• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flatdarkearth
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Fastest 16" Barrel

So I want to have my cake and eat it too: I want the handiest rifle with the most velocity.

I'm 90% set on a 16". So my question is - what barrel is likely to give me the most velocity from a 16" length *with factory ammo*?

I've just read the (awful) thread on 5R/3 Poly, and gather that those options may actually give lower than average velocity for a given factory load. That may have saved me from a big disappointment, as prior to that I'd bought into the idea that 5R allows more V. (I have an ARP .223 Wylde barrel that appears to "benefit" from this phenomenon with factory ammo - now I don't know what to think about it.)

I won't be surprised if y'all come back that no such animal exists, or that I'm asking the wrong question. But I figure it's worth a shot.

Grendel in 16" is attractive to me because of all the things y'all already know: it does most of what a CSASS type build would do but lighter and easier to shoot. I was researching such a lightweight .308 build pretty hard a few weeks ago when I ran across LRRP's posts about all the reasons he's ditched .308 for 6.5. I've been reading up on it all since.

I like shooting long range with general-purpose rifles, but the above ARP lightweight .223 is pretty much out of gas at 750 yds. My threshold is a light-carrying gun that hits harder at 800 yds. Once I'm there, though, I might as well go for 1K. I also want it to be deadly to Texas critters at 300 and in.

I know I want a SAAMI chamber that fits an AA Hard use bolt. I'd like a Melonite type finish on an otherwise high quality barrel. I think my current front-runner is the PF Criterion. My only reservation is that 1:8 (as opposed to 1:7.5) may not do me any favors around 1K yds, from what I understand. I also want the barrel to be pretty close to 2lbs. I have some pretty particular ideas on what I want for the build, so I'll definitely be piecing it all together myself. Any suggestions are appreciated!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Go question on what barrel is going to give you the most speed.

You really cant go wrong with anything PF makes, I went JP because I could get a 18 sammi chambered barrel lighter then a 16 criterion and I wanted the black nitrated finish JP puts on their barrels its very strong.

Hope this info helps sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The Black Hole Weaponry polyogonal barrels generally produce higher velocity for the same length barrels. BHW is currently selling the 264 LBC in 1:8 twist if I remember correctly. I really would be surprised if a BHW produced 50 FPS more velocity out of a 16" barrel compared to a SAAMI 6.5 Grendel 1:7.5 twist AA fluted light weight barrel.

Run the numbers and you'll see 50 FPS is not significant in actual effective range. I prefer accuracy to actual velocity with the 6.5 Grendel. I think the most accurate barrel will provide the best results at long range regardless if it is 50 FPS slower. If I had the same goals as you I'd consider a Alexander Arms 16" fluted barrel, the Faxon group buy 16" barrel, 16" barrel from Precision Firearms or a JP 18" barrel with thread protector. A flash hider on a 16" barrel will be almost the same length and weight of the 18" JP 6.5 Grendel with a plain muzzle.

The 6.5 Grendel is a very light recoiling cartridge and by going to 18" you'll get that extra 50 FPS. Barrels are unique, some are slower than others and are manufactured side by side. With the change in temperature you'll get a change in velocity so velocities vary and you need to dope accordingly.

Whether that extra 50 FPS makes a difference in the trans sonic zone with the 16" 6.5 Grendel shooting at 1000 yards I can't say. It makes a difference on your elevation, I'm at 350' ASL and 800 yards plus is doable with a 16" 6.5 Grendel if you have a 20 MOA scope mount.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Of all the 16" and 18" barrels I have and have chronographed, the 16" AA barrel I have is pretty fast with factory ammo.

The issue is, velocity can vary barrel-to-barrel, but the 16" and 18" pipes tend to be very close to each other that I've chrono'd.

Another issue to consider is elevation above sea level. I'm pretty high up here in Utah, so I can get away with less barrel length due to lower air density.

If I was at sea level, I might lean to a 20" gun.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X