• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hdrolling
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
    Same here... first round stuck good, the rest, no problem. Any chance you can post some pics of your fired cases? Interested in how yours does, initial shooting with mine is averaging 1.30" MOA with a variety of factory ammo.
    I didn't take any pictures and left them at the range but I did inspect after seeing your pics here and your build thread and mine looked nothing like that, they looked just like my 300 BLK and 5.56 spent rounds.

I fired 85 rds of the Hornady Black 123 gr without a an issue after the block was adjusted.
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

A guy mentioned he thought this 20" was overgassed. Anyone else feel the same?

Bill Alexander found that it just so happened to work out that 65G gas ports should be about the same as 556 ports for the same length barrel. Differences in volumes and pressures all came out a wash. Current port for these 20s is 0.093.

I don't feel a civvie gun needs as much gas as a military gun that's gonna be rolling around in the dirt, so there's a possibility we can reduce the port in the future if there seems to be a consensus.

Thoughts?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I went with a std GB and it dropped my brass in a nice pile at about 4:00, so for me not hinting of over gas. That said I sent my barrel back to Faxon to address a reamer issue in chamber which didn't thrill me and their fix was taking a hone to it to remove the obvious rings in the chamber and likely the melonite coating as well. After seeing Bh6's brass prior to my build I cleaned and inspected very closely and didn't see anything of in chamber. Only after shooting it did the rings become very visible in the chamber and were easily photographed as well as the brass that was ringed and frosted.

Hoping I see it today in the mail, I will say that they turned it around for me very quickly but honestly I am not 100% sold on the fix as I humbly feel it should have been replaced. Surely the honing may have smoothed out the dozen of so rings in chamber but it will have removed the melonite application surely. I am now in search of some chamber gauges as I now really want to check the head space of the chamber after honing but didn't really want to fork out for just one build initially.

Comment

• RNRoad
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by RNRoad View Post
          Mine definitely has a tight chamber as well. My Manson GO gauge would barely allow the Group Buy bolt to engage the lugs on the barrel extension. Factory ammo and my reloads sized to max SAAMI length using a Redding S die chambered with no problem however.

I fired 10 rounds each of both types of ammo and all failed to eject. Manual extraction required extra effort but at least I didn't have to "mortar" each fired case. I was trying to set my adjustable gas block (used Syrac Gen 1) and never could find a setting that would eject a spent case. Once home I noticed some problems with the adjustment screw and tensioning detent spring so I disassembled and cleaned the block. Everything looks good now and it is set for max flow to the gas tube.

The barrel will get a good chamber scrubbing and I should be able to get out next week to try it again.

Velocity over the Magnetospeed were as follows;

Hornady 123 ELD-M ... AVG = 2508 fps...STDEV = 19.6 fps

Reloads 123 ELD-M with 31.2 CFE223 seated to 2.260...AVG = 2546 ...STDEV = 11.6 fps

I was only shooting at 50 yards with reasonable care on the bench primarily to check for function. Groups were about about a half inch for both factory and reloaded ammo.
          Ok...Got back to the range after fixing my gas block issue and all is right in the world. Very nice ejection pattern at about 4:00 with no adjustment to my gas block. No failures this time around at all.

Some pretty nice displays of precision but for my own poor performance behind the trigger this set up is a solid sub MOA shooter.

Configuration of upper is; Rainier Arms Gen 1 Billet, ALG 15 inch rail, Group Buy bolt, NiB Aim Surplus carrier, VG6 GAMMA 65 Compensator and the now SLR adjustable gas block.

Factory Hornady Black 100 yards
          Factory ELDM.jpg

Reloads 31.2gr CFE223 123ELDM at 100 yards
          Reloads 123ELDM 31.2 CFE223.jpg
          Reloads2 123ELDM 31.2 CFE223.jpg
          Reloads3 123ELDM 31.2 CFE223.jpg

Comment

• RNRoad
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Just to add since there has been some concerns about the chamber...

I see no rings or other unusual artifacts on my brass. Other than some extractor claw marks, the brass is in relatively good condition. I may do some "de-horning" of the extractor to soften those edges to reduce those claw marks since I plan on reloading these cases a number of times.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Just got done cleaning it and rebuilding as it was here when I got home from work. The chamber looks really good, still black which sorta surprised me as I was expecting to see the stainless which I honestly was expecting. I do appreciate the quick turn around which was stellar as it 5 working days mailbox to mailbox!

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I shot mine today with Wolf bimetallic ammo. It ejected every one. There were a few bolt over base feeds.

IMG_20171025_141609 (Medium).jpg

I shot at 50 yards first and the last 5 shots from a box of 20 were 2.1 MOA.
                FaxonIMG_20171025_173420 (Medium).jpg

I moved to the 100 yard range and shot a few to get on target.
                I then shot a 5 shot group from a Lead Sled Solo as show by the group on the right in the last photo.
                The group center was 3.6 MOA high from the Lead Sled.
                I then decided to use a bipod from the bench and shot a 10 shot group shown on the left.
                The center of this group was 2.0 MOA low with no change other than Lead Sled to Bipod.
                The rifle must have been able to recoil in a straighter line against my shoulder than against the Lead Sled rear pocket.
                I was a bit surprised at the amount of difference.
                I did hold the forend firmly with my left hand in both cases.

FaxonIMG_20171025_173354 (Medium).jpg

The cases ejected at around 4 o'clock. I am not sure if this is overgassed or not.
                The bolt never locked back on an empty mag so I guess it is not over gassed with a standard GB.

The handling of the 20" Faxon barrel was very nice.
                It doesn't feel too front end heavy as many barrels do. Just right for this barrel length.
                Last edited by bj139; 10-26-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  A guy mentioned he thought this 20" was overgassed. Anyone else feel the same?

Bill Alexander found that it just so happened to work out that 65G gas ports should be about the same as 556 ports for the same length barrel. Differences in volumes and pressures all came out a wash. Current port for these 20s is 0.093.

I don't feel a civvie gun needs as much gas as a military gun that's gonna be rolling around in the dirt, so there's a possibility we can reduce the port in the future if there seems to be a consensus.

Thoughts?
                  Hi BFT, I've only seen evidence of being overgassed with the 129gn and above bullets. I suspect that with the slower powders and heavier bullets the dwell time is just a little too much. It may be asking too much of the design to handle every possible bullet and powder combination? I bet that if all anybody shoots is 123gn and lighter bullets, they would never see a problem with the .093 port size. In the end, I would always choose to side on being overgassed, vs under, but I am curious to hear what others have experienced and think.

Comment

• Slappy
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2014

I am still waiting on my Cerakoted parts from PF, I am sure they will be along shortly!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• jeremiah
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

I just wanted to drop a 'thank you' for the barrel. I'm still acquiring parts to build my first Grendel so I haven't had a chance to test it, but it looks great.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

I've got 21 rounds through mine. 15 rnds of ELD and 6 SST. Mostly just gas block adjusting and sighting in. At 100yds yesterday I got a couple 3 rnd 1" groups with ELD and a .5" group with SST before it started getting dark. The gun is scoped with a VX-R 3-9 and the reticle is a little thick for small groups but I'm very happy so far!

Comment

• Essayons
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2015

I just got an email that says the magazines I bought for use with the upper I built around this barrel are on the way. I'll try to post some photos.

-Group Buy Barrel
                          -Aero Precision Upper (No Forward Assist)
                          -Group Buy Monster Bolt
                          -Brownells M16 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group Nitride MP (I'll use the Brownells bolt as a spare)
                          -Geissele Mk 7 National Match Rail (I got a great deal on that)
                          -Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
                          -War Machine WarBlock Receiver Height Railed Gas Block
                          -LMT Front and Rear Flip-Up BUIS

Can't wait to shoot it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do so before the new year.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Essayons View Post
                            I just got an email that says the magazines I bought for use with the upper I built around this barrel are on the way. I'll try to post some photos.

-Group Buy Barrel
                            -Aero Precision Upper (No Forward Assist)
                            -Group Buy Monster Bolt
                            -Brownells M16 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group Nitride MP (I'll use the Brownells bolt as a spare)
                            -Geissele Mk 7 National Match Rail (I got a great deal on that)
                            -Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
                            -War Machine WarBlock Receiver Height Railed Gas Block
                            -LMT Front and Rear Flip-Up BUIS

Can't wait to shoot it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do so before the new year.
                            Essayons I sent you a PM, you might have a firing pin issue trying to use your group buy bolt with the firing pin that came supplied with your Brownell’s 6.5 Grendel BCG. Here is a thread discussing the issue.

Comment

• Essayons
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2015

Thank you VASCAR2. I just checked. I'm using a Colt (standard) firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retaining pin. I kept the Brownell's firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retaining pin together. I have a Magpul Grip Core on the way, and I'll modify it to keep the Brownell's stuff together (I will label the grip core to avoid confusion). When I swapped the bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and firing pin retaining pin, I didn't notice the little ring around the flange on the Brownell's firing pin. I assume they put it there to differentiate it from standard length firing pins.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I just looked at the firing pin on my Brownells 6.5G BCG. It has a groove around the raised bump.
                                I looked at another 5.56 firing pin and it is smooth. I don't know if that indicates it is short.

Comment

Working...
                                X