• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

using tarnished brass,,,,,

so here is a question. has anyone ever taken their favorite accurate load and using only really tarnished brass tested it to see if its stays as accurate? i have not moved up to the SS pin cleaning of my brass and still tumble in media and alas sometimes i find brass in the shooting area that has been their awhile and is very tarnished, it just dont come shiney clean. its clean, but not shiney. so i wonder if it still mainains accuracy out to say 400-500 yards. oh i will test this myself but i just wonder if anyone has for themselves? i spose the reason is i can load it for hunting where i dont care to lose it. or maybe i am just really inquisitive "or bored" and just want to know. these kind of questions are what fill my mind on a daily basis. i really need to get a life. anyone?
  • hardtoseeovergut
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

I haven't ever noticed a difference in my DW 357 Max at 200 meters

Comment

• Boostmeister
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Generally speaking, as long as the brass is clean, you shouldn't see any impact in accuracy. Clean is the keyword, as brass that has not been cleaned can scratch your dies. When/if you ever convert to SS media cleaning, you will never go back. Should you get tempted and would like to try it on the cheap, you can obtain an inexpensive tumbler from Harbor Freight. I recommend the Frankford Arsenal media separator to rinse and separate the brass from the SS media. Good luck!

Comment

• terrywick4
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

you ever have your ss media stick to everything like it is statically charged? how do you stop it from doing it?

Originally posted by Boostmeister View Post
        Generally speaking, as long as the brass is clean, you shouldn't see any impact in accuracy. Clean is the keyword, as brass that has not been cleaned can scratch your dies. When/if you ever convert to SS media cleaning, you will never go back. Should you get tempted and would like to try it on the cheap, you can obtain an inexpensive tumbler from Harbor Freight. I recommend the Frankford Arsenal media separator to rinse and separate the brass from the SS media. Good luck!

Comment

• Boostmeister
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
          you ever have your ss media stick to everything like it is statically charged? how do you stop it from doing it?
          I've never had any issue with the SS media sticking to anything, however let me make sure that we are talking about the same process. I am using a wet tumbler with roughly five pounds of SS media pins. I add a couple tablespoons of Dawn dish liquid and a 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine (citric acid). I add the brass and add water to within a couple inches of the top, seal it up, and tumble for 3 - 4 hours. I then rinse the soap from the brass and SS media, then separate the brass and SS media using a Frankford Arsenal media separator.

I have used the above process in the Summer when it is warm and humid, and in the Winter when it is very cold and very dry, yet I have never seen the SS media stick to anything other than a magnet.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Clean it, size it- then tumble - polish it.

My methods for the last 3 years are- Lyman ultrasonic cleaner--- 4-6 Mins. Rinse clean water, dry . Lube, resize brass. Tumble in walnut shells. 1 hr.

Load a primer, load some powder- load some bullets to proper oal .

In between the steps, make sure the flash hole is clear, make sure No moisture is involved - in or outside. The canned compressed air units work well here Office Max. Idea.

I have an air compresser in the garage- it makes up for the cans. It's all good.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 07-26-2016, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

You can absolutely not use tarnished brass. Matter of fact, once tarnished it can only be used in the lbgrndl type XXLI chamber. I happen to have a gun with the proper chamber so if you would be so kind ship it to me.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

you should see my bpcr cases i don't even tumble them just wash them out with soap and water after each use and call it good... they don't get sized so as long as they are smooth and clean its good to go after one shot they look 100 years old
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• robertc1024
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                  Clean it, size it- then tumble - polish it.

My methods for the last 3 years are- Lyman ultrasonic cleaner--- 4-6 Mins. Rinse clean water, dry . Lube, resize brass. Tumble in walnut shells. 1 hr.

Load a primer, load some powder- load some bullets to proper oal .

In between the steps, make sure the flash hole is clear, make sure No moisture is involved - in or outside. The canned compressed air units work well here Office Max. Idea.

I have an air compresser in the garage- it makes up for the cans. It's all good.
                  Do you worry about funk in the primer pocket when you re-size them? I've been using a Lyman ultrasonic too - but I lube, re-size & then clean them. I obviously don't do it on cases that have obvious dirt on them. I'm just wondering if I'm doing it wrong. (on a side note, I'm enjoying your weather - I'm in St. Paul on a business trip. It's a lot nicer here than at home.)

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

do you guys realize i many times get all the way thru your responces and right at the end suddenly see the "send it to me" and figure out it was all BS? oh sure its funny to you but there i was hanging all the way on the responce and now i gotta try and foreget all of it!!!!!!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

Is that why you are known as dammitman?
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                      X