• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DenverDave
    Unwashed
    • May 2015

Dies for .264 LBC Grendel Type 1 .125 Headspace

Hello,
    I am new to reloading and am beginning to assemble the gear I need to get going. I plan on reloading 6.5 Grendel to shoot out of my .264 LBC BHW barrel. The barrel is headspaced to Grendel type 1 specs, .125" headspace, not the more common SAMMI spec .136". Will I be able to use any Grendel die set to load for this? Need to trim the case down after sizing? Sorry if this is an obvious question I am new to reloading and working on becoming familiar with the details...
  • 6.5 Grendel
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Trim after the sizeing and any 6.5 grendel dies will do. I like my Lee set with factory crimp.
    "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

The .125 has to do with bolt face depth, not case dimensions. I use RCBS 264lbc small base dies to reload for my sammi chambered Lilja barrel.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have the RCBS dies as well as Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies. I started reloading 30 years ago with RCBS dies and I like the RCBS dies better than the Hornady. Try to use the same brand shell holder as your die as shoulder set back is critical with the 6.5 Grendel. I also bought a chamber gauge from Alexander Arms which comes in handy.

Comment

• terrywick4
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have yet to trim my Grendel brass down, I measure them after resizing and they are still under.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

Many folks report very little length growth over a number of firings.

Nonetheless measuring a significant sample each loading will keep surprises in check.
            Last edited by JASmith; 08-12-2016, 05:02 PM.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• DenverDave
              Unwashed
              • May 2015

Ok so any "Grendel" die set will work, but I will just to trim my brass after I resize it? Of I simply keep an eye on the measurements of the cartridge OAL just like I would with any other load? Not sure if that makes sense... As I said I am new to reloading (have not started yet) and have a lot to lean about the process. What I am trying to determine in this thread is because my gun is not SAMMI spec (.136" of headspace) its Grendel Type 1 (.125" headspace):

1) Will any "Grendel reloading die set work?
              2) Will any additional steps be necessary, reloading for the "Type 1" chamber as aposed to SAMMI Spec?

Thanks again,

Comment

• IceAxe
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

1) = yes, but I recommend the shell holder be of the same brand as the dies.

2) = no

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DenverDave View Post
                  Ok so any "Grendel" die set will work, but I will just to trim my brass after I resize it? Of I simply keep an eye on the measurements of the cartridge OAL just like I would with any other load? Not sure if that makes sense... As I said I am new to reloading (have not started yet) and have a lot to lean about the process. What I am trying to determine in this thread is because my gun is not SAMMI spec (.136" of headspace) its Grendel Type 1 (.125" headspace):

1) Will any "Grendel reloading die set work?
                  2) Will any additional steps be necessary, reloading for the "Type 1" chamber as aposed to SAMMI Spec?

Thanks again,
                  This came up about two weeks ago.

Providing the barrel is chambered in terms of your bolt face depth, there is no difference.

Any set of Grendel dies will work. I would avoid the Lee dies if I were you because their sizing die will overwork your brass compared to other brands of dies.

Before you ask, do a search of dies for the Grendel.

LR55

Comment

• DenverDave
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    This came up about two weeks ago.

Providing the barrel is chambered in terms of your bolt face depth, there is no difference.

Any set of Grendel dies will work. I would avoid the Lee dies if I were you because their sizing die will overwork your brass compared to other brands of dies.

Before you ask, do a search of dies for the Grendel.

LR55
                    Thanks for the info. I got thrown off by Les Barr's website, they offer .264 LBC-AR dies. I emailed them with this question and they told me that to reload for .264 I needed their .264 LBC dies. This did not make sense to me because if .264LBC shoots Grendel factory ammo why would it be different for reloads. They where obviously taking advantage of my ignorance to try and make a sale...

Thanks for bearing with me... I am just getting started with reloading and have a lot to learn about handloading and the rifle mechanics that factor into it. FYI:https://www.lesbaer.com/264LBCAR.html

Comment

• Joseph5
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

The best advice I can give you for just getting started reloading is to get a Reloading Manual is to read the beginning how to section carefully a couple of times. If you can find someone to mentor you or an NRA reloading class that would be very helpful. Any reloading manual will have a how to section. Generally people get reloading manuals from the company whose bullets they shoot the most or in the case of the Grendel, if the company has data for the particular cartridge. The Grendel reloading manuals sold by LRRPF52 have the most data for the most bullet and powder combinations and excellent information on load development and reloading for semi autos. I would still recommend getting a manual from Hornady or someone else also. Reloading isn't difficult and is very safe as long as it is done step by step with attention to detail.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

DD - There are minor differences in the chamber dimensions between the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel and the .264 LBC. The neck diameter is slightly smaller (.300" vs .295", respectively). While I have not seen the specs for the Les Baer die set, I suspect this might be what they are talking about. It is conceivable that a die set for the SAAMI spec chamber might not size the neck enough to allow reliable feeding in the .264 LBC.

Having said that, I happen to have two .264 LBC chambered rifles, and use the Hornady New Dimension die set to good effect. I've never had any difficulty feeding or extracting either fired or unfired rounds. If you do happen to go with a set of 6.5 Grendel dies and experience feeding issues, you will have been the first I've heard of with such an issue.

While I applaud you doing your due diligence, I suggest you get whichever die set you feel is best, (with LR1955's advice from above in mind), and get to reloading.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                        X