• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2 Hogs Down With Experimental 94 gr. Hornady GMX

Video https://youtu.be/gI7fCKFEcvQ

It has been a while since I got a hog down in Bosque County, Texas. The oats were harvested and they keep rotating cattle between pastures and the cattle keep getting the corn from my feeder. So I have been left to random stalking areas where I think hogs might be and that hasn't proven terribly fruitful on the 1200 acres. So this week, I thought I would try calling coyotes and maybe a hog would walk by, maybe. That didn't work out at all. After 2 hours, the only hogs I had seen was a sow and two piglets that were in the pasture when I arrived in the truck, but they disappeared pretty quick.

I headed back to the truck to drop off the calling gear and get some water and then planned to stalk the areas around the bottoms and west pasture. Low and behold, there were hogs only about 150 yards beyond my truck! I dropped my unnecessary (noisy) gear in the road and made the approach to my truck. The wind was in my favor, but the dry, crunchy grass made a LOT of noise and so I didn't make it very far beyond my truck before setting up to shoot.

I shot 3 hogs, the first hog being hit twice that I heard, but he managed to get away. So no information on him. This happened before the DVR spooled up and was recording. That was my mistake.

The next two hogs I picked up on the run, the first dropping in place (liver and heart damage) and the second managing about 70 yards (liver and lung damage). No bullets were recovered on these two because of overpenetration.

As Hunt Tx Hogs has pointed out to me, Grendel velocity may be a bit low for Hornady GMX ammo (citing Chuck Hawks), failing to get the full potential out of it. I have a few more rounds to try and see if the results are duplicated. (http://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_GMX_bullets.htm) Without recovering the boar shot before the DVR was spooled up, won't know the bullet performance on him and he was the only real chance for bullet recovery given his size.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 11-01-2017, 01:31 AM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Another great video! We all have our own ideas what works best, and those bullets seem to be perfect for deer hunting in my neck of the woods. I like penetration with an entrance and exit with minimal damage to the surrounding area saving as much meat as possible. Thank's again for posting these bullet reviews and videos, they are professionally done.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Great shooting on the run. Damage is typical on the deer I shoot. As for the speed loss, I checked my digital scale for accuracy, to compare charge to charge.

The ammo I sent was 1.1 grains too low- which equates to ~ 100 fps. differences. The Tare button needs to be pushed every time the scale is used. OOPSIE, still worked out.

I run these @ 2850-60 usually. Still a zombie & hog killer at a tic slower speed.

Awesome result. Do you have an idea where the hog 1 went to die? The bigger one.

Thanks for being a Grendel fan, busy everynight shooter, - vids are sweet. Analysis, with the knife is surgeon like. Thanks for accepting me as a trustworthy loader. It is a leap of faith.

When do you ever sleep? You are a role model for fellow Texans to do this hog hunting, I bet.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

LOL, If I thought I knew where the big boar was, I would go back and find him like I did with two of the boars in the oats field during the Berger tests. After the blood trail stopped, I searched a fan shaped area that included going into the next pasture. I gave up after about an hour. I found a lot of limestone boulders that showed up on thermal that looked like they could be a dead hog, but weren't. That is really frustrating.

Sleep? I slept some in 2008 and again in 2013. ;-)
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• IceAxe
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Nice job! and thanks again.

Comment

• jawbone
            Warrior
            • Jan 2012

always a fan of your vids, 00Spy. and very much appreciate the helpful data.

Comment

Working...
            X