• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WanderingZero
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

First build complete - lightweight hunter

Just finished my first build, also my first Grendel and my first AR. Haven't shot her yet but she's all together now. Primary goal for this build was a lightweight, short range deer rifle. I hunt in the woods, and shots are usually 50-75 yards, sometimes much closer. The longest range I've ever taken a deer was not much over 100 yards, but I wanted this carbine to be capable to 200-250 yards just in case. Opportunities are usually fleeting so I put a premium on balance and responsiveness. I'm a believer in moderate velocity and good sectional density, and the Grendel seemed to fit this bill well.

Upper and lower are Aero Precision. Lower parts kit is from Tom's Tactical, with their upgraded nickel-teflon trigger group. Same idea as the better known ALG ACT trigger, but at a lower cost. I've heard good things about the ALG trigger, but after trying this one out I can't imagine the ALG trigger being much better. I don't have a trigger pull scale but I'd guess a pull weight of around 6 pounds, extremely crisp. At first I could detect just the faintest bit of creep if I really concentrated, but after just a bit of dry firing it seems to have entirely disappeared. Excellent trigger.

Stock is MFT Minimalist, which came with the lower parts kit from Tom's along with a milspec buffer tube and standard carbine buffer. Tom's has a very good price for this package and I recommend it. They also offer other stock and grip combinations.

Grip is a Larue A-PEG. The first grip I tried looked nice but just did not fit my hand properly. At first I had dismissed the Larue grip based solely on looks but after looking at it and thinking about it some more I realized it was designed to appeal to the hand rather than to the eye. I gave it a try and the feel and fit is perfect for my slightly larger than medium hands. It fits my hand well without being bulky and feels great.

Barrel is Alexander Arms' 16 inch fluted stainless lightweight. Gas tube is JP adjustable, clamp on. Rail is ALG EMR M-lok. I don't plan on adding any attachments, but the light weight, low profile and feel in the hand are perfect for my purposes. I also very much liked ALG's mounting system with its included barrel nut, wrench and shims which do away with the need for a torque wrench. Installation was easy.

BCG is from Odin Works.

The scope is a Leupold 2.5x20 in an Aero mount. Combined weight of scope and mount is less than 10 ounces. I like fixed power scopes. One less thing to be fiddling with, and when I throw the rifle to my shoulder I always have the same field of view and magnification. Sort of like muscle memory for the eye, I guess. For my purposes for this carbine, 2.5 magnification is sufficient. If a deer looks too small at 2.5x for me to place a shot precisely, it's farther away than I want to be shooting. As I mentioned before, my shots are nearly always under 100 yards and I see 200-250 as a maximum that I might even consider.

Total weight of this package is just a tick over 6.5 pounds with an empty 10 round E-Lander magazine.
    gr1.jpggr2.jpggr3.jpggr4.jpg
    Last edited by WanderingZero; 08-10-2016, 08:58 PM.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I like it. Congratulations!
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Really nice rifle, I bet it shoots real good!

Comment

• RicosRevenge
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Comment

• Grendelseeker
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

nice, & light!

Good job! I don't see AA offering "barrels only" any more. All the threads I've seen where people describe their build with them are over a year old.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

Great dump o' likes Rico! Hope you don't mind that I downloaded it for future use.

Comment

• WanderingZero
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Grendelseeker View Post
              Good job! I don't see AA offering "barrels only" any more. All the threads I've seen where people describe their build with them are over a year old.
              They do still offer this barrel. To find it, go to "6.5 Grendel" and then "DIY Parts & Components" or follow this link: http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Bar...te_Barrel.html

Comment

• jawbone
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

it's a beaut, WZ! love that 6.5 lbs, too.

Comment

• joker31
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2015

Looks Great! I have a 300AAC that looks just like it, Why the ALG instead of an Aero Handguard to match your lower? My handguard is an Aero and they look pretty much the same. Mine is a 10". I like the lighter weight stuff these days, I guide for a lot of Wounded Veterans and I have to carry a good amount of extra gear. I plan on a Grendel SBR soon if the next election allows it.

Comment

• Michael1electrician
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2020

Nice build!- thx for sharing.

Comment

• js8588
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Michael1electrician View Post
                      Nice build!- thx for sharing.
                      Holy necrothread.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
                        Holy necrothread.
                        Yeah, but you know what JS? It seems like just yesterday when I originally read WanderingZero's post. That's what happens when you get old; years seem like months.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                        X