Adjustable Gas block AND heavier buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • catorres1
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Adjustable Gas block AND heavier buffer?

I am seeing the light at the end of my build tunnel here, getting a few last parts to get it done. The buffer I originally bought for this is out of spec and so is going back so I need a new buffer set.

Build is a lilja 18"ish (319 barrel) MLGS, with adjustable gas block. Bolt and carrier are Maxim.

So since I will have the adjustable block, is there any reason to get a heavier buffer? I was considering an H3 or H2, but it seems like maybe this is unnecessary, since I can just cut the gas off, so don't need to go the heavier buffer route, but maybe I misunderstand how this works.

Thanks!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

With the MLGS and an 18" barrel, I really like to use at least an H2.

I personally am using JP SCS on my Lilja MLGS 18", and it runs very smooth, no muzzle brake needed.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Catorres,

Correct...Once you have the means to control gas you can use whatever buffer weight that cycles the action properly. Out of that range of buffers (probably all the weights) you can now choose the weight what works best to fine tune that beast.

If you don't have the luxury of trying different buffers you can listen to others or go by the maxim that a lighter gun is best. Or that reciprocating mass makes the gun reliable, or is bad for wear and accuracy. Or that half way is a compromise. Or maybe, it happens to be the one you have lying around in the spares box. My point being, don't expect there to be an immediate and noticeable difference with whatever weight you choose. With an adjustable gas the weight of your buffer is no longer compulsory.

In Grendel I use a fixed A2 stock with a hydraulic buffer. I prefer fixed stocks for precision, scoped rifles. In gas regulated 223's I use whatever buffer is in the lower and cannot tell the difference. In 300BLK I use the lightest (MILSPEC) buffer and don't regulate the gas.

Comment

• catorres1
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

Thanks for the advice, if I am understanding correctlly, because I have the adjustable gas, it won't really matter what buffer I get because I can just turn the gas down. I don't have the option of trying different ones, I'll have to order and stick with it.

So would you both agree that going with an H2 is the best balance point considering I have the adjustable gas? If that makes it 6 of one and half of another, then maybe stick with carbine as it's cheaper and easier for me to find.

I guess what I also want to make sure I understand...basically, one can slow down the carrier movement by cutting gas or increasing resistance through the heavier buffer...but the result is exactly the same...do I understand the mechanics correctly?

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

It's not that it doesn't matter at all, but the weight of the buffer matters less than if you had a non-adjustable block.

Different weight carbine buffers came out some years ago as a fix to the problems resulting from the advent of shorter gas block lengths and barrels. Problems can occur in over-gassed systems like the action moving too fast and not picking up the next round in the mag. Or dwell time causing the bolt to pull against a case that is still pressure-sealed inside the chamber. A symptom of this is the extractor claw slipping off rims and not pulling the case out - or the carrier expending too much inertia pulling out a pressurised case and short stroking. The different weight buffers are then a fix for this.

Short stroking caused by a still-pressurised case in the chamber due to dwell-time can be fixed by a heavier buffer. Short stroking caused by simply not enough pressure will not be fixed by a heavier buffer - as you can imagine it will make it worse.

With an adjustable gas you now have control over the energy that runs the auto-cycle. Different buffer weights give you even more control over how that energy is used (e.g. timing).

Yes, heavier buffers slow down the auto-cycle. It takes longer for pressure to build to a point where the heavier mass moves. You might need to slow down the action if you experience problems.

If you don't already have a buffer I would go with 52's recommendation of a H2 buffer. More than likely any weight buffer will work in your 18"/mid-length system but it won't hurt to slow the cycling rate down. Mine is equivalent in weight to a H3.

Comment

• catorres1
            Bloodstained
            • May 2016

Awesome, thank you for the clarification. I do not currently have a buffer, spring or castle nut. So I will order an H2. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X