• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Small Hog 2fer Nosler Accubond LR

Not too long after getting in the stand, I spotted a single hog under the feeder with my thermal spotting scope. By the time the rifle was up and running, there were several small hogs under the feeder and a couple of more trotting in to feed.

This feeder does not spit much corn and I figured the hogs would not be under the feeder long, so despite having some trouble getting situated for the shot, I took the earliest shot I thought I would make well. I didn't shoot very much too soon as most of the corn was gone by the time of the shot.

I hit the boar broadside behind the shoulder and the sow was just a bonus hog, the bullet hitting her straight on at the top of the back and along the side (fragmented bullet).

The Nosler Accubond 129 gr. bullet performed well. It was fragmented as it exited the boar, peppering the sow with pieces, but still had plenty of punch to blast through her thoracic hump, breaking the spines (spinous processes) off of at least 3 thoracic vertebrate before entering the body cavity and traveling down into the abdomen, apparently rupturing the intestines.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Good shooting! I see now why you only remove the backstraps, for edibles. Nicely done DR. Bri
    Last edited by sneaky one; 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• jawbone
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

i always wondered how much oomph a bullet might have after a broadside pass-through. now i have a much better idea. and a special thanks for sparing us an armadillo necropsy.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Well, it was a small hog. I think the big issues are how much penetration you can get with a given bullet and how much penetration you can get after a bullet fragments (if it fragments). I managed to miss most of the heavier bone on the first hog and only hit ribs. My goal was to put it through the shoulder and I was a tad off.

This was my 3rd double on hogs and all have been with the Grendel and on smaller hogs. The previous two were with Hornady SST 123 gr. bullets and IIRC, the entry hole on the second hog was pretty large with both of those. I didn't get a pic of the entry before skinning with the current hog, but it was probably nickel-sized.

I thought the shrapnel was pretty neat and being on the other side of the hog initially confused me until reviewing the video.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Good video again and like getting those twofers on hogs/pigs

The more I shoot this bullet the more I am liking it. Haven't shot any hogs with it yet but hope to change that next week.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Bonus!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Beautiful! Loving that ABLR...
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chandler2112
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2015

Feral hogs -what a blight for farmers/ranchers in Texas.

From Smithsonian - "Wild hogs are among the most destructive invasive species in the United States today. Two million to six million of the animals are wreaking havoc in at least 39 states and four Canadian provinces; half are in Texas, where they do some $400 million in damages annually. They tear up recreational areas, occasionally even terrorizing tourists in state and national parks, and squeeze out other wildlife" and "Sows begin breeding at 6 to 8 months of age and have two litters of four to eight piglets—a dozen is not unheard of—every 12 to 15 months during a life span of 4 to 8 years. Even porcine populations reduced by 70 percent return to full strength within two or three years".

Sobering stats, if accurate. A link to the entire story published in 2011 is provided below.

Now numbering in the millions, these shockingly destructive and invasive wild hogs wreak havoc across the southern United States

Comment

Working...
                X