• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 454bore
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

6mm grendel

After shooting my 6mm Krieger barrel for a few months the most consistent load seems to be 27.6 grains H-4895 and rem primers.
    10 shot groups average around 3/4 inch with the 105 Amax.
    Is that considered good enough.
    Working loads up with other bullets shoot about the same and I want to use the 105 Amax for hunting.
    They cost less and I've read they work well for deer.
    Last edited by 454bore; 07-23-2016, 03:52 AM.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

If it's an ar platform I would consider that good enough. If a bolt gun probably not good enough, but you can get a barrel sometimes that won't hold any better. Not likely with a Kreiger but possible.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 454bore View Post
      After shooting my 6mm Krieger barrel for a few months the most consistent load seems to be 27.6 grains H-4895 and rem primers.
      10 shot groups average around 3/4 inch with the 105 Amax...
      Did I read correctly? The average ten shot group is about 0.75 inches? How many different ten-shot groups go together to make that average?

For those of us that don't often shoot ten-shot groups, it is far more difficult to get a 3/4" group with ten shots than it is with 3-shot or 5-shot groups.

A lot will depend on what the "good enough" refers to. Remember that you are suggesting a consistency that is minute of mouse or deer's eyeball at 100 yards. This means that your rifle displays good enough accuracy for a whole bunch of interesting shooting disciplines, including being reasonably competitive in long range target shooting.

I hope we hear comments soon from folks like bwaites, LR1955, and LRRPF52 who do indeed shoot regularly in highly competitive matches.

Regarding the 105 A-MAX, the weight is fine for most North American deer or animals of similar size. The bullet is of cup and core construction, so should not over-expand even at the best velocities you are likely to see in your rifle and cartridge. Hornady's gel-test video suggests this is true. The real challenge is verifying that the bullet will still open at velocities of around 1800 to 2000 fps so you have decent hunting reach.

Hornady designed the A-MAX as a competitive target bullet, so have not published expansion characteristics. Nonetheless, a lot of hunters swear by it for hunting in several different calibers. Have you seen any gel or other tests that help define the minumum velocity for expanding beyond about one caliber?
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Jas. it can be done with an accurate bullet, I have done the 10 shot@ less than .75", with the Gmx rounds, @ 200 yds. In 6.5. Dime sized.

The 6mm Grrr round looks good. Less recoil for gals and youngsters.

Bill A. did a great thing by starting with the Beowulf--- then, the ultimate inside of usual hunt scenarios caliber- the 6.5 Grr.

Awesome that many have tweaked the round to diff calibers lately.

Next up- AI 6.5 Grr, & 6mm AI GRRR.---- It can compare to the 25-45 Sharps round. And the 6.5 Swede.

Von gruff started a revolution, quietly.... I helped to add to it, we are not done yet. We baddd ----------------we're nation wide... I just add what I can,,, Yahoooooooooo

Actually continent wide..
        Last edited by sneaky one; 07-25-2016, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• 454bore
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Sounds like the Amax is good enough.
          I might try some 80 grain TTSX bullets when they go on sale to get the velocity up and see if they will shoot sub MOA.
          The recoil is pretty light with my 22 inch barrel.
          I shoot the 123 Amax and SST's in my 18 inch 65grendel.
          I can't feel much difference in recoil between the two.
          I use a 450 bushmaster for a brush gun and the recoil doesn't bother me.
          Some use a muzzle break on the 450 but I think the recoil is easy to handle.
          Not near as much as a 45-70 GG loaded hot with 405 grain bullets.

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

I have a Robert whitley 6mm ar turbo. Found the 105 lapua scentar L shoots best jamed. 001 to .002 into the lands. This is a pretty typical 5 shot group at 100 yrds

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

One could repeatably take out flies with that one...

I would bet that a lot more went into that group than just an astoundingly well built rifle!
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Rickc...when I grow up, I want to shoot like you. Great shooting!
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Rickc
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

With Robert's upper and system you can do it too.

I give all the credit to him

Comment

• 454bore
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

That's a great group.
                    Like my 6mmAR so much I might take it hunting for coyotes.
                    I'm sticking with the 65grendel for deer.

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

Not a 6.5G, but I've killed alot of deer with a 7mm-08 and the 162 Amax. One of the most terminally devastating bullet I've witnessed.

I've personally had better luck with the Amax than the Berger VLD hunting. Try to avoid bone with either..

Old thread I just couldn't help myself lol.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

There's a new Hornady 108gr ELD-M 6mm with .536 G1/.270 G7 BCs.

Anyone with a 6mm AR/6mm Grendel might want to try that and report back.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SG4247
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2013

I am planning on it!
                          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Hoser1
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2015

What kind of price did you give for your kreiger barrel in 6mm, if ya dont mind me asking? I like the idea of the vast bullet selection that the 6mm offers.
                            And i dont see any thing wrong with your group, no real flyers, just a real nice group. If I could only get my 6.5 to do that I'd be very happy.

Comment

• Texas
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by 454bore View Post
                              10 shot groups average around 3/4 inch with the 105 Amax.
                              Is that considered good enough.
                              Working loads up with other bullets shoot about the same and I want to use the 105 Amax for hunting.
                              They cost less and I've read they work well for deer.

You asked an interesting question "Is that considered good enough." and you are the only one that can really answer that question.
                              I hunt pigs with a number of men who are benchrest shooters, and they are trying to ring every bit of accuracy out of their AR15 Grendels possible. I am happy with mine shooting MOA, and with any of the Grendels, they are accurate enough to kill pigs out to 400 yards, and the pig really doesn't know which rifle shot it. Up to 400 yds, mine is as good enough!

Comment

Working...
                              X