• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glock357
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

143 grain Hornady ELD-X load suggestions

I went to my gun supply store to get some bullets and powder and I picked up a few pounds of CFE223. When I was picking up bullets I saw the 143 grain ELD-X and I couldn't resist. So I picked up a box.

Only problem is I have no reference for load development. They might be too long for the Grendel at 1.44 inch long. Also my 1:8 twist rate barrel will barely stabilize the bullet at the potential velocity of 2500 fps. Also I won't be getting the full 0.625 CB either, it will be closer to 0.6 with 1:8 twist rate. But hey, now I have the bullets, I ll try to shoot them .

I found this post by bwild97 loading the Sierra 142 grain SMK which is 1.375 inch long. The Sierra is 0.065 shorter than the Hornady. bwild97 loaded the Sierra at 2.295 inch COAL. I figured I can load a COAL of 2.305 inch which will bring down the difference to 0.055 inch.

Load work up plan
    bwild97 lists powder vs. velocity work up from 28 to 30 grain of CFE223 for the Sierra. I was thinking to do the same and load 28 to 30 gr in 0.5 gr increments 5 rounds each to see what happens. Is this reasonable?
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

This looks interesting

I'll be impressed if you can get 2500fps. I'm predicting you end up closer to 2300fps.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Total lack of of intel. BBl. length, etc. GLOCK,,,,2200 is real- 2300 maybe. Ask RS of our trials on the 160 FMJ units. Bullet proof glass is a misnomer. ricsmall... get current!!

Bwild is in my fone list. Adapt , grow. It's so fun here.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 07-27-2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Glock357
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2016

Barrel length is the Brownell's 24 inch SS medium profile with Grendel II chamber, 1:8 twist 5R rifling, rifle length gas tube. At this point I have no expectations about velocities. My chronometer velocities with A-max factory loads were 2650 fps, similar to what others get with same barrel length. I referenced bewild97's 2500fps because it's the closes bullet and loads I could find. The ELD-X is longer so I expect lower powder weights and lower speeds.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Use .3 gr increments if the ogive isn't buried into the neck.

That bullet is long even for 6.5-08 class cartridges, and I personally like 130gr in .260 Remington, nothing more.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Glock357
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2016

Loading and range report

If you were following this thread I am posting load data and range reports here:
            After reviewing a multitude of threads from this forum and collecting load data suggestions from prominent members I loaded two bullets the Hornady ELD-X 143 gr and the A-max 123 gr with CFE 223. Yesterday morning I was at the range and tested the load and her is my report. Note that I use my posts on forums as my handloading

Comment

Working...
            X