• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Grendel View Post
    I stayed away from 80% lowers just because once they are finished you are married to them. If you're away from them and your wife or whom ever else maybe be around they could argue possession. I would buy the 80%, jigs and tooling for the grey day when the serial numbers and dealer logs go from soft (hidden) registration to go to hard registration/confiscation.
    Possession of what? This isn't an NFA item?

Comment

• Grendel
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

OK I maybe listening to people who live in California or have been misinformed.
      Homemade guns made from "ghost gun" kits and on 3D printers haven't had to be registered or bear serial numbers under federal law, but the rules may be changing.

I might have to look into doing them myself.
      Last edited by Grendel; 11-15-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Retro
        Warrior
        • Jul 2016

Actually the purpose of doing an 80% lower is personal satisfaction. No, there is no paper trail and that is part of the draw about them. If done right they are every bit as good as the higher priced lowers with the same forge symbol on them. The initial cost does represent a higher cost lower but, if you get a decent jig the cost goes down every time you do one. Just think of it like you do reloading. The initial cost is high but eventually you might save some money (probably not much). I don't think that the object is saving money though. It's more about the freedom to make your own stuff. As far as the best ones I think that they are all very similar if they are made of 7075 aluminum. I have machined both Anderson and Daytona lowers and the aluminum is of good quality. The lowers with the keyhole (cerro) are the same lowers that Aero precision uses. As far as jigs go I've had good luck with the Anderson. You have to be careful with any of them not to destroy the top guide plates. Anderson is far from the best but it attaches in a way that prevents movement unlike the Daytona jig that allowed for small amounts of movement once the piece is fixtured. The great thing about aluminum vs polymer is that you can weld up any mistakes in aluminum. If you have access to a milling machine the tolerances can be as tight as you would like.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

The question is how many lowers can you turn into rifes/pistols before you are a manufacturer requiring a licrnse.

Comment

• keystone183
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

As many as you can before your equipment wears out......as long as you're not SELLING them.....

This is only my understanding, and not legal advice.........

Comment

• Retro
              Warrior
              • Jul 2016

You can make all that you want or can afford. There's no limit other than you can't sell them. If you make them and sell them that's when the law considers you a manufacturer. You can Google 80% arms law and see what it says.

Comment

• sportsnut
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                For some, I think that is the point.

Lol ya think...

Comment

• Dedbrd
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2017

Check out the 5D tactical jig. There are guide pins, eliminating the potential top plate knick with the end mill. Also only requires 2 pilot holes.

Comment

• golfer
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

I will strongly recommend the 5d tactical jig for milling lowers. I was able to do 11 lowers before needing the $20 replacement mill bit. Very easy to complete with little chance of messing up.

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Not what I read once you die It CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED it must be destroyed should have a kept a copy of it. You can't even will it to your heirs.

Comment

• Crusty
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                        X