X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Don't over think it. F-it, just choot 'em.

Comment

• ShooterScott
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

I try and breath from the stomach and slow my breathing down. this tends to relax and focus my mind.
      Love shooting over anything else -- full time manufacturer worker, part time blogger

Comment

• Sinclair
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        ......Several slow, measured and recorded groups. The last group was just for fun, as fast as I could reacquire the target BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, holey-moley it was the tightest group of the day. Go figure!
        Klem, O.K. I am just a newbie here and you are a chieftain, but I am fairly certain that I have been hunting more years than you have been on this earth, so here goes, we think too much about our shooting. About the last shot, the growing group, its getting late and the drive home, the only shot that matters is the one in the chamber that we are about to squeeze off. In the service I was taught to shoulder my weapon, acquire the sight picture, and fire in just two seconds, because even a rank greenhorn would not expose himself for more than 2 1/2 seconds. I frequently did better on the rapid fire stages than the slow fire because I thought too much about the sights, my breathing, my score, etc. and the longer I held up the shot, the more I wobbled.

Back in the Day, my Grandfather and I hunted for food. Not for trophies nor for the freezer, but for the table that night. Cheek weld, breathing, sight picture, and controlled, steady pressure on the trigger put more meat in the cook pot than any other technique. These days we get caught up with technology, fade equipment, and a host of other things that are counter productive to good shooting. Just relax, focus on the fundamentals, and shoot!
        Last edited by Sinclair; 11-03-2018, 11:43 PM. Reason: correcting my usual bad grammer
        "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
        Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
        Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
          Klem, O.K. I am just a newbie here and you are a chieftain, but I am fairly certain that I have been hunting more years than you have been on this earth, so here goes, we think too much about our shooting. About the last shot, the growing group, its getting late and the drive home, the only shot that matters is the one in the chamber that we are about to squeeze off. In the service I was taught to shoulder my weapon, acquire the sight picture, and fire in just two seconds, because even a rank greenhorn would not expose himself for more than 2 1/2 seconds. I frequently did better on the rapid fire stages than the slow fire because I thought too much about the sights, my breathing, my score, etc. and the longer I held up the shot, the more I wobbled.

Back in the Day, my Grandfather and I hunted for food. Not for trophies nor for the freezer, but for the table that night. Cheek weld, breathing, sight picture, and controlled, steady pressure on the trigger put more meat in the cook pot than any other technique. These days we get caught up with technology, fade equipment, and a host of other things that are counter productive to good shooting. Just relax, focus on the fundamentals, and shoot!
          Sinclair:

Been hunting more years than Klem as been kicking? He, he, he. Maybe so but, so what?

What you are talking about is the ability to focus on what is necessary for good performance. Just like what Klem described in his comment -- that he made two years ago. Time surely flies.

Centering is sometimes used by people who have gotten so distracted that they need to re-group and get focused again. Some people need to meditate and others can cue themselves back into focus in a fraction of a second. It works.

LR55

Comment

• Sinclair
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            Sinclair:

Been hunting more years than Klem as been kicking? He, he, he. Maybe so but, so what? LR55
            It means nothing, I was just trying to justify commenting to someone that I admire and respect, nothing more.
            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

It means nothing, I was just trying to justify commenting to someone that I admire and respect, nothing more.
              Roger but you must be pretty old if you have been hunting as long as Klem has been alive! So tell us, what was it like to go from cordite to smokeless?

LR55

Comment

• Sinclair
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

LR1955, 'bout like going from a 32-40 to the Grendel, WOW. Yes, a pump action 32-40, a single shot bolt action .22, break open 12 ga. shotgun, and a one eyed Black and Tan hound. Between them there was meat in the stew more times than not. City folks just do not know what it is like to seat down at a meal that nature's bounty provided. Besides, a young boy roaming the woods with his Grandfather, next best thing to Heaven.
                Edward Abbey

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

LR1955, 'bout like going from a 32-40 to the Grendel, WOW. Yes, a pump action 32-40, a single shot bolt action .22, break open 12 ga. shotgun, and a one eyed Black and Tan hound. Between them there was meat in the stew more times than not. City folks just do not know what it is like to seat down at a meal that nature's bounty provided. Besides, a young boy roaming the woods with his Grandfather, next best thing to Heaven.
                  Had a 32-40 High Wall at one time. Target rifle. Never got it to shoot. Had a Pope barrel on it that was pretty much trashed from a lack of maintenance which is probably why it didn't shoot. Got to wonder why someone who is shooting black powder didn't seem too interested in keeping the barrel clean. Looked like it was shot, marginally cleaned, then put away for months before seeing the rust and pitting, cleaning it again and then putting it away for years without checking it again. Horribly pitted barrel. Pope, too. Sold it and broke even. Never looked back. Seems that with cast bullets, the smaller the caliber, the more difficulty finding a bullet style and weight that shoots well.

LR55

Comment

• Plainsman
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2019

Muzzle loaders are finicky that way. Easy to find a good bullet for .50. Squirrel rifles of .36 or smaller are a very different story.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
                      Muzzle loaders are finicky that way. Easy to find a good bullet for .50. Squirrel rifles of .36 or smaller are a very different story.
                      PM:

I have a soft spot for flint locks. I have three of them and all are of very high quality. The 32-40 was a cartridge rifle. I have a few BP cartridge rifles.

Shooting a flintlock, even a very well made one with a fast lock and ignition, does require a bit more focus on the shot. Not sure if it is a good way to train for centerfire shooting but it is pretty challenging and satisfying. Where as it does not take long to get a high end load for a centerfire rifle that is well made, it takes some time and effort to find a load and loading technique that will get the best out of a flintlock. There are multiple things a guy needs to do before he brings the rifle to his shoulder if he expects it to function and perform as good as it can.

LR55

Comment

• Plainsman
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2019

So true about flinters. I had a Williamsburg alum make me a York County longrifle (ca1755)— America's first indigenous art-form! It's a pleasure to just take it for a walk in the woods.

Except for the need for follow-thru I haven't found much spillover from flintlocks to modern centerfires. Loads havent been much of a problem, being a roundball gun. Loads were more critical for our frontier forefathers, for whom lead was as precious as gold— or more. The frontier deer slayer wanted a load that put the ball just against the far side hide and did not pass thru. No waste, of either powder or ball! Those ol' boys knew what they were doing and we could learn a lot from them if they were only here to teach us.

nimrod-web.jpg

Comment

• phishfood
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

That is purdy!!

One day I will have a nice flintlock.

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

It took me years to hold my rifle right and learn how to breathe correctly so I could keep my shots consistent. One tip I can give you is no caffeine while shooting.I drink water. I did an extra shot of Java in a McDonald?s coofee one morning.Never do that again,my shots were everywhere but on paper.

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                              It took me years to hold my rifle right and learn how to breathe correctly so I could keep my shots consistent. One tip I can give you is no caffeine while shooting.I drink water. I did an extra shot of Java in a McDonald?s coofee one morning.Never do that again,my shots were everywhere but on paper.
                              I learned the hard way to not do this!

My caffeine withdrawal symptoms made my tremors significantly more pronounced. My scores were not competitive that day.

In other words, let several days or a week or so pass between caffeine and serious shooting!
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Klem
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                                That's a good comment. I once heard a shooting coach say to stay hydrated, especially leading up to a shooting session. Dehydration, even mild dehydration inhibits tear production which leads to dry eyes, itchy/blinking eyes, and vision problems. Plus all the other symptoms of dehydration; headaches, feeling tired and light-headed (although to be fair, they are typical of more severe dehydration). But tired, itchy eyes...drink some more.

I keep forgetting to do all this stuff and only remember on the forum...Hopeless.

Comment

Working...
                                X