• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • South Paw Sammy
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

6.5 Grendel Newbee and deer hunting

Good afternoon yall,
    new to the 6.5 Grendel not to deer hunting though.
    put an AR together so my GF can deer hunt this year with me rather than just sit at the camp or in the stand.
    I chose the AR as she loves to shoot my 223s I chose the 6.5G as she does not like to shoot any of my 308s Bolts or ARs.
    The grendel seems to be a good inbetween cartridge.
    I have read alot on the hornady ammo ant that seems to be the goto for everyone?
    what about reloading for hunting though?
    Looking for suggestions?
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Get ready for lots of replys about hand load hunting rounds lots of guys here load their own rounds for hunting.

Also there are two loading manuals sold here and one of them has lots of useful info on hunting with the grendel.

Im sure your girlfreind will like hunting with the grendel. I know I do it has been the ticket for replacing my 270 and 308 for deer and hog hunting, cant wait for the season to kick off.

Edit...... Dont for get bout the balistic tip and ttsx ammo avalible for the grendel.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde

The second volume of the 6.5 Grendel books is geared toward hunting and they are available at this http://ar15buildbox.mybnbwebsite.com/

Both books have a lot of information though.

For bullet choices there are many, I have used Hornady A-Max and SSTs with good results on hogs. But there are lots of others that will work well. Precision Firearms loads some good ones including the bullet I will be using this year the Nosler 129gr Long Range Accubond. Lots of others works very well and I am sure you will hear about them or read past posts on them.

To me the Grendel is about the perfect match of being accurate, enough energy, good bullets available and flat trajectory to be a fantastic deer and hog round. I have used over 30 chamberings for deer and hogs and the Grendel is to me one of the best I have used.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Welcome!

Funny you mention your GF. My wife (a city girl) loves shooting my 16" Grendel. My daughter killed her first buck with a Grendel last season.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Be CAUTIOUS! AR's are addictive and Grendels are just plain habit forming. Once your GF gets accustomed to exercising that Grendel, you may never see it again ( except to clean it and add "enhancements" ). But, at least that justifies the opportunity to create another one. And, by all means, get copies of both of the Grendel books refered to above

Comment

• RicosRevenge
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by just_john View Post
            you may never see it again ( except to clean it and add "enhancements" )
            You meant the rifle, correct?

Comment

• South Paw Sammy
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2016

Hey guys thanks, I will definatly get copies of the books, The Rifle I put together is a anderson lower with a SAA upper 20" BHW barrel, after much more reading I probably could have gone with a 16" barrel.
              but I do have a few more lowers? HMMMM? Headed to the local gun shop saturday for a Geissele trigger and a diffrent front tube. TAX free weekend in southeast Mississippi this weekend.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Sounds like a shooter, You cant go wrong with their triggers Im running the SSA-E and its a awesome trigger for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X