• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wonk
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Need some coaching

First off I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not please feel free to move it to the right place. A little short history on me. I'm 62 years old and have been shooting on and off for at least 40 years. More handgun than rifle by far and up until I built my Grendel had never shot any further than about 75 yards with most of it being plinking with a 22. I've been to the range a coupe times now and reached out to 200 yards last week. I was pleased but know I have problems. I am shooting off a concrete shooting bench and use a Harris bipod and a squeeze bag in my left hand under the stock. My shots have a tendency to string up. First shot is usually close to the POA. Successive shots end up in a somewhat vertical pattern above the bullseye. I try to "load" the bipod but after each shot the sight picture is to the right every time. I am going to try to set up my GoPro next time to "watch" me as I shoot but I am hoping someone can give me some hints as to what I'm doing wrong.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

The range I shoot at the most has the same type of bench and I too was having that same problem, I took off the bipod and went back to a adjustable bench rest or stacked bags off sand and the problem went away.

I think the bipod was jumping when I would squeese off a round and throw my shoot off, that and the bipod would never return to the exact spot it was sitting on first shot and when I would take the next shot the feet were on diffrent levels because of the concrete top of the table not being smooth and level surface.

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

If you do not have a good front rest, put something under the legs of the bipod like a pad or a folded up cloth. It will help minimize the bounce off of the concrete bench. Also try to ignore the bullet hole from your previous shot and focus only on the bullseye (POA) that you had on the previous shot.

Comment

• JJA Guns
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

You can C-clamp a 1x4 across the front of the bench. This will give you something to preload the bipod against. That will allow consistent repeatable performance from your bipod, no more jumping around.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Wonk View Post
          First off I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not please feel free to move it to the right place. A little short history on me. I'm 62 years old and have been shooting on and off for at least 40 years. More handgun than rifle by far and up until I built my Grendel had never shot any further than about 75 yards with most of it being plinking with a 22. I've been to the range a coupe times now and reached out to 200 yards last week. I was pleased but know I have problems. I am shooting off a concrete shooting bench and use a Harris bipod and a squeeze bag in my left hand under the stock. My shots have a tendency to string up. First shot is usually close to the POA. Successive shots end up in a somewhat vertical pattern above the bullseye. I try to "load" the bipod but after each shot the sight picture is to the right every time. I am going to try to set up my GoPro next time to "watch" me as I shoot but I am hoping someone can give me some hints as to what I'm doing wrong.
          Wonk:

As you have read, bipods and concrete don't go well and the recoil tends to throw guys way out of position.

Anyone who says they can tell what you are doing by watching you shoot is a BS artist unless they are using ball and dummy drills. Only one person knows what they are doing and that is the shooter via calling their shots.

Since you are no stranger to marksmanship, I imagine you know how to call your shots. Doing so will let you troubleshoot your own performance.

My advice is to ditch the bipod completely and use a couple of big sandbags under the forend and a small sand sock or bag under the toe. I like G.I. sandbags filled with cat litter. I will put two under the forend and use a 16" softball size bag a bit underfilled under the toe of the stock. I suggest you put a bit of downward force on the stock with your cheek and lock the blaster into the bags. I prefer to shoot sustained fire strings of five for grouping with a gas gun.

LR55
          Last edited by LR1955; 12-01-2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X