• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watrob
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

Originally posted by qviking View Post
    What twist rate did you decide to use? My best friend and I are gathering components for a very similar build.
    Have gone with 1:9" twist, 26" barrel, I want the SG=1.50 or as close as possible, 1:8" or 1:8.5" twist increases that number and into a over stabilisation situation, benchrest is between the lowest of around SG=1.25 and not into the high SG=1.65 region?

Comment

• adamjp
      Warrior
      • Oct 2014

I reckon Ken Melgaard's 100gn bullets would work a treat on top of some 8208. Ken knows his way around a benchrest quality bullet.

Watrob, give me a yell if you need any local help.

Comment

• watrob
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
        I reckon Ken Melgaard's 100gn bullets would work a treat on top of some 8208. Ken knows his way around a benchrest quality bullet.

Watrob, give me a yell if you need any local help.
        I shoot Ken's 70 gr VLD's in my 22 PPC, they out shoot the Berger 70 gr VLD, unfortunately Ken has no 100 gr jackets, would prefer a 90 gr VLD but have now built this rifle around the Norma 100 gr Match BTHP. I wanted a heavier bullet to buck the wind at 200 yards and I don't like the recoil of the 30 BR.

Comment

• watrob
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2016

Just got back from my gunsmith, we tested the COAL of the Norma 100 grain bullet and settled at 2.350" sitting in the lands. As you can see in the attached photo this leaves me a lot of case room for powder.

Also if I go with a heavier bullet with a slimmer ogive it will not need to be seated any deeper into the case.

Will pick the rifle up tomorrow night and start the prep work to two-pack the Carbon Fibre stock.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by watrob; 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• watrob
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2016

I have attached a couple photo's of the nearly completed Grendel Bolt Action competition rifle, you can see from the photo what the carbon fibre stock looks like in its raw state, the action & barrel have been glass bedded & floated, will now 2 pack clear gloss coat the stock with about 8 coats with a sand between each coat, then 2 coats of a clear gloss Acrylic which gives it the deep look.

The LV class build is a Krieger Match SS 1:9"twist .264 26" barrel with long throat and a .293" neck, Jewell BR Trigger, Pearce Action SA, March Competition 10-60x52mm Scope, Carbon Fibre Stock, hand made alloy trigger guard, weight when painted 10lb -7.5oz (paint weight comes in at 1 and a half ounces).

In the rear of the stock behind the alloy butt plate is a tube that allows me to slide 8" of SS 1"diameter barrel cut off to increase weight when I want to shoot HV, the stock is 2" longer at the forearm to balance the rifle for LV as the barrel is 26" against the rifle in the photo in the background which is PPC with a 24" barrel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• watrob
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2016

Photo attached of the finished stock. 6.5 Grendel Bolt Action.
              Attached Files

Comment

• watrob
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2016

Thought you might like this, these are the first 6 shots from the Grendel bolt action at the range today. We did fire 10 round at the gunsmiths last week for head space, throat & leade so to be able to load the first lot of test cartridges.

Did a rough bore sight, aimed at bullseye, re-calibrated scope to the shot, re-aimed at bullseye and shot 5 shoots

Attached Files

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Very impressive, apparently your gunsmith is very knowledgable, great rifle and group!

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

I enthusiastically echo the very impressive!
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A1Vixen
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

Are there any news about that project?
                      Some good results in windy competition , other combination of powder and bullets...?

Comment

• AQBill
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by watrob View Post
                        Thought you might like this, these are the first 6 shots from the Grendel bolt action at the range today. We did fire 10 round at the gunsmiths last week for head space, throat & leade so to be able to load the first lot of test cartridges.

Did a rough bore sight, aimed at bullseye, re-calibrated scope to the shot, re-aimed at bullseye and shot 5 shoots

What distance?

Comment

Working...
                        X