• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomSawyerNW
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Nightforce BR or NXS

Was looking for some advice on the BR versus NXS Nightforce scope. It's taken no less than 2 years to get to this point (talking $$ here), and I think I'm going to take the plunge. I can get a used BR for $1100 from a friend (retail around $1400) 12-46 X 56 with an NP-R2 reticle. I plan to use it for target shooting, looking out to 600-1,000 yards.

I know the NXS is advertised to be a little more robust for field and hunting, and has a zero stop, as opposed to the BR version.

I don't have experience with scopes out to 600-1,000, but clarity at that distance is what keeps my interest in Nightforce. I know there's some other good ones out there, tho.

Anyone have any experience, suggestions?
    If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Nightforce Competition. No question.
    Bit more money I know but better to have more and not need it than less.......

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I have two NSX compacts and have shot alongside NF BR scopes in F Class.

The difference between the two are as a you say robustness, plus a few other features that favour hunters and military types, as opposed to target shooters civilians.

The focus/parallax adjustment on the BR is at the objective end of the scope. This means you have to get up out of a prone and reach forward over the rifle to focus it while looking though the ocular. The NSX and Competition scopes have a side-focus which is a lot easier as you do not have to break your shooting position.

The BR has removable turret caps in order to access the windage and elevation knobs. You need to keep these from getting lost once they come off. The NSX and Competition has waterproofed exposed turrets.

The BR and Competition advertises a coiled spring to improve tracking. It's the little knob/housing that protrudes at 45degrees offset to the windage and elevation knobs in the centre bulb of the scope. This is designed to improve repeatability by supplying more tension to the movable windage/elevation mechanism than normal leaf springs. This was originally an after-market idea to improve repeatability in Leupold Mk3 scopes and NF has taken this on board in their factory design. The NSX uses titanium leaf springs and I have never had any issues with tracking/repeatability..

Lastly, the 12-42 BR (I think '42' is what you meant) does not have a very generous elevation range. It only has 40MOA of total travel. NF sets the reticle at the optical middle of travel so you only have 20MOA up and 20 down. If you want to shoot at 1,000 in Grendel you will need at least 43MOA of elevation travel above a 100yd zero. The NF Competition series has slightly more travel; 45 and 55MOA. You don't want to be messing around with shims and I take it you will want to zero at 100yds. Some competition shooters zero at 300 to save a little elevation here.

Comment

• scottg
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2015

I have the 12-42 its a great scope on my Les Baer super varmint in 264. But I'am saving my pennies for the Competition. Side focus is nice, zero stop, lighter, and 13 more power. Have only shot out to 350yds but my BR is sweet.

Comment

• Fredman
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I like my BR. Love the reticule. If you just wanted to shoot at one specific distance, it's perfect. If you want to bounce around between 100 and 1000 yards, I'd step up.
          Accurate shooter usually has used NSX and Competitions for sale. Some are priced well. Occasionally there is a NSX 8-32 or 12-42 for sale.
          Last edited by Fredman; 07-26-2016, 12:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• watrob
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2016

The Competition range has ED glass, not sure if the BR range has it yet, also the Competition range is lighter if your chasing weight.

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Accurateshooter has a 42 power NSX used with no zero stop for $1550

Comment

• Fredman
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Now there is a used NF Comp for sale.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Thanks Klem, et al. A greatly appreciate your comments on something I don't have much experience with.

I responded a few days ago but apparently my answer didn't 'take'. Very good points. As it quickly turned out, I got an NSX 5.5-22 x 56 with a MOAR just yesterday. IMPRESSIVE scope! Just scoping to about 350 yards last night before dusk, and clarity is phenomenal. I had shot this same scope on a friend's .308 and hitting steel targets at 750 yards easily. I did need a scope that allowed various distances, as opposed to one or just a few long ranges, and that was one of the reasons I shied away from the BR.

I'll attach it to my 24" Les Baer today for 200-300 yards, and then in a couple weeks, be someplace where I can shoot 750 yards or more.

BTW, in my review, the IOR Valdada was also looking VERY interesting, and had some pretty good reviews. Cost was about 2/3's that of the Nightforce. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for everyone's response!
                  If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Fredman
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

I have a friend that has a IOR. NF kicks it's butt in clarity. But it is a well built scope.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Fredman, that's good to know. I was thinking of a Valdada as a secondary shorter-distance scope...if that day ever arrived when the wife wasn't watching so closely. It ain't easy being me, lol.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

if its principally going to be a target you may want to consider one of these http://www.coldshotusa.com/index.php/products in order to get around the short vertical travel of the bench rest and keep your adjustments in the center of adjustment for clarity sake
                        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
                        X