• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

220 lb Shoulder Shot Boar - Experimental Light GMX Bullet

Turned out to be a really long night for one hog, but was productive.

I am still working with the experimental lathed-down Hornady GMX bullets here. As the video shows, the bullet performed well enough. It is loaded a bit light on the velocity, but did some interesting damage.

On the entry side, it penetrated the shoulder blade and then broke 3 ribs underneath it from the impact, but the bullet itself seemed to have passed between the ribs. Usually when I find a bullet had hit a rib, that part of the rib is missing. In this case, all the parts were there, just broken into segments. From what I could feel, one rib was snapped in 3 different places. The soft tissue damage around the broken 3 ribs was larger than that of a golf ball, which was neat because this was directly under the shoulder blade that only had a finger diameter hole through it. The bullet continued through the body, hitting lungs and blood vessels, but then striking the body of the vertebral column and taking a chunk out of it. I figure that this is actually what dropped the hog. At this point, I think the bullet had come apart, pieces ending up stuck in the meat and at least one piece exiting after passing through the cartilage of the shoulder blade on the other side. Aside from the large hole on the entry side ribs, the bullet seemed to bore a finger diameter hole through the hog to under the skin on the opposite side where some portion of the bullet exited.

sneaky one had loaded these a bit light and I think the extra 100 fps or so that was lost might have made for a more impressive exit on the opposite side, but otherwise, the bullet performed well enough. This was a very respectable-sized hog. By comparison, I usually say that Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo can usually overpenetrate a broadside shot on hogs up to 225 lbs. Above that it is iffy and below that it is common. So this bullet performed right about in that performance envelope, even loaded light.

Here is the video...
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

the good ole shoulder shot, my fav. Nice work on this hog too. What do you reckon is the max velocity you could get out of this round? We've got some 95gr TTSX's in a 6.8SPC that chrono near 2900fps so I'm curious.
    John 11:25-26

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

sneaky one says they were loaded 1.1 gr. light, IIRC. Previous ones I had were up around 2850 fps or so without showing any negative signs. So there should be a little more oomph, but obviously still performs pretty well without it.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I was getting 2750fps from my 18" barrel, not pushing the pressure.

I could get 2800fps easily.

With a 24", you would get 2890fps with that same load I tried, which was 33.9gr of CFE.

Nice shoulder shot!
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 37L1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Beautiful shot!

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Awesome job DNS. It's tough loading ammo, then sending off to a new chamber. Paul & I think you have a short barrels throat, No biggy, yet a challenge to send ammo to a fellow gent.

At first, I thought - the Chamber was a shorty- then L 52 mentioned the leade idea. His ammo- that he sent was too long , man, I don't have all night to explain this situation.

L-52 had my Gmx pills for 5 years. Idle . He came up - He - came up with the idea to send loaded 95 Gmx ammo to DNS, as < he- DNS- doesn't reload his own,,,,,,, yet.

Things went awry as they often do in this situations. I hopped in to help out at last moments. I thinky Paul was off a tic for last weeks, he's on the mend now-
            I think that he has better bodily blood flow now- that's from my future Doctor wifey !. He'll be fine, on the mend now. A true Soldier.

That hog went down fast.

A many of you have to realize the future facts of your hunting spots. --- They will go lead free like Cali did. Only at Target ranges can you carry, & use ammo with Lead inside.

It's gaining traction here also. That's why I have been on this idea of Gmx- TTsx -for years. I'm tryin ta help you all ! Plus , no lead in the deer meat. Ikkk...

gmx- gilding metal- is best on bone hits- shots=== Smack!

I have shot these pills through every material that I could find. Deer too! It's awesome! Better than 6.8 ---95's- why ? longer range shots can be taken.
            I had nickel sized groups , @ 100 yd. Then Dime size @ 200 yd. It was 6 years ago, No idea if I personally can replicate all that- Hanka - BFT can shed some light upon it ?
            We just shot at range together.

No fighting on this! Sleeker 6.5's baby ! Plus better penetration capabilities.

Heat exhausion has sent in here, I'm beat, I ll get sleep- hot city guys. Loves to L----52. and his famiry

S1's Wifey here- yes heat exhaustion is a real deal . sleepy time for my hubby, he's always on here. He needs rest too!!!! 95-97 F.last few days.F

Sorry to intrude on hubbys spot- he;s in small perils with a bad dehydration situation. Gee whiz, none of you guys watch your health moniters!
            Last edited by sneaky one; 08-12-2016, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              S1's Wifey here- yes heat exhaustion is a real deal . sleepy time for my hubby, he's always on here. He needs rest too!!!! 95-97 F.last few days.F

Sorry to intrude on hubbys spot- he;s in small perils with a bad dehydration situation. Gee whiz, none of you guys watch your health moniters!
              Mrs. Sneaky One...you're a good wife! Nice to know S1 has someone around to look after him!
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Hey to all! Geeze. carry some water bottles around with you.

Thanks Biodsl! Holy hot zone ! How do the soldiers in the desert stay alive=- ? Lug 20 gallons of wata around all day ? OMG! I fainted onto the keyboard

I mentioned to DNs , if he would try some-- 80 GMX., The units JASmith thought would be great as a trial for hogs inside of 100 yds. Deer also. Worked well for me last fall. Big boy down.

BFt & I tried some out last wknd. At the range with chronograph. New powder try for me .. 2996 was the hotrod. 2950 was the accuracy node -loading. H335 .

I used L-52's method of testing for accuracy.

In DNS's tube , it would be 3060-80 fps. I have the same 20 " unit. Were' going to try this, based on my 280 lb deer harvest last fall ., with the 77-81 grn. gmx unit. Should be good, if all goes bad? He'll have some heavy pills in line to finish the beasts.

big thanks to DNS- he sits out all night in the heat to whap a hog or more. A true professional shooter, and lover of the 6.5 Grendel,,, as a many of us are. Just a cooler!

Mn soda speak for a cool guy.

His necropsy is top notch. Quincy! Hey, where's Sam ? we had good comedy on the fones. Hee hee ! Easy to make jokes of critter death,, when it's these things. Yuk. Whack!

They are called vermin for a reason. Whack , smack them down. Eradicate the swine by any means, known to humankind- they destroy so many farms per month--- it's scary. There can Go our food supply , veggies be gone. Get south - kill these things ASAP.

No jokeys here tonite
                Last edited by sneaky one; 08-13-2016, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

another thorough and helpful necropsy, 00Spy. bullet definitely did its job, and then some.

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

I think I understand S1 better when he is punchy then when he is normal. Not sure what that says about me

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Drifty- haha! I'm just too busy lately to get enuff H2O in me. Let us know where cracker trail iz.

May be some good news on the 95 lead free soon- loaded ammo. Of all My backup plans, B & C-,,, 1 of them has good prospects. Maybe 2-3 weeks for details. It's a comin.

Bombard all the bullet companies that u want to have them make a specific bullet for, a specific animal hunt., Also ranges the animal will be harvested inside of- aka- farmland- woods as thick as pea soup- like mine. Or really long shooting at game. Email.,, or use the contact info on their site .
                      They are more receptive recently.... hmmmm

The goal that I had years back, was to replicate 120,123- cup core pills, using a lt. all copper expander pill. California pals asked me to help out firstly. 95 is a great , comp. to the 6.8 -95.

I answered the need. We are there.
                      This is all the info-tease that's avail to me as of Monday - last fone call. Please don't speculate until the deal gets finalized.

Just a cool round for the Grrr. Whack, smack em down.

80's are next. All the bullets that are made for hunting in 6.5 work decently. We Like the extra speed smack down of damage to the animal is all.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 08-18-2016, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X