AA GSR Complete or AA Entry w/ Shilen upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelseeker
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

AA GSR Complete or AA Entry w/ Shilen upgrade?

Okay guys, my first thread started and I hope it's in the right place. I've done a fair amount of reading but only a keyboard barbarian at this point. So be easy on the newbie.

AR platform. So, I want to keep the weight down (and price, but I feel mission creep already setting in) but go the distance. 600 yards anyway, so likely a 20" tube. I want very sub-MOA accuracy @ 100, that's a must. Experienced handloader.

Not sure I can pull off a good build from scratch because I've never done one before so considering a completed upper. Looking at AA. So, I'd like to understand if I would have a more accurate rifle going with an AA Entry 20" Complete with a Shilen upgrade, or a GSR Complete, or would they be the same? (actually would go side charger for that price) Also, I'm attracted to flutes which the GSR has but Entry even with Shilen doesn't. Wondering as well how much weight the fluting drops. A lot of decisions, even with a completed upper. Probably do a brake in either case.

I'm guessing the gas block, bolt, maybe trigger and other parts of the GSR are of higher quality or tighter specs. but don't know that for sure.

$1140 vs $2050 Optioned, the Entry would be $900 less than the GSR.

Thoughts?
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Grendelseeker View Post
    ...Also, I'm attracted to flutes which the GSR has but Entry even with Shilen doesn't. Wondering as well how much weight the fluting drops.

Thoughts?
    Lilja advertises the following weights for their fluted and non-fluted 17" M4 barrel'
    Non fluted; 2.18lbs
    Fluted 2lbs.

Not a lot of overall weight reduction (8%) but it depends how much meat comes off and how much you are willing to pay for about 10%.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

You handload your own ammo so with that I would say either offering from AA would do you just fine.

Anouther place to look for a complete upper is PF, Mark builds some top shelf uppers and are very accurate and you get more options to choose from as far as parts go.

I dont have a upper from PF but I do have some of PF's parts in my upper and Marks parts are top shelf quiality and PF's customer service is great as well.

My own oipinion is to source your parts and build your own, it really isnt hard at all to do just dont use cheap parts. The members here can walk you throw any question you would have on how to build a very accurate AR grendel rifle and or upper.

Hope this helps you sir.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

Thank you A5 for your input. You are certainly right about expanding the options when building from scratch. The info on fluting you provided helps.

My reservation about building my own upper revolves around gas tubes, adjustable gas blocks, and the interaction of changing pressures there and buffer spring tensions. It reminds me of the interaction of seating depths and powder charges in the hand loading process. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I don't want to get it wrong and spend lots of time going in circles changing variables to chase ejection issues and and loads.

After more feedback here on barrels, maybe I should move this thread over to the "Building, guys helping guys" area.

Mucho appreciado.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

If you decide to build your own one of the Build Boxes would help and building your own you will know your AR in much more detail than buying a completed one. LRRPF52 on here sells the build boxes and Grendel loading books on the following site, The loading books are well worth the $ for both loads and information about the Grendel cartridge

If I were buying an upper no hesitation on an AA or PF already built.
          Last edited by kmon; 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

Good stuff, thanks metromess dweller. Dang it's hot down here! This 6.5 I'm planning on will def go after some hogs.

Comment

Working...
            X