• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Mark AR MOD 1 3-9x40mm P5 Dial Riflescope, Matte Black, FireDot TMR Reticle

Any of you guys out there shooting with this that scope?

Thinking it might be just the thing to bust hogs or punch holes in deer or paper.
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Never heard of it, who makes it.

Comment

• diddlyv
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

Leupold
      Queen of Battle
      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I bought a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 X 40 Mil Dot scope in 2009 and use it on my 16" 6.5 Grendel. This was before the release of the Mod 1. I like the scope and it has held zero and has tracked properly. I run out of elevation around 750-800 yards but I'm at 350' ASL. I'm using a one piece RRA cantilever mount but have considered buying a 20 MOA mount. I like the size and weight of this scope.

The only negative is in low light it is not as good as a couple cheaper scopes I own. Those other scopes have 44 mm objectives and are 2.5-10 power. I bought the scope and 6.5 Grendel because I thought I was going to Texas to hog hunt. The person I was going with health went south and haven't been able to make the trip. I really don't know if there is a significant difference in the lense quality when Leupold introduced the Mod 1 version.

I think the fire dot TMR reticle would be good but when I bought my Leupold I was interested in the mil dot for day light longer range target shooting more than a low light hunting rig.

Another Leupold with the same features but better glass is the VXR Patrol 3-9 which get very good reviews. The VXR Patrol is more expensive but I think it would be better in low light. I looked at a VXR Patrol 1.25-4 and was really impressed by the TMR Firedot reticle and clarity. Unfortunately I haven't seen the 3-9 VXR Patrol in person.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-25-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

I have no experience with this scope. With that said, for the price there seems to be a lot of functionality built in to this model. A negative could be a lack of elevation adjustment if you plan on shooting past 600 yards or so. 56 moa could limit you in that regard. At 12.5 ounces, she's light. In a Aero Precision mount you'd have a nice package under one pound!

I see there's a $50 rebate special right now at SWFA http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-Mark-...pe-P60888.aspx
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• diddlyv
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

The rebate thing caught my eye, and the new cheaper Leupolds have better class than my 20 yo vxIII

Scope should arrive in a few days and will get to range and give a review.

The 600 yard limitation is not big deal. I have other rifles that make decent 1000 yard guns. 6.5 credmore is to grendel as 300 win mag is to 308
            Queen of Battle
            Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
              The rebate thing caught my eye, and the new cheaper Leupolds have better class than my 20 yo vxIII

Scope should arrive in a few days and will get to range and give a review.

The 600 yard limitation is not big deal. I have other rifles that make decent 1000 yard guns. 6.5 credmore is to grendel as 300 win mag is to 308
              I'll be interested in your review of the new Leupold Mod 1. The 300 Win Mag to 308 is a good analogy.

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Update Scope arrived

The scope arrived today and as I had anticipated, the glass is brighter than my circa 1994 VXIII. In full sun the scope seems optically equal to the glass in my VX3I 4x12 I purchased a few months ago. Pretty sure in low light the 30 mm tube on the VX3I will blow the AR MOD out of the water.

Initial impressions a great piece of glass. According to the enclosed manuals (2 come with the scope One is for the scope and the other for the reticle with charts) the Mark AR MOD has the same turrets as the VX R Patrol the P5. Fit and finish outstanding as one would expect from Leupold. I got the firefly TMR reticle. Pretty simple remove turret cap on left side insert C2032 battery with smooth side up (+) the raised (-) down. Operation is pretty simple press button in center of left turret until desired brightness is achieve, will cycle up in brightness flash 5 times to indicate max bright then start down with 5 flashes to indicate lowest. To turn off press and hold button 3 seconds. Will start next time used at last used brightness level.

There seems to be a good amount of eye relief available.

The scope came with the Leupold AR one piece mount. Rock solid, easy to install scope in the rings. I was careful to put the top rings back on exactly how they came off. I expect that really does not matter. Some my prefer a lever quick disconnect system but the two large nuts are fine with me.

My lower should arrive today at my FFL. Hopefully I can hit the range before the weekend and give a range report on the rifle and the scope.
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update! I'll be looking forward to your range report.

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Vascar Interesting you got the grendel and scope to hunt hogs in texas. I signed up for a free hunt at independence ranch a couple of years ago, got a call last summer, I finally got drawn. My brother and I went the first week of march this year. Independence Ranch has a pretty good sale going on. I got the Grendel and scope to have something I could use at night with a light. When I was there the hogs did not spook at my white light but think a red or green hog light is the hot tip got one of those from Camofire. I also got a laser I may use on the grendel or mount to the scope of one of my other rifles.

I could be talked in to meeting you there to slay some pigs.
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• henschman
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2016

That's what I have on my 6.8 hunting rifle. I like it, but if I was doing it again I would pay just a little more and get the VXR patrol. It's got VX-3 level glass, while the Mark AR has VX-1 level. Like you said, the difference becomes very apparent in low light. Still a great hunting rifle optic though. The Fire Dot reticle is legit.

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

Yesterday's trip to the range was a bust. Funny thing if you do not tighten the nuts holding the base to the rail, they come loose and shots are all over the place.
                        Today was a different story. Like the glass, round strikes pretty much go where one expects based on the adjustments made. Scope is clear and bright, reticle can be focused to be sharp and well defined.
                        I like the scope a lot. Turrets are big and easy to adjust marked in .1 mil and large .5 mil increments.
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• diddlyv
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

Hunted with the scope today, saw no deer but did like the lighted reticle for the evening hunt. Had it turned down to lowest setting clearly visible but does not mess up ones ability to see.
                          Queen of Battle
                          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
                          X