• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

CLOSED Faxon 20" 65G Group Buy

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of rifle-length 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by Faxon Firearms.

These are great hunting barrels. At 20" they give the best velocity one can get within a reasonable field length and with standard furniture. They feature a medium-light profile for all-day carry, and are melonited inside and out for all-weather durability. Rifling is of the respected 5R type, and 1:8 twist will handle the heaviest 6.5mm bullets at range.

Cost is $195 plus $10 flat fee shipping for a total of $205 each. Personal checks, money orders, or PayPal accepted.

TO ORDER: Open the attached PDF order form below, and either print it out and mail it with your payment, or fill it out digitally and email it if using PayPal.

As always, Faxon requires a minimum order of 50, so let's get this baby kicked off!

============================
    SPECIFICATIONS

Barrel length: 20"

Barrel profile: Medium-Light (see attached drawing below)

Gas system: Rifle-length

Gas-block diameter: 0.750"

Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24

Muzzle crown: 11-degree target crown

Barrel steel: 416R stainless

Inside and outside finish: QPQ nitride

Chamber: 6.5 Grendel, SAAMI-compliant chamber, headspaced for 0.136" boltface depth

Rifling: 1:8, 5R-EE, button-rifled

Barrel extension: M4-style

Magnetic Particle Inspected

PARTICIPANTS

15/50 PAID as of 20170413

Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

#1 Alright, going to build three here shortly so why the heck not another later in a 20!?? BANG BANG!!

Will mail you full payment in a few.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Slappy comes in First and gets gold medal!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• lesbaer45
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2015

Sigh. Already have a 20BHW I have yet to build.

Decisions, decisions.

Maybe if I get a job soon.

Comment

• cohesive1
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2016

I just heard about this from another member. I am new the grendel world, and am about to embark on my first build. I assume at this price, it does not come with a bolt. Is there a matching barrel that headspaces correctly? I don't know much about doing it myself, and would rather not spend the extra money on go/no go gauges. Thanks!

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cohesive1 View Post
            I just heard about this from another member. I am new the grendel world, and am about to embark on my first build. I assume at this price, it does not come with a bolt. Is there a matching barrel that headspaces correctly? I don't know much about doing it myself, and would rather not spend the extra money on go/no go gauges. Thanks!
            The bolt as stated above is the .136 bolt face and with a barrel with SAAMI specs there should not be any troubles, things should match up correctly. There are a few out there now that sell the correct bolts/ and BCGs. Faxon has been around a long time. But,,, with all builds and some of the gurus I am sure would be telling you also is that you should ALWAYS use the go/no/go to double check everything. There are some nice folks on here and I am sure if asked they would let you borrow them when time comes. I would be one of those people too. I do not have the no go one yet I am waiting for it to be built on their next run which should be shortly. BANG BANG!!

There are a couple of the 16s left also.

Just ordered the no go gauge so now I will have both.
            Last edited by Slappy; 08-17-2016, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

My apologies if this has already been worked out, but doesn't Bill Alexander recommend a 1:9 twist for a 20" barrel?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

M796, Bill's standard 20s and 24s share a 1:9 twist, while his top-of-the-line 20s and 24s have a 1:8.75 twist, so I don’t know if that means he “recommends” a 1:9 for a 20. By way of contrast, JP Enterprises 18” and 22” 6.5 Grendel barrels both share a 1:8 twist, while Bill’s 18 has a 1:7.5 twist. Twist rate is a complicated thing and there’s room for variation.

Using Berger’s twist rate calculatortighter twist for long-range accuracy. Further, his testing found that the average velocity difference between a 1:9 and a 1:8 was 1.33 fps (yes, one-point-three-three).

So with a 1:8 we launch a bullet at 2300 fps while a 1:9 launches the same at 2301.33 fps — but loses 8% BC to marginal stability.

Thus, based on Litz’s conclusions and Berger’s calculator I’m thinking a 1:8 twist in a 20” barrel is desirable.

And, finally, when you consider economies of scale and their effect on pricing, it makes even more sense.

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  M796, Bill's standard 20s and 24s share a 1:9 twist, while his top-of-the-line 20s and 24s have a 1:8.75 twist, so I don’t know if that means he “recommends” a 1:9 for a 20. By way of contrast, JP Enterprises 18” and 22” 6.5 Grendel barrels both share a 1:8 twist, while Bill’s 18 has a 1:7.5 twist. Twist rate is a complicated thing and there’s room for variation.

Using Berger’s twist rate calculatortighter twist for long-range accuracy. Further, his testing found that the average velocity difference between a 1:9 and a 1:8 was 1.33 fps (yes, one-point-three-three).

So with a 1:8 we launch a bullet at 2300 fps while a 1:9 launches the same at 2301.33 fps — but loses 8% BC to marginal stability.

Thus, based on Litz’s conclusions and Berger’s calculator I’m thinking a 1:8 twist in a 20” barrel is desirable.

And, finally, when you consider economies of scale and their effect on pricing, it makes even more sense.
                  That all makes perfect sense... I thought I remembered Bill talking about twist rate and barrel length so I did a bit of digging and came up with this: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...est-twist-rate

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Good info, thanks, interesting read.

Now, where were we?

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

BTW, when I bought my 20" upper from Bill A. in 2008- his website said the Entry's were 1-8 twist. I can almost shoot bugs with it all day.

Now they are 9 twist. Was a typo made in 08' ?

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2016

BFT, you describe this as a "great hunting barrel". Are you calling it a "hunting" barrel because of the profile/weight or because you wouldn't want to raise expectations to be in the accuracy class of a "target" barrel?
                        Will they come out silver or black after the treatment process?
                        What do you expect for a lead time? I realize reaching the minimum order qty will or might be a gating factor.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Calling it "hunting" because of the weight, the price already tells you it's not intended to go toe-to-toe with Krieger.

They come out black after nitride treatment. Browse Faxon's website to see what their barrels look like and to read reviews. Dang good barrels for the money. Customer service from Nathan is TOP NOTCH.

Don't yet have lead time.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I'm interested.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Boys, let's get this rolling here. Don't let me catch you saying, "I got enuff gunz."

Comment

Working...
                              X