• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint_taylor95
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

New rifle not cycling correctly

I finally got my new PF 16" complete upper in the mail this weekend. I put it on the lower I built and went through the break in process that PF recommended. After shooting a few single shots with it, I loaded the mag with 3 shells. After the first shot, it ejected the empty but did not load the 2nd round. The 2nd round got caught and damaged the cartridge pretty bad.

Bear in mind, this is my first AR and I am a complete noob so I do not know much about it. I'm sure this problem has occurred many times before. Is it something that I have done when I built the lower? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you all need to know anything else to help me fix it.

I tried to post some pics so hopefully they uploaded.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

CT95:

You need to look at the Troubleshooting forum. There are several recent threads on your problem.

LR55

Comment

• lbbf
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2015

What mag are you using? I had a similar problem with ASC mags. I changed to Alexander Arms and haven't had a single problem since.

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

Make sure the mag is cleaned and then oiled well.

Comment

• davidj
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

What buffer are you using?
          Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

What length gas? Adjustable or nonadjustable gas block? What length buffer tube and weight of buffer? Who's mags?

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

One of mine started doing that. I ended up changing to an adjustable gas block but the cause was leakage at the block. Which equates to under gassed
              Last edited by rabiddawg; 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Clint_taylor95
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2016

I am using the asc 10 round mags with the blue. The buffer was a complete kit I bought, it's a PSA freedom buffer tube assembly and I put it on a Daniel defense collapsible stock.

The upper is a PF Neptune EL v-1 so it's non adjustable gas block. I can't imagine it being under gased with it coming from PF but you never know

I can try getting a couple of the AA mags and trying them. I loaded up my ASC mags earlier in the week to let them sit, I saw where someone said that May help in another forum.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

I want badly to agree with you that it isn't undergassed because I am a pf fan. I own two pf products.

That being said, I know that one of my AA guns started intermittently started failing to feed the next round. However, it always locked back on the last round. I did all the ez things first. Disassembled the bolt and cleaned everything; no change. I changed the ejector, extractor and their springs; no change. Then I removed the hand guard and saw a slight bit of fouling around the gas block and tube. I ordered a syrac adj. gas block, installed it, bedded it and the tube with loctite. No more problem.

If it's not the upper, about all it could be is the buffer weight, spring strength or interference sometwhere.

Mark Twain

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Post some pics of your malfunction.

This is a thread I started about mine. See if anything sounds or looks similar.

I decided to start a new thread since I figured out the cause of the accuracy problem with this gun. Lets just say that level cross hairs are a good thing. Here are pics of what my gun is doing: [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] Here is what i know about the gun: Alex Arms upper and lower 16" barrel. AA built gun. 10

Mark Twain

Comment

• Clint_taylor95
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2016

Rabbidawg, the first picture in that thread is exactly what the malfunction looks like in my rifle. I will shoot it again this weekend to try and get a better understanding of what's going on.

I don't know anyone that has an AR so I can't switch the lowers to see if that helps. I could try to get a different buffer to see if that helps if you all think it may. I'm not familiar workin on uppers so I don't think I'd want to start tinkering on the gas tube stuff especially with it being brand new.

I'll post pics this weekend of exactly what's going on and maybe that will give you all a better understanding of what I should do.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Get a weight on your buffer and give Mark a call or email. I'm sure he will take care of you.
                        Last edited by rabiddawg; 07-30-2016, 03:04 AM.

Mark Twain

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Failure To Feed with bolt over base

That's where the indentations on the brass are coming from when the bolt lugs ride over and smash the cartridge against the feed ramps.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Clint_taylor95
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2016

Any ideas what's the most probable cause LRRPF? Mags? Gas? Or buffer. Or any of the above. I haven't had a chance to check weight on buffer. Any ideas what it needs to be with this upper?

I'll oil the mags good then shoot and post pics to see if it still does this or if it helps

Comment

• Clint_taylor95
                              Unwashed
                              • Jan 2016

Update:

I weighed the buffer and it weighs right at 2.95 oz and spring is 10.5 inches long.

I ordered a few elander mags from AA and am waiting to see if they help.

Also, I contacted Mark at PF to see what he has to say about it, whether or not it mY be a gas issue since he did the upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X