• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

11 Hogs Down with Grendels & Hornady SST 123 gr. Factory Ammo

I was fortunate enough to go out with Dave Krebs again, this time with his buddy, Mitchell, who runs cattle on some of the properties for which Dave does hog and predator control. Mitchell was very helpful in getting us into some places we didn't realize we could go.

I had all sorts of problems trying to run 2 video recorders, but all in all, just about the entire hunt got covered. Gremlins is all I can imagine as I checked out the gear before and after the hunt and all was good. Go figure.

No necropsy or analysis. This was just a blow and go all night hunt to cover as much ground as possible and to shoot as many hogs as possible. I definitely need to work on my longer range small moving target shooting, but that will come.

Here is the video. Sorry for the bit of foul language.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • IceAxe
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

As always ..Great job!

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Thank you for another great video

Carpe sues!

Comment

• Nomad636
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Awesome shooting! Have you noticed when shooting sounders of hogs, that having a suppressor makes a difference in them scattering?

Comment

• RicosRevenge
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Nomad, I have noticed a difference. When I shoot un-suppressed they tend to run opposite direction immediately. Suppressed they seem to hesitate for a second and then completely scatter - sometimes running towards me. At least that is my observation... DN Spy shoots more hogs in a weekend than me in a year though.

Comment

• Nomad636
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

Ricos, thanks for the input. DNSpy definitely has the hookups for pig hunting, and he does a great job posting videos with his necropsy findings.

I have a suppressor sitting in jail and waiting on ATF approval... and the wait is real. I'm so ready to be able to use it while hog hunting.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

The first one definitely sucks. The second one isn't as bad because you already have a suppressor so you aren't missing anything!

edit... not sure if you have joined this yet but check out www.nfatracker.com for an idea of how long you have to wait.
              Last edited by RicosRevenge; 08-29-2016, 03:45 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

• Nomad636
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2016

Ricos, I haven't joined it but I am familiar with the site. It has been most helpful. The hard part for me and my wait, is that my suppressor was built to order for me and so I had to go through the process of the form 1, 2 and 3... before my local FFL received it. I started the process on Feb. 22nd and I wasn't able to actually file my form 4 until June 24th. So my wait was a lot longer than most peoples. I ended up getting an AWC Thor PSR and getting muzzle brakes for my 5.56, 6.5G, .308 and 300wm rifles. I'm hoping to have it in my hot little hands by Christmas time.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Opinions vary on how much a suppressor helps with hogs in a sounder. One fellow believes he can control the way they run and maybe to a limited extent, he can.

In my experience, with a can or without, hogs tend to run the direction they were pointed or run in the direction from which they came. I have heard folks claim that with suppressed, hogs don't know which way the shot came from and so may run toward you, giving you more shots. I have had hogs run toward me while shooting unsuppressed on numerous occasions, often with followup shots flying at them. When the shooting starts, hogs get confused, regardless of whether it is suppressed or not. The question is then how much of a threat they perceive the noise to be and with suppressors, I would argue that it scares them less.

So shooting suppressed, you are less likely to drive away hogs as far or as fast, particularly if you shoot one, wait until they calm before shooting again. That usually requires a lot of space, however. Suppressors are less likely to drive away other animals or other hogs that may be headed to your location.

A lot of how the hogs react will depend on whether or not they have been hunted before as well.

So it really comes down to a percentage or tendencies game. Having a suppressor is a real bonus. It certainly may improve your hunting. It certainly will be less damaging to your ears. It will certainly build muscle tone for the extra weight you carry. :-)

Seriously, for ear safety alone, I think people should use them. I wish I had gotten one sooner. You will still see me wearing hearing protection in my videos, whether I am alone or with others. Unless you are shooting subsonic or have hearing loss like some of my partners, suppressed rifles are still loud at around 130-140 db, right on the cusp of still causing hearing damage. In most cases with supersonic ammo, they make the shooting more hearing tolerable, but not necessarily hearing safe.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• RicosRevenge
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Thanks for the info DNS! My experience and sample size is a fraction of yours; so it is interesting to hear your thoughts.

I almost got a hog the old fashion way this past Friday AM... 4 ran across 287 in front of me near Sunset, TX while on my way to Wichita Falls.

Comment

Working...
                    X