• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Summary Video On Berger VLD-Hunting Bullets & Hogs

Three months of hunting, problems with video, only using data that came from hogs solely shot by me, and way too much time in video production and I have a final summary video on the performance of the Berger VLD-Hunting bullets with hogs.

If you want to see a good sampling of what these bullets will do to hogs, then this video is for you. It is a bit long, but that is because each example is discussed in brief.

Here is my video...

If you are wondering why I mention hydrostatic shock in the video, here are Berger's claims about it...

Berger makes some claims that their bullets open at 3-5" to do damage to vital organs with multiple wound channels. Based on their graphic and my experience, the bullets open up in 1-2" and do "massive" damage deep into the body or until they exit the body.

I think hydrostatic shock is not a good selling point for this bullet in 6.5 Grendel. Too many shots should have resulted in good hydrostatic stops, if not kills, that just didn't happen.

One of the claims Berger makes is that if the animal doesn't drop, it won't run too far. "Far" is very relative. In a recently plowed open and flat field where you have clear line of sight, an animal can go 200 or 300 yards and not be too far. In heavy brush, often the brush surrounding fields, animals can disappear quickly. Crawling on game trails under cedar trees, cactus, and through briar and poison ivy makes distances become "too far" pretty quick.

So the Berger VLD-Hunting isn't a magic bullet, but it is a very good hog bullet. I would happily used this bullet again on hogs. I like what it does to them. As a depredation hunter, while I do want to recover my hogs (proof of kill is important to justify my endeavors to landowners), knowing that the hogs will be dead in a short period of time due to extensive bodily damage means that the hunt is still beneficial to landowners. Berger VLD-Hunting bullets are the bullets to produce that sort of damage.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Your videos are always excellent. I would tend to be hesitant to use the Berger bullet when harvesting game since it looked to me that their bullet creates a lot of blood shot meat. For animal control it would be fine. Hydrostatic shock has always been an over used claim in my experience. By the way, you made some excellent follow up shots. Thanks for posting, it was enjoyable to watch.

Comment

• ramslammer
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

G'Day
      Awesome review, makes me happy i've stocked up on the VLD Huntings
      Thanks
      Juddy

Comment

• IceAxe
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

I am so addicted to videos...I find myself searching the lineup for your postings! Keep up the good work!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

That is a really in-depth and detailed, no-BS analysis of a lot of real-world samples.

Very much appreciated.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Great video of your testings. I'm to ship ammo to you tomorrow.

Comment

• Nomad636
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Excellent video as always sir.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Thanks guys. I figured there was a narrow crowd of people in the hunting world that would find interest in this sort of work. If y'all have some suggestions on how to better derive information or information that needs to be gathered, I am open to suggestions. What I do or use will depend highly on how things are out in the field for me, but if it is something that can be worked out to do efficiently relatively easily in the field, let me know. I am learning, too.

Comment

• Nomad636
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

Well sir, my one and only suggestion...... i'd love to go on a hunt with you. I have access to thermal and would be more than willing to help you in the necropsy and testing of the ammunition.

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

brilliant and complete performance tome, 00Spy. the Horde is lucky to have you.

Comment

• joker31
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2015

Any info on the load? OAL? powder used etc... Also which barrel are you using and is it the SAAMI spec chamber?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

The loading was done by Precision Firearms. OAL is 2.260". Barrel is a Shilen hbar match G2 barrel made for Alexander Arms.

Comment

• joker31
                          Chieftain
                          • Jul 2015

Any info on the load? OAL? powder used etc... Also which barrel are you using and is it the SAAMI spec chamber?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Um, yeah, see post 12, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                            X