• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Y.A. 1000 yard outing report

Over the last weekend, a couple of friends of mine and went to the local private range. Among the various pistol, shotgun and rifle ranges, it also boasts one of the region's best 1000 yard tactical steel ranges, along side a traditional F-Class 1000 yard range.

My friends were shooting 7mm Mag, 6.5 CM and .223. I brought my .308 CZ bolt gun and my 22" .264LBC. The weather was really nice, with winds about 5-7 quartering at us from the right.

We all started with a bit of fun with the 500 yard steel, but only to check zeros. Not much challenge, with conditions as good as they were.

I fired a total of 10 shots from the .308. Two at 500, 700, 900 and 4 at 1000. After two hits at 1000, I put the CZ away and brought out my AR.

With a first round center punch @ 500, I pushed out to 600 for a nine round course of head and neck shots. At 700, my only two shots shots were centered and an inch and a half apart.

900 Yards was a trip, since I was listening to the banging of some very solid sounding hits arriving nearly 3 seconds after the shots were breaking. (Oddly, there is no steel at 800 yards.)

I then pushed out to 1000 with the 264. After 5 rounds at the large silhouette, I moved to the medium steel. I was rewarded with 7 out of 10 rounds hitting the 18" tall silhouette, all shot at a fairly rapid pace. The thing that had all of our attention was how much the medium steel was swinging. I had it turned 90 degrees with each of the edge hits, and managed to connect multiple times while the target was still swinging. My alibi for the three misses is that I would likely have made more hits if the target had been allowed to settle.

7 hits out of 10 at 1000, holding .6 mil for windage.

Oddly, the fellow with the 6.5CM bolt gun was not having a very good day, at all. His optics were not up to the job, and the mirage was just eating him up. My Vortex Viper PST was cutting right through, giving me solid images @ 24x, while his Bushnell Elite Tactical just couldn't hold a candle.

I had also been checking my drop at each distance, and was not too disappointed.

The 123 A-Max had the following drops with a 100 yard zero:

4.2mil @ 600
    5.7mil @ 700
    8.5mil @ 900
    10.7mil @ 1000

Mind you, these loads are not hot and cases continue to look good. I know more MV is doable without tearing it a new one, but I just can't see a reason to go that way, after this weekend.

This rifle has been lined out before, but for those interested:

22" BHW Match Bull Barrel.
    BTE Adjustable GB
    DPMS Slick side Heavy upper
    S&W MP lower
    Timney Single Stage Trigger, 3.5#
    DPMS FF Tube
    Magpul PRS stock
    Miculek 30 cal Brake
    Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST

Shot off a 6-9" Harris bipod w/ rear bag

Thanks for indulging me.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-13-2016, 04:56 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Sounds like a great day and great showing for the caliber! Forgive me if you've covered this else where: what load were you shooting?
    Last edited by biodsl; 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Very nice!

Comment

• Errorhead
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2012

Is your Vortex FFP or SFP, I'm interested in the FFP but worried the crosshairs are too thick at those distances. What your thoughts?

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

Awesome !

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Fun, isn't it? What I really like is that I can spot my own hits even with a lightweight little AR15 at 1000yds.

I haven't even pushed a long barrel Grendel, as I mostly shoot 16" and 18" Grendels. I need to get on my 22" Grendel and see what it will do once I find some time.

What BC were you using for the 123gr AMAX NF?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
              Sounds like a great day and great showing for the caliber! Forgive me if you've covered this else where: what load were you shooting?
              The load this particular rifle enjoys most is the 123gr A-Max, pushed by 28 gr of 8208. Hornady cases, CCI BR primers. Cases are now at 8 reloads.

Originally posted by Errorhead View Post
              Is your Vortex FFP or SFP, I'm interested in the FFP but worried the crosshairs are too thick at those distances. What your thoughts?
              Mine is the SFP. I've looked at FFP's, but don't like them at minimum magnification and feel that I am missing little, if anything, without one. I like this SFP because it shows the multiplier on the zoom ring, has nice crisp glass, and the reticle is thin enough I don't sub tend the smaller targets, but thick enough I am not straining to resolve it in less than ideal lighting. (It does have an illuminated reticle, but I've yet to need it.). Range finding and target sizing is very straight forward, and a FFP really doesn't matter to me because let's face it, at my age, speed isn't critical.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Fun, isn't it? What I really like is that I can spot my own hits even with a lightweight little AR15 at 1000yds.

I haven't even pushed a long barrel Grendel, as I mostly shoot 16" and 18" Grendels. I need to get on my 22" Grendel and see what it will do once I find some time.

What BC were you using for the 123gr AMAX NF?
              I couldn't agree more. Distance shooting, coupled with squirrelly winds = improved skills. Recoil on this particular rifle is ridiculously minor. I've had worse from some .223 carbines. 1000 yards is deceptively easy to self spot, though. Even my .308 (same brake) could settle fast enough for me to see impacts. At 600 and under, not so much, but my 264 has none of those issues.

BC in my calculator was .247 G7, but I've revised it down to .235. That gives my distance results more consistency with the real world figures.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Awesome man! Love me some BHW!

Comment

• davidj
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

900 Yards was a trip, since I was listening to the banging of some very solid sounding hits arriving nearly 3 seconds after the shots were breaking. (Oddly, there is no steel at 800 yards.)

Dave,
                  There is a berm for 800. The steel is there only it is lying in the dirt about 40 feet in front of the mound. I suspect the distance was incorrect so they took it down.
                  Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Ahh. Makes sense, as I spotted the berm driving out and back, but didn't bother to range it. The place really looks good, these days. I've convinced my bride I need the price of admission, soon.

Comment

• Redomen
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

I've been considering the vortex viper in 4-16 ffp. I thought the 6.5-24 might be more than I would need. Sounds like you had a helluva good time and I enjoyed reading your post.

Comment

Working...
                      X