• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scout_vet
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

SBR choices

I live in WA state which means I can own a SBR but I can't make an SBR. If I wanted to make a 12.5" 6.5 grendel SBR does anyone know anything about buying factory SBR lowers?

****Disclaimer: I know most of you are probably not lawyers I'm just looking for opinions or personal experiences.****
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

SBR lowers?

I maybe wrong but the lower should be just a standard mil spec lower even if its upper is built to SBR length, dont think their is a special kind of lower to be used with a SBR upper.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

So by state law you're allowed Form 4s and not Form 1s correct? If you can post the statute we could do more to help you out.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• scout_vet
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        SBR lowers?

I maybe wrong but the lower should be just a standard mil spec lower even if its upper is built to SBR length, dont think their is a special kind of lower to be used with a SBR upper.
        It is possible to purchase a lower that is already registered and engraved as an SBR. You just need a form 4 to transfer.

Comment

• scout_vet
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by cory View Post
          So by state law you're allowed Form 4s and not Form 1s correct? If you can post the statute we could do more to help you out.
          I am at work right now so cant spend as much time on my phone looking for that right now but I will when I get home.

Basically a few years ago WA state changes the law to allow people to buy, sell, transfer or own an SBR but no where in the law does it say manufacture. Because of that the ATF is denying form 1s from WA state.

Comment

• scout_vet
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2016

Thank you Cory for making me do some research. It was not put out anywhere but according to the WA state legislature websites SB 6165 was signed by the governor and went into effect 6/9/16. Cant say I surprised the I-5 corridor is so liberal that they wouldn't want that reported.

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

Well next best thing is build a 12.5" 'pistol'.... I already have a 10.5" 5.56 with shockwave brace and am in the works of building a 12.5" 6.5g upper for it

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Both are pistols with ATF-approved braces.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X