• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

125 partititon lever data

Have been trying to find a load for this bullet without much success. Ran a ladder with lever up to 31.8 gr. I was testing multiple rifles and somehow misplaced the sheet I had the chrono data on. In my load book however I had the top end velocity at 31.2 of 2468 and 2480 at 31.5 gr. At 31.8 the velocity was flat.The node looked to be at the top end so loaded 5 at 31.2 and 5 at 31.5. specs below.

18" 264 LBC, Lapua brass(2x fired), CCI 41,2.240 COAL 85 degrees, 75% RH

31.2 gr lever 2468 ES 20 5 shots 1.01"
    31.5 lever 2480 33ES 5 shots 2.0"

Based on the chrono data 31.5 looked to be max as the velocity was flat at 31.8.
    I had loaded the two 5 shot strings at the range after running the ladder and ran out of time to test further. If I can refine the load and keep it at 1" or less at 2450 ish I will be happy. Just looking for another option for fall. FWIW in multiple calibers including a custom 7mag that shoots consistent 1/2 moa I have not been able to get very good accuracy results with partitions in general. more testing to come.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have a Friend who has shot 264 Win Mag a lot over the years and he says the 125 grain partition bullet doesn't usually show the best accuracy. My Friend speculates it is due to the bullets construction with a devider between the lead in the base and the nose. This bullet always provided adequate hunting accuracy on big game but was never as accurate as other bullet designs.

I bought some of the 100 grain partitions and 125 grain Nosler partitions but I have never got around to testing them. My Friend shot bullets from 85 grain Sierra varmint to the 140 grain weight cup and core bullets. My Friend has done a lot of shooting in his younger years and he is usually spot on so I would be surprised if you find significantly more accuracy with this bullet. I really don't think the design of the partition has changed in the last few years.

A powder which I have been wanting to test is AR Comp which might work with this bullet. I had good accuracy with Winchester 748 in the 6.5 Grendel with 123 grain bullets but 748 didn't produce as much velocity as CFE 223. Another powder worth trying is Accurate 2520.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-09-2016, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

I have been loading Partitions in various calibers for over 35 years. 1 to 1.25 inch groups @ 100 yards is what I expect from partitions but they are great bullets for game as they were designed for and that is plenty of accuracy for what I want a partition to do.

I have used 224, 244, 257, 264, 284, 308, 357, 358. 429 and 458 partitions on game over the years and cannot recall ever having to shoot any game animal more than once with one. Have used those on critters from head shot rabbits to mature bull elk. I have yet to recover a partition from game, like John Wooters once wrote shoot a deer in the boiler room with a partition and its will to escape goes out the other side.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

My findings over the last 25+ years have been as described here, the partition usually hovers around 1moa regardless of quality of barrel. They will anchor a game animal though. IIRC the best partition groups I've experienced were 220 gr out of a left hand savage 300 win mag of my dads that he bought eons ago.

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

I tried AR comp with the 123 sst and groups were 1.3-1.5". With 8208 they will shoot 3/4" average. I'm going to load a bunch and do some 200 yd testing with the sst and the partition before I decide on a hunting bullet for the fall.

Comment

Working...
          X