• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • For Gallantry
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Barnes 120 gr TTSX

Has anyone got a go-to load using this bullet? I've experimented with Varget and Benchmark powders and bullet seating depths between 0.030" and 0.050" off the lands to no avail. My rifle will shoot ragged holes with Matchkings and Ballistic Tips, but I've not seen even MOA groups with these bullets. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough. I've got an 8 twist bbl and have been running them at mid-low to mid velocity. As these are about as long as a 130 gr cup & core bullet, maybe near max velocity is necessary to properly stabilize them? I'd just keep experimenting, but at $0.70/bullet I'd go broke.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I would try CFE223 and LVR with that bullet.

Do you have Volume II? It has many loads for the 120gr TTSX.

I would work up in .3gr increments with 120gr TTSX with CFE, not exceeding 31.2gr.

What chamber do you have?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Man,,,,, I made up some 110'S that were so cool. the 120' are a love child of 81 police for hogs. He wont try my lighter pills. He has had great luck with his 120 loads
      Last edited by sneaky one; 08-01-2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Kendoist4162
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2015

I just finished working up some loads with the TTSX 120's. Started with H335 and got to 2300 fps out of my 18" AA upper. Then switched to A2460 (love/hate those damn balls...;-) and got another 50 out before it felt I was pushing too much. Then I got some A2520 and added another 50, so I'm running 2400 ish fps with an SD of 18, ES of 34 with 29.4 gr. I set them 0.030" off the lands and do well on the accuracy. I've done similar work ups in 5.56 and .300 win mag and the groups all seem to get tighter as I go up the ladder. At first I thought it was really odd, but as long as fast is still safe, I'll run them. YYMV Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Kendoist4162; 08-05-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• For Gallantry
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2016

Thank you all for the replies.

LRRPF52, Im not sure about my chamber, I've got a Shilen match bbl from Midway.

I don't have any of the powders you guys have mentioned on hand, so I'm going to try a max charge of RL15 and see what happens. Both A2520 and CFE223 have intrigued me...may have to add them to my inventory.

Comment

• FW Conch
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

"FG", why do You feel you need the shoot a 120grn Barnes in the Grendel. I only shoot 85grn Barnes in my 250 Savage. When they took the TTSX to Africa, they used 130grn for the 308 all the way up to the 300 Wby. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I got 100grns for my Grendel.

Like You say, they are expensive to experiment with.

Comment

• Mopardoctor
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

I have used 30g of LVR with no problems other than turning the gas block down another notch. Wasn't shooting for group size, just function check. The 120g Barnes is longer at the base than other 120-123g bullets and uses more case space in the Grendel than other bullets. Powder compression could be a problem. You will get more impact energy downrange if you use the 100g Barnes. BTW, barrel was a 18" SS from Brownells.

Comment

• 81police
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                Man,,,,, I made up some 110'S that were so cool. the 120' are a love child of 81 police for hogs. He wont try my lighter pills. He has had great luck with his 120 loads
                Love child, I love it haha.

The AA loaded 120 TSX's and the Precision loaded 120 TTSX's both shoot 1/2" groups or just a hair over (@ 100 yards) in my 18" JP. Not sure of the velocity on the AA loads but the Precisions are listed at 2450. Deadly pork chop bustin' Barnes.
                John 11:25-26

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by For Gallantry View Post
                  ...The only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough. I've got an 8 twist bbl and have been running them at mid-low to mid velocity. As these are about as long as a 130 gr cup & core bullet, maybe near max velocity is necessary to properly stabilize them? I'd just keep experimenting, but at $0.70/bullet I'd go broke.
                  Probably not as much "max velocity" as getting near-max to max pressures. Copper in bullets can have yield strengths in excess of 50,000 psi which means that a lot of pressure is needed for the bullets to swage into the throat properly.

Benchmark might work, but you'l likely give up 100 fps compared to the fastest powders. That might limit your reliable expansion range a bit more than you like unless you plan to take shots closer than about 200 yards.

CFE223 might be better but you will need to compress the load quite a bit to get enough velocity.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

I think you are on the right track, I run 100gr barnes on top of 40gr Varget in a 6.5 BRM and they work great, the harder you push them the better they go. Sierra 100gr and 95gr hornady work better in my Howa 22in grendal, I have not found a way to push the Barnes hard enough in the Grendal yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X