Sounder Scout, Downed Sow & Nosler ABLR 129 gr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Sounder Scout, Downed Sow & Nosler ABLR 129 gr.

Well, despite the temps cooling off some during the course of the night, but the time the hogs came in, I had my shirt sleeves rolled up, hat off, boots off, and I was still just trying to stay cool.

There was good, but limited sign. A wallow and then a total of three pics of hogs from the previous two nights on the game camera indicated that the potential was there for a good night. The only problem was that the hogs came a 21:20 one night and 04:30 the next night. I sent my wife a text that I may not be home until after sun-up.

For the next 5 1/2 hours, I saw one deer and a couple of rabbits. Then something hog-like zipped across the trail that leads down to the feeder from the hill. I didn't think it was a deer, too short, but wasn't certain it was a hog either. I had my rifle up and ready for him when he busted out of the woods and came down to the feeder, but he was only the scout...

Not a head shot this time, but still close CNS. I was hoping for a little more soft tissue insight with this shot, expecting the bullet to go into the chest, which it did, and was lost because I tore open my last glove on a broken rib and that ended the exam. ERRRRRR!

However, what I saw was still interesting. The bullet apparently opened on impact, causing a racquetball sized wound just under the skin and then there was a nice wound track down under the shoulder blade and over the ribs until the bullet clipped one rib, broke through the next, and clipped another rib as it entered the chest cavity. Finger probing the gap (which is where I ruined the glove) revealed torn blood vessels that felt like they were at the top of the heart that was also damaged.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Looks like that bullet did well. Looking forward to more kills with that bullet

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Way to show patience, paid off with the larger sow, great hunt!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It looks like Nosler delivered on the advertised expansion with this bullet. That is very rapid expansion, and it seems to hold together well, being a bonded bullet.

With moderate Grendel velocities, they appear to be an excellent pair together.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X