Recommendations for build - All are welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarylandS550
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

Recommendations for build - All are welcome!

Hey everyone! This is a slow project that began in 2013 just prior to the AR ban in Maryland. I bought the Lower prior to the ban and picked up the lower parts kit this past fall. Thats pretty much all I have thus far.

I would like a nice target/hunting setup. More target than hunting though since I no longer live in Michigan where I could hunt from the back deck if I wanted. But the range here has targets out to 600 yards which would be nice to hit on occasion.

So all recommendations are welcome. Barrel, Scope, Handguards, BCG, etc.

Trust me guys...I need the advice. I have been looking through many of the builds on here and have not found any commonality...which honestly is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to contributing to this site.

-Ben
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You didn't say what your budget is for this build but I think the most important thing on an AR-15 is the barrel. I suggest you look at a 18" barrel in 416 R stainless steel with a threaded muzzle in case you ever consider a suppressor. The 6.5 Grendel has low recoil so I suggest an A-2 flash hider or thread protector unless you live in a ban state where it is illegal to have certain features on an AR-15.

A 16", 18", or 20" barrel will meet your criteria but the 18" hits the sweet spot IMHO. I used a Hogue over molded free float tube on my 20" 6.5 Grendel, it's light, inexpensive but is not the best for cooling which is a non issue to me. The rubber over molded grip is great whether hot or cold. There are hundreds of hand guards on the market with a variety of picatinney rails, key mod or m-lok for attaching accessories. All I figure I'll ever need is a stud for a sling/bipod and naybe a light.

Buy a quality trigger and decide if you want a light single stage like Timney or a two stage like Giessele. I have standardized on two stage RRA NM triggers on AR-15's but there are many great triggers (fire control groups) on the market.

The easiest solution is to buy a quality upper from Alexander Arms, Precision Firearms, Lilja, BHW or other manufacture that offers the options you prefer at a price within your budget.

For optics I like Night Force but I can't justify the price so I usually buy Leupold or Vortex. For an 18" 6.5 Grendel a 2.5-10X32 Vortex is great as well as Leupold VXR Patrol. A 4-16 power scope still has low enough magnification for hunting unless your in very dense forest. If you are in dense terrain a 1-6 or 1-8 scope will still be able to hit steel targets at 600 yards as well as being great for deer/coyote hunting.

Don't go cheap on barrel or optics and get a decent trigger, everything else is convience or personal choice and budget.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Here's some inspiration for you:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X