• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

It's Been a While...New Build Got Me Distracted

I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've been on here! I admit that my beloved Grendel has taken a back seat as of late, but for good reason I assure you. It'll soon be getting the dust knocked off and reminded just how loved it is.

Some of you may remember me posting about a new bolt action (non-grendel) build I had going on. It has taken almost all of my time and interest lately, but I'm happy to say it is now done and shooting well. Now that I have it going, it's time to shoot something less expensive haha.

The new build started life as a run-of-the-mill Remington 700 SPS in 270Wsm, but I knew it wouldn't stay that way for long.

One of the first things I did was upgrade the factory trigger to a Tubbs T7T 2-stage. I've become quite fond of the feel of a good 2-stage trigger after using the Geissele SSA-E in my Grendel, and this one really caught my attention. Next, I was able to get a JP Enterprises AMCS chassis with benchrest forend on Black Friday last year. I've been beyond impressed with it, and have no complaints. Granted I also have absolutely zero time behind any other chassis system, so I really have nothing to compare it against. I also had the factory barrel threaded for an APA Little Bastard brake, and it sat like that for close to 6 months before taking the next step.

I'm not totally sure why I took so long to get the rest done, but the time finally came and I went to the gunsmith. After a little talk, we decided what to do with it. Blueprinted the action, tactical bolt knob, pinned recoil lug, and swapped the barrel to a 30" Krieger 5R 1:8.5" in 7SAUM. Decided to cerakote the action/barrels in a darkened burnt bronze.

Oh, and did I mention we just did a minor setback and kept the factory barrel as well? In just about 2 minutes, I can swap barrels/scopes without having to re-zero and shoot either the 270Wsm or 7SAUM. After a while, I think I'm going to get another bolt and have a 22-243AI barrel spun up for the same action. I'm not sure what it is, but switch barrels are just plain fun
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Here's how she sits with the 7SAUM barrel and NF SHV scope:

Torn down:

270Wsm barrel with Vortex PST:

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Looking good sir, if you dont want your grendel to sit in the safe and feel unloved you can ship her to me and I will keep her happy while you play with the other girls LOL.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Looks great, let us know how they shoot. I'm sure you plan on shooting ELR, just curious how you'll like the 7SAUM.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Looks good, nothing wrong with a good switch barrel. That system lets you shoot the same chassis and trigger you like. Using good scopes/mounts goes a long way with the satisfaction of those rifle systems.

If you do go with a fast 22 such as the 22-243, 22-243AI, 22 Creedmoor... Reloader 26 has been yielding impressive velocities with 75 to 80 gr bullets in a 22 Creedmoor and 22-243 for a few of us that shoot them from 1:8 twist barrels.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Looks like a great ELR platform.

Have you tried the 195gr Bergers yet in 7mm?

My buddy just shot 7 consecutive rounds into 14" at 1710yds with his 7 Micro, which is basically a 7 WSSM with a really long throat. It's not fast, but the SDs are insanely low over a 25rd sample, like 5.8fps SD.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              Looks good, nothing wrong with a good switch barrel. That system lets you shoot the same chassis and trigger you like. Using good scopes/mounts goes a long way with the satisfaction of those rifle systems.

If you do go with a fast 22 such as the 22-243, 22-243AI, 22 Creedmoor... Reloader 26 has been yielding impressive velocities with 75 to 80 gr bullets in a 22 Creedmoor and 22-243 for a few of us that shoot them from 1:8 twist barrels.
              22 Creed? Need to check that out!

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Fredman,

A member on another forum is running an 80gr AMax at 3560fps from a 24 inch barreled 22 Creedmoor. A good way to get the cases for it is fireform Lapua 22-250 cases which come out a little short .03 but that is no real issue and results in good brass.

In the 22-243 I have not really pushed it that much yet. The chamber on my rifle was cut to use Lapua 243 brass run through the full length redding sizing die that was included with the rifle.

Fast 22 calibers with long skinny bullets are fun. Deer, hogs and coyotes sure do not complain about being shot with a 75gr Swift Sirocco started at 3300fps. That is actually a mild load with some powder but with the copper jacket it copper fouls pretty quick at that velocity. Push it another 250 or 300fps and it seems to be worse.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Thanks guys! She's shooting pretty good so far, shots 7-11 out of the brand new barrel netted a 9/16" 5-shot group at 100 yards! That was with zero load development, using 180gr Berger Hybrids and a spare pound of Norma MRP I had lying around. I was hoping to be able to use H1000 since I had already grabbed 25#'s of it, but so far it isn't looking good. Best groups were 3/4" at 100 yards, and nearly 75fps slower than the Norma. I was really hoping to use the H1000, especially since it's $100 less for an 8# keg than the Norma MRP haha. I just ordered some of the newer 183gr SMK's, so I'll give them a go and see what to do from there. With the Berger's and MRP, I was able to get 2975 but was hitting slight pressure signs. They were just above beginning book values, but I had forgotten I went with a tighter neck on this chamber and therefor hit pressure sooner. I might order a box of the 195 EOL's, but I'm hoping to keep it mag-fed and am pretty sure they'd be too long and would have to be single fed.

I'm planning on hitting North Springs towards the end of next month, and you had better believe I'll be ringing their 1760 plate with this setup. My goal is to be able to consistently group 5 shots at MOA or better at that distance, which I definitely think is doable. And if there's nobody at the cowboy town I'm going to go for the buffalo, which is 1980 from the Barnes bunker if I remember right. I should be able to get to 2200 or so before running out of elevation/holdovers. I might have to talk with Scott and see if he'd let me in sometime when they're closed, and go for the buffalo from their 1000yd range benches. That puts it at 2240!

I'll also probably take the 270wsm to the mile as well, but that's about as far as she'll go haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X