• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fatmatt
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

First AR build, got some questions

With CA's new "assault weapons" laws I figured it was finally time to get a few AR's before the well runs dry although it looks like there is already a way to stay compliant and not have to register your guns for later confiscation that will also enable retailers to keep selling them. Whatever, I'll take any excuse to buy a new gun so, thanks libs!
    Anyway, I bought a Fulton Armory AR-15 lower at my local gun shop and then ordered a lower parts kit w/ Geiselle SSA-E trigger from Palmetto State Armory. I was planning to do a ground up build myself but reading through some build threads, I've decided a complete upper might save me a few headaches for now. Like a lot of people I'm kind of conflicted on what I want from the gun. I primarily shoot from a bench at a 100 yd outdoor range and that's it. However, I'd like to be able to work my way up to the 1000 yd range that is a few hours away if I can ever find the time and even though I don't hunt, I'd like to build a rifle that would work for trompin' around in the woods all day in case I ever decide to start. Those considerations are what led me to recently discover the 6.5G. I'm thinking an 18" - 20" barrel is probably ideal. Has any one ever dealt with Top Notch Top Ends (TNTE) before? They have a package with a BHW barrel that is looking pretty good to me. - http://www.tntesales.com/18-entry-le...er-13-forearm/ -
    I've read mixed reviews on the internet, mostly having to do with horrendous delivery times and customer service but they all seem to be from a few years back and I haven't seen anyone complain about quality. Also thinking about the 18" lightweight complete from Alexander Arms or the Neptune EL-V-I from Precision Firearms. I'm open to any opinions on whats best, other things I ought maybe look at or whatever.
    Last edited by Fatmatt; 07-23-2016, 06:21 AM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Never heard of tntesales but there are a great many satisfied customers from Precicion Firearms and Alexander Arms. My recommendation especially since your in California is to buy from PF or AA as they are well established and respected.

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I've also read a great deal about JP Enterprises. I have a PF upper, extremely happy.

Comment

• Fatmatt
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2016

Thanks for the replies. I guess I won't take my chances with TNTE but if anyone else has feedback, I'd love to hear it. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Alexander Arms 18" Lightweight Complete Upper - http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp...ete_Upper.html - I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do a handguard upgrade, either the AWS four railed handguard or the MK 10 handguard. Any opinions? If I go Mk 10 should I go mid-length or rifle length? Also, does anyone have any opinions/knowledge on what muzzle treatment I should go with in CA? I was thinking of just getting the stock A2 flash hider but I'm not sure what qualifies as CA legal.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Not sure on CA muzzle trement rules so can help there.

AA makes a great product from all the reports I have read here, I have done some buisness with them and they lost me as a costumer due to their crappy billing and shipping methods.

PF and JP are two more good companys to buy from I have done buisness with both and their costumer service and products were of the highest quaility.

I have a JP lightweight barrel 18 inch and love it.

If your going to buy and then have to pay more to change a part to something you like more then the standard part it comes with I would build my upper instead of buying it that way you could have the exact parts you want and it will fit your needs better.

I built my second upper and it really is not hard at all to do, just source the best quility parts you can afford.

No matter if you build or buy Im sure you will love the grendel

Comment

• Grendelseeker
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

The "defeaturing" that you have to do in Calif. starting 1/1/17 is so crazy, I'm thinking it might be better for you to register and keep the ARness of it. Or get a job as LEO because guess what, even when retired they're exempt! Fins on the back of pistol grips? No removable mags? Pfft. If they come for it, move and take our money with you. We just better not let California become the national model or Texas will secede for sure! It won't be pretty.
            Last edited by Grendelseeker; 08-14-2016, 04:08 AM. Reason: too long

Comment

• Grendelseeker
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2016

I've also been tempted by the AA uppers, and Fatmatt your approach is reasonable. SSA-E trigger should be great from what I've read. I tried a CMC on a friend's which was really good but I hear the SSA-E can't be beat sp I'm going for that one too. Personally I've spent enough time lurking and drilling that I've decided on a custom configuration upper which I think I'll be able to pull off okay. I found out a hunting buddy built one last year with a non-recip side charger, and thanks to more drilling and advice here I think I've got a list of primary parts I want. Definitely a high degree of accuracy and even Bill Alexander commented somewhere that the custom barrels are a cut above standards past several hundred yards. I usually target shoot to at least 200 after initial zero and punching 1 hole groups at 100.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2016

barrel profiles

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

PF and JP are two more good companys to buy from I have done buisness with both and their costumer service and products were of the highest quaility.

I have a JP lightweight barrel 18 inch and love it.
                I like PF's site because the checkboxes make it relatively easy to configure an order.

AB, I'm trying to figure out what profile the Criterion 18" barrel on the PF site is when you don't check the HBAR or Bull barrel option. Is that the light weight one or standard? PF carries several of the great brands.

I'm not completely clear on the 720 and 920 profiles are...I saw drawings on Lilja's site but I do't know what a "standard" would be. My head's still exploding as I drill deeper

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Cant give a for sure answer on this but if you call or email PF they can give that answer for you on what that profile would be.

920 profile is a bull barrel and if im thinking correctly the 720 is like a hbar profile but I could be wrong on this.

A call or email to PF would be my first move.

Comment

• Fatmatt
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2016

After building my lower and re-reading the threads that scared me off of building an upper, I'm pretty sure tackling a full build will be doable. I love doing things myself plus if I spread the parts purchases out it doesn't sting so bad. Can you guys help me out with what my order of purchasing should be so I can build it Johnny Cash style (one piece at a time)? I've been looking at the JP Rifles website and here is my current list -

JP-15™ Upper Assembly Base Price: $1299
                    Upper Receiver: JP-15 Upper Receiver - Forged 7075-T6 aluminum top charge upper receiver - Approximate Weight: 0.6 lbs $0
                    Receiver Finish: Matte Black Receiver Color
                    Matte black anodized receiver set and hand guard. $0
                    Caliber: Caliber: 6.5 Grendel $0
                    Barrel: 18" 6.5 Grendel JP Supermatch™ cryogenically treated stainless steel barrel - 18" length ● 1:8 twist ● light contour - Approximate Weight: 1.9 lbs $0
                    Barrel/Comp Finish: Black Teflon - Black Teflon on barrel and muzzle treatment to give matte black finish $50
                    Muzzle Treatment: JPTRE-424 - JP Standard-Profile Compensator - 1" x 2.25" - .350 exit - Matte Black - Approximate Weight: 0.2 lbs $0
                    Muzzle Device Attachment: Blended attachment
                    The muzzle treatment is attached to the barrel via thread, timed and blended for seamless transition. No welding or pinning is used. $0
                    Hand Guard: JPHG3-1M-RC
                    JP MK III Hand Guard - Rapid Configuration Tube Rifle Length (12.5” OAL) for AR-15/M16-type rifle
                    Approximate Weight: 0.9 lbs $0
                    Gas System: JPGS-5B
                    JP Adjustable Gas System Low profile .750" bore Black Stainless
                    Approximate Weight: 0.2 lbs $0
                    Operating System: JPBC-3
                    JP Low Mass Stainless Carrier with JP EnhancedBolt™
                    Approximate Weight: 0.5 lbs $0
                    Magazines: - 6.5 Grendel 10-Round Magazine - $19.95 - C-Products 6.5 Grendel 10-Round Steel Magazine - Approximate Weight: 0.2 lbs* Quantity: 5 $99.75
                    Accessory Kit and Packaging: Standard Small Frame Upper Assembly Accessory Kit
                    Chamber brush
                    Rifle manual Ear plugs
                    JB bore compound - $0
                    Total Approximate Weight of Your Build: 4.3 lbs
                    *Estimate does not include weight of accessories.
                    Total price of your build: $1448.75

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

If I were going to build an upper I'd order the barrel and bolt or barrel and bolt carrier group first. Those will be the most expensive and likely to require a delay in shipping. JP has a good inventory and may ship pretty quick. I would buy the gas tube and gas block from JP if I ordered a JP barrel/bolt.

The other parts are not as critical, as long as the forged or billet upper is square and true, neither has a significant bearing on accuracy with an 18" barrel. If buying a forged upper I'd consider an upper receiver lapping tool and armorers wrench which will be needed for assembly. You can build a barrel clamp using wood or buy a metal clam shell to hold the barrel in the vise to install the barrel to the upper & attach a muzzle break or flash hider. You'll also need a torgue wrench. If you have Friend's it is a lot cheaper to borrow the tools than buy. If you have Friend who has assembled other AR-15's see if they'll assist you. I'd also get some blue Loctite.

The hand guard is completely personal preference but if I were spending the coin on a JP barrel I'd have to buy a JP hand guard and heat dissapator. I just really like the looks of the JP and they have top tier quality. The hand guard, scope and mount would be the last things I'd purchase.

Magazines can be purchased from different sources, JP mags are expensive if they are still C Products. I prefer E-Lander mags from AA but I have a few ASC I bought from 44 mag.com.

This might give you some ideas.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• BR17722
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

If you want the E-lander magazines I would go ahead and order them soon. Alexander Arms will not charge you for them until they ship but if the magazines are not in stock when you order you will probably have 3 to 8 weeks wait. They are worth the wait if you have the time.

T
                        member since 2004; unmembered in 2011 "spam" attack

Comment

• scubagreen
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2016

I just placed an order with Alaxander Arms today and the sales staff informed me that my 6.5 Grendel 16" Lite Barrel, Millennium Muzzle Device, 10-Round Magazine by E-Lander, and 24-Round Magazine by E-Lander were backordered at this time. They also stated that they didn't have any ETA on the items at this time. Looks like I'm going to be at the mercy of Alaxander Arms on my build.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Yes,,, if one waits too long to order,,..---waits can be too long. Shop around in the forum sales section... Hmmmm.. Double Hmmmm... Check it

Or if you live in or near VA., go apply for a job at AA. !!! I'm sure Bill & crew could use some help !
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 09-02-2016, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• scubagreen
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2016

Well Alaxander Arms didn't keep me waiting long! I received my entire order today. Everything that they had stated was backordered and the rest of my order. Now I get to finish my build. Everything looked excellent with just a quick glance over the parts. Looks like I'm going to have my build finished before hunting season rolls around!

Comment

Working...
                              X