• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

New 12" Grendel pistol

Here is my new build. Going to try XBR/100grn TTSX for initial load development.

Jakal 6.5Grendel pistol.jpg

Called Barnes about minimum opening velocity for the TTSX. They stated around 2000 fps. The 458 caliber TTSX opens down to 1100 fps.

Would there be a better bullet to use that opens at a lower speed?

Ballistics shows about 240 yard max before dropping below 2000 fps.

6.5 Grendel pistol
    Lilja 12.875" barrel*
    carbine gas 1:8 right twist
    Spikes Jack billet lower
    Seekins billet upper
    Seekins NOXs 9" rail
    BCM Mod4 ambi latch
    NiB BCG
    Geissele SSAE trigger
    Thordsen Customs cheek assist
    Burris Fastfire III
    Last edited by Jakal; 08-09-2016, 02:51 PM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

If I were looking for a load for a pistol I'd load some Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tip hunting bullets or Nosler 100 grain Partitions. I'd try shooting them into gallon jugs of water at 50 to 100 yards to see if you get any expansion. I have bought some 100 grain A-Max to try and plan on testing them in water. The 85 grain, 100 grain Sierra varmint, 95 grain V-Max and 90 grain Speer TNT shoot good in the 6.5 Grendel. These bullets are more frangiable than the Noslers but still get pretty good penetration in water where I wouldn't hesitate using them for defense

I really like the Nosler 100 grain BT, very accurate bullet and in my test held together good in water out of my 16" 6.5 Grendel. I shot a good size water melon with the 100 grain Nosler BT and the results were pretty impressive.

If your wanting a deeper penetrating bullet I checked and the Nosler 100 grain Partition has a minimum recommended velocity of 1800 FPS.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Jakal
      Warrior
      • May 2014

Thanks Vascar,

This will mainly be for close-in Deer/Coyote hunting (300 yards and less) and Self-Defense (hopefully that will never be needed). Frangible rounds are not desired but neither is a hard bullet, looking for something that will open up nicely at slower speeds ~1600 fps.

Need to chrony this pistol with factory SST rounds and see where everything is running. I have loads for my 2 20" rifles. 123 SST/31.6grn CFE 223 and 123 Scenar/27.9grn of AR-Comp. Not sure if this these will work but would suspect so. I will need to chrony and run the numbers.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I was reading about the 120 grain Nosler E-Tip (BC .497 G-1) which is a solid projectile but supposed to expand down to 1800 FPS but still has a higher BC than some of the hundred grain bullets. This might add some range over the 100 grain TTSX with lower BC.

David Fortier posted these chronograph results for a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel and might help until you can chronograph your 12" 6.5 Grendel.

Alexander Arms 12.5 inch 6.5mm Grendel
        Alexander Arms 100 grain Berger OTM 2470
        Alexander Arms 123 grain Scenar OTM 2330
        Velocity figures are 10 shot averages recorded on an Oehler 35P placed 12 feet from the muzzle 1,030 feet above Sea Level at an ambient temperature of 30 degrees F.

*Note the low temps with the 12.5 inch gun
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-10-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

I had seen that thread when I did a search for load data. xbr + 100 + barnes (copy and paste into the search bar). I will look at the Nosler 120 E tip.

If those are speeds are correct, I am amazed at the velocity for a 12.5" barrel. My Lilja 20" shoots the 123SST/31.6 CFE at 2525 fps and the Bartlein shoots the 123Scenar/27.9AR-Comp at 2475fps. That's only 145 fps difference on the Scenar load.

Not sure how that extra 7.5" isn't getting more speed over the 12.5" barrel??? That's only about 19.3fps / inch.

For the AA OTM 123grn Scenar....I am contacting Lapua to find the minimum opening velocity for this bullet.

Velocity Bullet Wt. Sight in at Ball Coef. Sight Ht. Intervals Mx Range
          2330 123 210 .527 2.715 10 500

Muz Elv Temp Altitude Wind mph Wind dir
          0 65 765 0 0

Range Velocity Impact Energy
          120 2148 2.9 1260 Max PBR
          210 2019 0 1113
          280 1922 -6.99 1009 Minimum kill energy for deer (supposedly)
          370 1812 -18.8 887 1800 fps minimum opening velocity???

This means I should be able to get out to 280 yards and still make a clean kill, if the 123grn Scenar will open at 1800 fps.

I did call Hornady and asked about their 6.5mm 123grn SST, minimum opening velocity was stated at 1800 fps., so this bullet may work and I already have a load for it....will wait for an answer from Lapua on the 123grn Scenar.
          Last edited by Jakal; 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

If you don't mind posting your results, I have the same barrel but mine is Nitrided and a sbr. I need to learn to reload, that's on my to do list after I move. Before the 30th of August, ugh
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

Well I purchased a LabRadar, hopefully it will ship in the next few weeks. My CED M2 is just not reliable at this point (7 years old) and I am tired of fighting with the damn sunscreens and IR pack. Once it gets in and I get it figured out, I will report back with info.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range.

Opens up down to 1300fps, BC is .553 G1.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
                  Well I purchased a LabRadar, hopefully it will ship in the next few weeks. My CED M2 is just not reliable at this point (7 years old) and I am tired of fighting with the damn sunscreens and IR pack. Once it gets in and I get it figured out, I will report back with info.

I look forward to seeing your results and your critique of the Lab Radar.

Comment

• danm
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2014

Man I LOVE that pistol, my next build will be a 12.5" upper for my .556 pistol lower... Can't wait for your chrono numbers!

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

LRRPF52-- Glad to hear you are feeling better! Getting old's a bitch, ain't it! I will look at your recommendation. Seems to fit what I am looking for.

Looks like the LabRadr should ship this week. I'll have to order in some of the Nosler Accubond's and get a charge ladder built.

Hopefully I can get some numbers for the pistol and 123 SST factory loads reported back soon. I need to baseline my 20" Lilja and Bartlein loads also.

If it shoots as good as it looks then I will be a real happy guy!

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range.

Opens up down to 1300fps, BC is .553 G1.
                        Agree and like you have stated before they just don't like to slow down.

Comment

• Jakal
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

I ran the numbers of the Nosler 129 LR AccuBond via Handloads.com and have to say that looks quite impressive. I have a box of them on the way and the LabRadar should be here tomorrow!
                          Will be a charge ladder or two this weekend.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I'll volunteer to be your gofer. South Eastern Illinois can't be that far from Southern Indiana. I even used to instruct RADAR and Lidar. lol

Comment

• Jakal
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

Vascar2 Thanks for volunteering but the LabRadar showed up today! The Nosler 129 ABLR's should be here tomorrow.

I reviewed the Grendel handbooks and ammoguide.com and have not been able to find a load for this bullet.

At Nosler's site they show these powders I have on hand...

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

CFE223
                              XBR8208
                              TAC
                              H4895

... Other powders on hand, not listed; but may work..
                              AR-COMP
                              BENCHMARK
                              RL-7
                              VARGET
                              IMR-4198
                              IMR-4227

Any "goto" proofed loads? Tell ya about the LabRadar in a new thread..!
                              Last edited by Jakal; 08-26-2016, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X