X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glock357
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

Handloads and range report: Hornady ELD-X 143 gr and A-max 123 gr with CFE 223

After reviewing a multitude of threads from this forum and collecting load data suggestions from prominent members I loaded two bullets the Hornady ELD-X 143 gr and the A-max 123 gr with CFE 223. Yesterday morning I was at the range and tested the load and her is my report.

Note that I use my posts on forums as my handloading notes for future reference so they might be tediously detailed some times.

Some preliminary data:
    All the cases I use for the following data are new Hornady brass. The reason for this is that I just got a new Grendel and thus I don't have enough fired brass yet.

Case length: I use the Lee case trimmer to trim brass to 1.512 inch.
    Case resizing: I use the Lee full length resizing dies and I always full length resize new and old brass. I check the result with the Wilson gauge for QA. I have an AR style rifle.
    Case capacity: the case capacity of a once fired Hornady case that was not resized or deprimed is 36.3 grains of water. Note that the case capacity is almost identical to my measurements for my 6.8 SPC which for Hornady was 36.6 grains of water. I don't know if this was intentional.
    Distance to lands COAL: 143 ELD-X is 2.4345 inch and 123 A-max is 2.358 inch for comparison.
    COAL I ways like to load to magazine length to maximize case capacity and reduce pressure, and some time I load longer than mag length but I try to stay at least 0.031-0.05 inch away from the lands. The Berger bullets website has a good explanation for this practice. For this session the A-max was loaded to COALs between 2.301 to 2.305 inch while the ELD-X was loaded to 2.301-2.305 from 28 to 30 grains while for 30.5 and 31 grains it was loaded at 2.405 inch. The latter distance leaves the bullet to 0.034 inch off the lands and allows more powder without excessive compression. Also for my rifle and the PRI magazines I used it allow loading one long round in the magazine and feeding it that way. The PRI and ASC magazines allow loading 2.305 inch COAL rounds comfortably.
    Bullet information:
    Hornady ELD-X 143 gr, 1.440 inch long with 0.625 BC. Distance to lands COAL 2.434 inch
    Hornady A-max 123 gr, 1.234 inch long with 0.510 BC. Distance to lands COAL 2.354 inch
    Crimp: because I load for the AR I always put a light crimp on my bullets using the Lee factory crimp. Since I always load to mag length crimping is even more important.
    Rifle information: AR15 style with 24 inch Brownells/Satern barrel with Grendel II chamber, medium profile, rifle gas and 1:8 inch twist. If I understand correctly the Grendel II chamber does not have the SAAMI Grendel compound throat. Muzzle has thread protector until I can save for a silencer.
    Load data:
    Primers: CCI41. These are magnum military style primers with thick walls. They are brass color as opposed to silver.
    143 ELD-X: powder CFE 223 from 28 to 30 grains 0.5 grains increment 3 rounds each at COAL 2.302 to 2.305 inch. At 29.5 grains the powder begins to be compressed. From 30.5 to 31 grains I increased COAL to 2.405 inch. At this COAL the powder only lightly compressed. Note that I didn't adjust the seating die when plodder was compressed that's why the COAL increased from 2.302 to 2.305.
    123 A-max: powder CFE 223 from 31 to 32.5 grains at COAL from 2.301. The fact that COAL didn't change also shows that the powder is not compressed. For each powder weight I loaded 4 rounds.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    This last picture shows the portion of the neck that touches the bullet when loaded to 2.305 inches long.

Range report:
    Weather: 82F, 88% humidity, 29.83 inch Hg, no wind
    Chronograph: Caldwell chrono connected with iPhone app 10 feet from muzzle.
    Range: 100 yards
    Targets: custom target with 1 inch diameter circle increments.
    Results: I will post results as charts of powder weight vs. velocity and group size. I ll include some older results with XBR and Benchmark powders.
    Last edited by Glock357; 08-08-2016, 04:47 AM.
  • Glock357
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

Range report charts

So here are the results:

image.jpeg
    ELD-X 143 gr with CFE223. Note that the first data points are at COAL of 2.305 inches while the last 2 are with COAL of 2.405 inches
    image.png
    A-max 123 gr with CFE 223. Loaded at 2.301 inches
    image.jpeg
    For comparison I am showing A-max 123 gr with XBR and
    image.png
    A-max 123 gr with Benchmark.

Comment

• rothirsch
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2015

Great work. Up thanks for sharing your data
      Ret. Air Force
      NRA Lifer, NRA Basic Pistol, NRA RSO, Deutche Auschlander Jaeger, IDPA CCP Novice

Comment

• Glock357
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2016

Comments

Accuracy
        Benchmark is the most accurate with the smallest groups but with slower speeds. Next is XBR with medium speeds and fairly good accuracy.
        CFE is not as accurate with >MOA accuracy, but much higher speeds. This was was with only 3 bullets so it will be worse with 5 bullet groups. The ELD-X doesn't group very well and had a point of impact 3 inches higher than the A-max. The A-max with all powders had a point of impact almost the same as the Hornady factory loads. This is very useful as zero does not have to adjusted by much.

This was an interesting experiment for the ELD-X. I am not sure if I should persue further development for more accurate loads, probably not worth it.

Now the A-max showed some impressive speeds. My plan is to refine the 32 gr + or - in finer increments and vary COAL to see if I can increase accuracy. I am not sure if I can achieve accuracies as good as the ones with the Benchmark powder.

Comment

• Glock357
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by rothirsch View Post
          Great work. Up thanks for sharing your data
          Thank you, it's a contribution to the great knowledge base of this forum.

Comment

• Glock357
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2016

Fired cases and pressure estimates

I have no way of testing pressures, so I resort to the witchcraft of brass and primer reading .

As I was firing I made sure to carefully inspect the brass for danger signs. This is something that one gains through experience. I stopped shooting when I saw severely flattened primers, or when I saw that the case brass was flowing into the ejector pin, or the ejector would dent the brass. In the worst case fired brass didn't look worse than the Hornady factory load brass.

Here are some pictures of the cases and I will also post case diameter measurements.
            The first 2 pics are for the ELD-X bullet:
            image.jpeg
            The first set is rounds fired with COAL of 2.302 from left to right 28 to 30 gr.
            image.jpeg
            The second set are cases with coal 2.405 from left to right 30.5 and 31 gr. Notice the primer cratering for the last 2 powder weights.

The following brass picture is for the A-max:
            image.jpeg
            From left to right powder is 31 to 32.5 grains. The last two powder weights have some cratering on the primers.
            Last edited by Glock357; 08-08-2016, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• Glock357
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

Pressure measurements: brass base diameter

In trying to come up with a more objective pressure indicator metric I noticed that some reloaders on this forum measure the diameter of the brass case base near the rim, i.e. Right at the feed ramp of the barrel extension. The theory is that diameter expansion is proportional to pressure.
              image.jpeg
              Now I don't know what good numbers are but here are my measurements:
              1. ELD-X 143 gr and CFE 223 from 28 to 31 grain
              2. A-max 123 gr and CFE 223 from 31 to 32.5 grain

These are averages of 3 measurements.

The trends show increasing diameters with powder weight indicating increasing pressures but is this reasonable?

For comparison Hornady unfired brass be it resized or not is exactly 0.438 inches in diameter. Hornady factory fired brass is 0.4405 inches diameter. These are averages of 10 measurements.

Surely some of the loads above have higher pressures than the Hornady factory. The powder weights that have the same expansion as the Hornady factory ones are 29.5 grains for ELD-X and 32 gr for A-max. I would call those as safe loads. Does this make sense?

When we correlate the case base diameter with the primer cratering we see that when the base diameter is 0.441 we get primer cratering. Note that I am using the CCI41 primers that have thick walls, so this correlation will be different for other primers.
              Last edited by Glock357; 08-08-2016, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Thank you for the detailed workup. It appears that the 30.5 and 31.0 gr picture shows not only flattened primers but also craters in the firing pin indentation, I would not attempt that at home.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

I would like to see a test of the 143 gr ELD-X with Leverevelotion powder....hmmm maybe I should try.
                  "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Great report. Thanks for taking the time! Did I miss barrel length?
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• IceAxe
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      Great report. Thanks for taking the time! Did I miss barrel length?
                      He is indicating a 24 inch barrel.

Comment

• Glock357
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                        Thank you for the detailed workup. It appears that the 30.5 and 31.0 gr picture shows not only flattened primers but also craters in the firing pin indentation, I would not attempt that at home.
                        Yes, it looks like it. I was hoping with the increased COAL it would also reduce pressures, but not really, there was a significant jump in velocity but yes. The high pressures are also confirmed with the case base diameter measurements. Probably staying at 29.5 gr and below is safer.

Actually, looking at the speed vs. groups chart 28.5 grains might be the best option. Unless it's a fluke the 3 bullets were on top of each other.
                        image.jpeg
                        Last edited by Glock357; 08-08-2016, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Glock357
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by 6.5 Grendel View Post
                          I would like to see a test of the 143 gr ELD-X with Leverevelotion powder....hmmm maybe I should try.
                          I was tempted to get a pound of LVR when I was at the store but then I didn't. From the reports I see here on the forum it appears a tad slower than the CFE and it might be a better powder for the ELD-X. I can send you a few bullets if you are interested to try.

Comment

• Glock357
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by IceAxe View Post
                            He is indicating a 24 inch barrel.
                            Yes 24 inch

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Glock357 View Post
                              I was tempted to get a pound of LVR when I was at the store but then I didn't. From the reports I see here on the forum it appears a tad slower than the CFE and it might be a better powder for the ELD-X. I can send you a few bullets if you are interested to try.
                              Man, that would be sweet. I'll send my address to you and post the results.
                              "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

Working...
                              X