X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IceAxe
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Well to speed things up....order count that is, I sent the order form to a buddy in Orlando who is not a member but said he would take one. My son said he would order one but needs to wait till closer to Christmas, something about his wife.

Comment

• homeconcert
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2016

I am very interested in the group buy, do we know the weight of the barrel? Is there an option to have Faxon flute the barrel for an added fee? Thanks and I apologize if the questions are obvious.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

HC, don't know weight of 20", but weight of 16" is 1.92 lbs.

Some rough math: 1.92 divided by 4 = 0.48, which represents the averaged weight of a four-inch chunk. Weight of 16 at 1.92 plus 4 inches at 0.48 = 2.4 lbs. However, actual 20" would weigh less because the thicker "bull chamber" section extending from the barrel extension should not have been averaged into the extended barrel length.

Sorry, no fluting option, since Faxon requires 50 of one style only.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• homeconcert
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2016

Hey BFT, so assuming that the extra length of the barrel has a diameter of 0.75", and the bore is 0.264", then the volume in cubic inches of the 4" added length is: pi*(0.75/2)^2-pi*(0.264/2)^2*4= 1.5482 cu. inches. Non-stainless steel weighs approximately 0.28356 lbs per cubic inch, so the 20" barrel would be 0.439 lbs. heavier than the 16" or 2.36 lbs (2 lbs. 6 oz.) total. So your estimate was only a little over half an ounce off, which makes sense considering the extra thickness parts would be averaged over 20".
          Last edited by homeconcert; 09-29-2016, 03:32 AM. Reason: "Non-stainless" added to steel description.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

HC, good calculations, but try entering the actual diameter of 0.70 instead of 0.75 and see if it significantly affects result. All dimensions are the same as the existing 16" except that the 0.70 sections of barrel are correspondingly longer for a rifle-length gas port and forward of the gas port to the muzzle.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• homeconcert
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2016

Correction

And THAT is why one never relys on memory when calculating things, also why I write it out so someone else can catch my bone head mistakes! So after running the calcs with the correct diameter, the added weight comes to .375 lbs, or 6.00 ounces, for a total 20" barrel weight of 2.30 lbs, or 2 lbs 5 oz. (rounded on the last step only).

On a side note, this time I put the calcs in excel so I wouldn't have to punch it all in to a calculator every time. If there are any other barrel calcs that anyone would like done, just let me know!

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2016

Does the nitride treatment result in a black barrel? Matte finish or shiny? I like the look of SS but for hunting I think dark/less reflection is better. When I hunt (spot & stalk only) with my glossy blued rifles, I try to carry them low so reflections are less likely. I've been considering Teflon black or Cerakote on a 18" Criterion from PF at a higher price point but this may be a good alternative.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Yes, barrel is black and closer to matte than shiny; I'd call it satin. I love it.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2015

any chance you have any of these left? my current barrel isnt cutting it. nothing but issues and id like something that works. doubt you would promote something thatwouldnt lol.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

MXR, you asking about this 20" buy — which is just getting started and has not been manufactured — or the existing 16" that is in stock?

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2015

the 20 inch that's just getting started. been away for a while for some reason though they all ran at once.

I'll get payment your way in a few.

thanks

Comment

• Weflyplanes
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2016

Ok,

18 vs 20. For a hunting rifle I've always gone as short as possible. I plan on ordering 2 12 inch so for a 100 to 200 yard pig and deer carry rig I should have that covered. 18 now vs the 20. To play at the longer yardage hunting 200 to 400 I still assume the 18 would be preferable.

2 inches adds length, weight and I know velocity for 1000 yd shots etc. don't have access to that kind of distance shot. I assume as I write this the 12 / 18 inch barrels are the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Bradpierson26
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2016

I'd like to be in on this but I'm probably 30 days out on funds.
                            How many people do you have so far?

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

paypal sent and emailed you the order form. can you confirm?

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                                Bloodstained
                                • Apr 2015

BFT

I am in for one!

Thanks for letting the horses run!

Form and check on the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X