Need your opinions on a barrel for my new rifle. Thanks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bilbo42
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

Need your opinions on a barrel for my new rifle. Thanks!!!

Hi to all. I believe I've narrowed my search for an accurate mid-priced 6.5 Grendel barrel to the following in no particular order. I am an experienced shooter with a number of platforms, I've just never shot or built a Grendal. My thought is to use the rifle from an elevated platform to shoot coyotes on my property at ranges out to about 450 yds., maybe a tad farther sometimes. I want a stainless barrel and I would like to have it in 18" but I included a 16" in my finalist to get opinions of it. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
    Brownells/Satern

AR-Stoner

Alexander Arms
    shopalexanderarms.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, shopalexanderarms.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Precision Firearms/Criterion
    This listing is for Barrel Only!!! NO Bolt - Bolt available as Option 6.5 Grendel SAAMI Spec Barrel Blank by Criterion Hand Lapped Chambered by PF 1-8 Twist Stainless 5/8x24 Threaded Muzzle Available in 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, 14.5, 16,18, 20, 24 inch lengths 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 are Carbine Gas 14.5 and 16 is mid length gas 18 is intermediate and include custom gas tube 20, 22, 24 are rifle length gas Optional Profiles listed in Options Bolts or Carrier Groups are Optional Bolts must be .136 Bolts or known as Type 2 Chambered in house to match specifications Test Fired with 3 rounds Weights for Hbars: 2 lbs 2 oz 16" 2 lbs 5 oz 18" 2 lbs 9 oz 20" Options: Fluted Front and Back sections inhouse by PF Fluted Rear Section only for 14.5 inch and shorter barrels Target Crowned Cerakote in either black or Stainless Bead Blast Bolts or Carrier Groups Please Note: Barrels shorter than 14.5 inches can only be fluted rear section only. Just not enough material to flute the front section on these shorter barrels. Delivery time -...

Odin Works/Les Baer Custom
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Just my thoughts I would go with the barrel from PF as my first choice.

My second choice would be the AA barrel.

The thrid chose for me would be the Odin works/Les Bear simple because there arent alot of reviews about them.

The Saturn/Brownells and Ar Stoner barrels are the same and have the Grendel II chamber, I had one and would not own anouther compared to my sammi chambered barrel I have now.

This is just my .02 cents worth sir and I hope it will help you in finding your barrel.

Comment

• Brett A
      Bloodstained
      • May 2016

I am shooting with an AA 16" lite barrel. Shooting sub MOA. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Comment

• Bilbo42
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2016

Thanks!!!

Many thanks for your thoughts! I believe I have narrowed my barrel down to the Precision Firearms /Criterion barrel. Second choice was the AABarrel only because it is the shorter 16". I think while I'm at Precision, I will order the 6.5 bolt and its carrier at $185 because they say it's tuned!!😉. Not sure what that means exactly but I think it's in the proper price range for a good bolt and carrier. Any thoughts? Thanks again, Bil

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I have a bcg and forged upper from PF and let me be the first to say their craftmenship,fit and finish is top shelf.

I dont have their bolt because I have a JP barrel so I installed JP's bolt in PF's bcg and had no problems doing so.

If your going to buy from PF maybe do what I did it saved me a few dollars, instead of buying their 6.5 grendel bcg and bolt combo, buy their M16 profile bcg seprate and buy the bolt with the barrel are buy the bolt seprate as well.

Im not sure if doing this way will save you any money, it did me but then again I didnt need to buy a bolt from PF as my came with my JP barrel.

Either way any parts you buy from PF will be of the finest sort, and you will love the grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Ok went and double checked myself, you can get their bcg with bolt for 175 if you order it as a upgrade to the barrel instead of paying 185 if ordered seprate of the barrel.

Thats ten bucks safed.

Comment

• Bilbo42
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2016

Thanks.

Great thought! Hey..$10 is $10!!!!!
              More beer, sausage, bullets, peanut butter crackers...whatever floats your boat!😉

Comment

• robertc1024
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

I've got a 20" Criterion from PF and have been nothing but pleased with it. +1 on what A5 said. Fit and finish are outstanding.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I have experience with many barrels from the following out of your list:

AA/ 16", 16" Fluted, 18", 20", 24", 28"
                  PF/Criterion 20"
                  Satern w/ SAAMI chamber 18", 20", 24"

All have been some of the most accurate AR15 barrels I've ever shot. I also have a lot of trigger time behind the Lilja barrels, which are tac-drivers too.

AA, PF, and Lilja have had optimum gas port diameters, whereas the Satern and AR-Stoner had rather large ports for the 18" MLGS guns. Some require adjustable gas, while others worked out with heavy buffering.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fredman
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

I have a question. How close are you to the cost of a Lilja or a Bartlin barrel? The Grendel is good for several thousand (10,000-12,000?) rounds. For me, if I was unhappy with the performance of the barrel, It's going to be ten or more years before the barrel is worn enough to justify replacement.

My thoughts with a Captain and coke.

Comment

• ACK
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2016

I have a Lilja 740 20" barrel on my new build. Have tried 3 types of factory ammo it will not shoot better than 2" groups. Not sure why.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

ACK, not trying to be a ass but could it be the guy firing the rifle that's the problem.

First thing I would check would be my scope mount screws that hold the scope and the ones that hold the mount to the rifle.
                        Check that they are at the manufactures spec of inch pounds torque on each screw.

Then check to make sure the scope is tracking correctly, meaning not damaged.

If it doesn't get better check the barrel to recever fit, recever face may need to be lapped and barrel may need to be shimmed and or lock tited in to the reciver, make sure you have plenty of torque on the barrel nut to elemnate it being lose.

I would check and double check those things first and if that don't fix the problem then it would seem that it would be a barrel problem.

That's just my .02 cents ain't worth much but it's the best I got sir.
                        Last edited by A5BLASTER; 08-31-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Retro
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2016

I have an Odin and it's a great barrel. First groups after zero four out of five were touching at 100yds. The fifth shot was me. Odin guarantees sub-moa right out of the box. Fit and finish are as good as anything that I've seen. They pay attention to detail all the way down to match marking the gas block and barrel for easy installation. I also love the way that the barrel and fore grip adapter attach to the receiver. The fore grip adapter screws on first but doesn't actually tighten the barrel. Mine was about 180 degrees from tight so all that I had to do was back it off, take the provided pin, insert it into the gas tube hole then thread the barrel nut down. Remove the pin and install the the gas tube. The nut goes through the adapter and does all of the work for tightening the barrel. 50 lbs of torque and you're ready to attach the fore grip.
                          Last edited by Retro; 09-12-2016, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                            I have an Odin and it's a great barrel. First groups after zero four out of five were touching at 100yds. The fifth shot was me. Odin guarantees sub-moa right out of the box. Fit and finish are as good as anything that I've seen. They pay attention to detail all the way down to match marking the gas block and barrel for easy installation. I also love the way that the barrel and fore grip adapter attach to the receiver. The fore grip adapter screws on first but doesn't actually tighten the barrel. Mine was about 180 degrees from tight so all that I had to do was back it off, take the provided pin, insert it into the gas tube hole then thread the barrel nut down. Remove the pin and install the the gas tube. The nut goes through the adapter and does all of the work for tightening the barrel. 50 lbs of torque and you're ready to attach the fore grip.
                            Today I received an email from primary arms indicating that my 6.5 barrel from odin works could be subject to recall. It didn't include a lot of info. Just a quick test method. Does anyone know anything about this?
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                            X