• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Grendel Case Gauge/Precision Mic

Purpose of this post: Gauging interest

Does any one here like/use a case gauge (Whidden Gunworks terminology) or a Precision Mic (RCBS terminology) to measure head-space on their fired cases? I have found them to be an invaluable tool at the reloading bench for my other calibers. I know that you can use a Hornady Comparator Inserts do accomplish the same thing, but, for me, it's not as convenient as a case gauge.

It appears that no organization makes one for the Grendel. I talked to the New Product "head dick" at the NRA convention in Nashville (2015) and he flat out told me that nothing that RCBS makes or will make will have the term "Grendel" associated with it due to their company policy versus SAAMI policy.....sounded like bullshit to me, but I digress.

I have corresponded with Carrie Whidden (Whidden Gunworks) about the 6.5G case gauge and this was her reply:

Thank you for your interest! We do not have plans to add the 6.5 Grendel to our standard, in stock Case Gauges. However, we can make one as a custom. The cost is $125 and lead time is 2-5 weeks.

I know that if I ordered one, and they set up their tooling, and then they would add it to their standard in stock Case Gauges (http://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/case-gauge/) and sell them for $49.99.

So I guess my question is, is there enough interest here to maybe do a group buy (I don't know what that number would be) to get a 6.5G case gauge for 50 bucks from Whidden?

• Hank Rearden
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Whidden makes some fantastic dies
    I'm using their set for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    If the cost can be kept around $50 I'm in.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Both Wilson and Sheridan make case gauges for the Grendel;

Comment

• babue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        Klem he is talking about a different type of gauge.
        I use an RCBS Precision Mic on a different round and like it.

If you can get some made for close to $50, I would be in for one.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I have a fair idea of what he is talking about.

All these gauges either measure or indicate headspace. Like you, I use a Stoney Pt (now called Hornady) gauge to measure headspace from the datum line. I also use a Sheridan for quick indicating of headspace. Sheridan uses chamber reamers so you get confirmation of whether the case will chamber as opposed to the Stoney Pt/Hornady which measures longitudinal headspace only. I also like the Sheridan because you can see neck creep on their cut-out models.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I'm with Klem and really like my Sheridan gauge I purchased from AA. I've never been around anyone who used the Whidden or RCBS gauges.

I can't figure out RCBS and not using the name 6.5 Grendel but my RCBS 264 LBC dies are GTG. I guess they could label their gauge 264 LBC.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• babue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I have and have used both the Stoney Point, Sheridan and RCBS Precision Mic. I like the Precision Mic the best. Fastest and most consistent, at least
              for me. So I would be in for one if the price point is good.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I'm currently using the Hornady Comparator kit, but I was just thinking how it would be nice not to have to dedicate a set of calipers to headspace measurement when sizing brass.

I was thinking the gauge would be nice with the shoulder angle built into it as well, but don't know if that makes sense or not.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Forgive me if I'm off base here as I've never used the tools mentioned in the OP.

I've got the forster datum dial kit for measuring OAL, but it also allows you to measure headspace on your brass. It specifically lists the Grendel under the 0.350" slot. It's also a very high quality tool for measuring your OAL,if you get the entire kit.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• SG4247
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2013

Ive used the RCBS precision mic for the .308, in conjunction with a home made spacer in the bottom. This has been my goto Grendel headspace gauge for 1000s of hand loads in many different Grendel chambered rifles. The spacer makes the mic read zero when the brass is at Grendel SAMMI spec.

Using this precision micrometer, I can set the sizing die to give me exactly the shoulder set back I want to the .001".

This tool is faster and more accurate than any other tool ive seen.

Ive posted on here about it in the past, but most guys either dont understand the measurement or don't want measure every round like I do.

I would be up for a new one, since mine is about worn out.
                    Last edited by SG4247; 08-23-2016, 06:59 AM.
                    NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• lesbaer45
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Oooooooh that Sheridan windowed case gauge is one sexy looking tool. An expensive $60 tool, but sexy never the less.

Following in case group buy gets off the ground, I could use some sort of case gauge.
                      Last edited by lesbaer45; 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM. Reason: ImaIdiot

Comment

• babue
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Any new info for a possible group buy??

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

So if I'm not mistaken, couldn't one technically make their own go-no-go gauges with dummies?

Comment

Working...
                          X