• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelseeker
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2016

Nitride treatment make barrels black?

Some barrel manufacturers like Criterion offer a nitride treatment to stainless steel barrels which results in a harder surface and makes them last longer from what I've read. But does it in and of itself cause the barrel to turn out black? And does it cause a non-glossy finish? Or if you want black non-glossy do you have to go with an additional coating?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Im almost positive the answer is yes.

My 18 inch JP barrel is nitrited and it is a black non glossy finish.

Look through my past post there should be a pic of it on here.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Yes the black "coating" is a function of the nitride oxide process. However, it alone will result in a glossy finish. You'll need to have your barrel bead blasted prior to, in order to get the matte finish you're looking for from your barrel.

If you're talking about the Criterion barrels from Precision Firearms, they bead blast their barrels prior to sending in for the Nitride treatment as a default standard. So the bead blast is included in that price. Or it was, I haven't talked to Mark about this in some time. A quick email would confirm that.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Grendelseeker
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

Great, thanks guys! I usually ask questions here first because I assume manufacturers are too busy to answer.
        I'm guessing their Teflon Black coating would not be needed if it's bead blasted and nitrided, though teflon black is probably 1 step more matte in appearance.

Blaster, your 18" is a "lightweight". Is that the standard profile or considered pencil?

Getting excited. With this rifle I hope to have an accurate light semi auto medium caliber that bridges a gap in my arsenal. Fun stuff!

It seems crazy that some want to make this stuff illegal. They shouldn't have, through bad political and social policy, created so many miscreants and let so many unknown individuals into our country. Pisses me off. (Rant over.)

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

My 18 inch is made by JP and isnt one of PF's offerings.

Its JP's lightest profile in the grendel, I cant remember the exact weight but its super light.

If im remembering correctly its .650 under the handgaurd, has a .750 gas block area and is .740 to the threads at the muzzle.

So for JP its a standard profile but I dont think it would be considered pencil profile

Comment

Working...
          X