand New

Not connected in any way, other than a long time customer of Tanner Sports...

Looks like a good deal for a good trigger...
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Too much hammer mass = Pre-Ignition Vibration and disturbance of the rifle off the Point of Aim.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• oldbarnowl
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

How do you determine the hammer mass from any other manufacturer's trigger ?

Comment

• RicosRevenge
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

These are great triggers. I've been using them for my last 6 builds including the Grendel that was just finished. I don't notice any PIV in them at all but I don't use these for benchrest shooting.

I have rifles with Geissele (DMR and SSA-E) and was looking for a single-stage option so I tried the 3SG and it was nice; but it doubled a couple times (yes, it was set up correctly - yes, it went back to Geissele and was replaced - no, I'm not bashing Geissele). So I tried CMC and JP (another great trigger group just requires more hassle to set up and tune) and settled on the POF. They work, they are easy to drop in, reset nicely and they break clean.

Comment

• oldbarnowl
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2015

[QUOTE=RicosRevenge;135359]These are great triggers. I've been using them for my last 6 builds including the Grendel that was just finished. I don't notice any PIV in them at all but I don't use these for benchrest shooting. ]

I haven't had anything but milspec and have been on the fence. $200-300 + a pop, for me makes for indecision, as I can't test them without buying them... I did find the JP Speed hammer , which may be what LRRPF52 is referring to. JP has a number of low mass trigger products. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.4_sh.php

I am personally reluctant to build my own, given the dangers...

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Try a jard if you feel comfortable installing and adjusting yourself. They are very adjustable for take up, weight, and over travel. In over a dozen installs, the only trouble I've ever seen was when a buddy changed his grip and used too long a grip screw, pushing up on bottom of trigger enough to cause double fires every now and then. It's single stage, which i like because I shoot bolt guns a lot and prefer single stage. Oh, they're about $150. Just my $.02

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by oldbarnowl View Post
              How do you determine the hammer mass from any other manufacturer's trigger ?
              Look at the hammer and see how big it is.

Timney's are the same way. They have excellent feel on the 3.5lb one, but the hammer is huge.

Large hammer mass pushes the receiver down and to the rear, since it is sprung.

Most shooters won't notice the difference, but for me, where I am trying to hit really small things at distance, I want every edge I can get.

Sniper Magazine did a really good article on this last year I think. Editor and contributors are all highly experienced guys, not wannabe types.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
                These are great triggers. I've been using them for my last 6 builds including the Grendel that was just finished. I don't notice any PIV in them at all but I don't use these for benchrest shooting.

I have rifles with Geissele (DMR and SSA-E) and was looking for a single-stage option so I tried the 3SG and it was nice; but it doubled a couple times (yes, it was set up correctly - yes, it went back to Geissele and was replaced - no, I'm not bashing Geissele). So I tried CMC and JP (another great trigger group just requires more hassle to set up and tune) and settled on the POF. They work, they are easy to drop in, reset nicely and they break clean.
                Curious... What didn't you like about the CMC? I'm pretty much in love with my 3ish # flat blade...

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

How big (size/volume) that hammer appears is a clumsy indicator of mass (an objects resistance to acceleration). It is also a clumsy indicator of weight. The point being, do we know what the hammer is made of? Is it made of a lighter alloy than a Gieselle and so needs more volume to make the same weight? It could even be lighter than a Gieselle - and even though it has more volume the total system's mass is the same because it is propelled to the firing pin with more acceleration from spring tension (F=ma).

To be fair to 52', without any other information we can only go by the hammers shape and guess the amount of force that is likely to be impacting on the firing pin (inertia). To be fair to the manufacturer, it is only a guess. In the absence of engineering specs we can only go by personal experience and forum feedback. Manufacturers only list the weights needed to activate the stages of trigger release, not the weights of components or more importantly, the forces of inertia that result in what 52' is talking about.

We are using heuristics such as shape, price and brand equity to conclude a result. It remains an educated guess at best.

You won't know for certain until you actually try one.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post

I am on the fence between the DMR and SSA-E. Can you compare the two for me ?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I wonder if the hammer mass is a result of testing with the 7.62 NATO rifles that POF is known for.

Keep in mind I can be picky, but then you can also turn around and call me out for having a poor man's trigger job still in one of my most prized AR15s.

It still shoots like this at 1000yds:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Nice looking group.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2015

What triggers do you favor '52 ?

Comment

• oldbarnowl
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

This is why I go to this forum, for the knowledge...Thanks.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2016

Nice shooting LRRP!!

danm, no real issues with the CMC. Hell, they are built about 10 mile from where I sit right now. Just a preference thing. They are similar to the POF.

s...cat, the SSA-E has a bit of creep between the first and second stage. On the DMR it is very easy to pull right through the first and second stages because there isn't any creep. I have been told this is done on purpose because it is supposed to be a "combat" trigger(?). My choice if I had to pick one would be the DMR because of the ease I can shoot it like a carbine should easier (read rapid) and also have the ability to use it as a 2-stage. If I am (to use LRRP's example) shooting really small things at distance then I may (actually did on my AR308 and AR 6.5 CM) switch to the SSA-E because there have been times when I pull too much on the DMR and go through the take up.

This kinda turned into a nice discussion!

Comment

Working...
                              X