• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by vmassarano View Post
    I didn't see a clear response to this question, so I'll ask one last time:

Has anyone had any problems with Wolf Gold 120 grain 6.5 Grendel Ammo? I bought a box along with some Hornady 123 gr AMAX and ran some rounds thru my new Radical Firearms 20" 6.5 G Upper and the bolt jammed on a Wolf round after less than 12 shots total. Just trying to figure out if it's the upper or the ammo at fault since the Wolf Gold has NOT been recalled as of today.
    I've run a few boxes of Gold through my AA 16" without any issue. My only problem is trying to get more of it. My understanding was that the Gold WAS part of the recall since the brass was made by PPU.

Comment

• UpNorthSavage
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2016

PPU Brass failure.

I ordered up a bunch of once fired brass with a PPU headstamp ,from a source who shall remain nameless, and upon starting a load ladder had a failure. This then prompted a more thorough inspection of the rest of the brass. I found that the majority of the brass had a belt around the base of the casings. The vendor refunded my money for the purchase upon my pointing out that there was a recall on all PPU headstamped brass. The load was 28 grains of Ramshot TAC under a 100 grain ballistic tip seated to 2.26". I read about the recall after the fact or I probably never would have ordered it.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

That load seems perfectly sane, so I think that can be ruled out. (30gr of TAC under a 123 SMK is getting quite stout, but a trusted reloader (Bob Stokes) did it a few years ago to duplicate the Black Hills/Les Baer load.)
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

It's not clear to me: Are the old batches of Wolf labeled PPU mfg'd brass case ammo also in the recall? (120 MPT and SP)

I've never had an issue with it, though have only shot a few boxes.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
            It's not clear to me: Are the old batches of Wolf labeled PPU mfg'd brass case ammo also in the recall? (120 MPT and SP)

I've never had an issue with it, though have only shot a few boxes.
            The original 123gr Soft Point loads were loaded way too long and would jam the lands.

It was the only factory cartridge that wouldn't even chamber initially when I tried it, but rounds loaded by the speed of the action cycling did chamber and fire.

I think JP's safety notice was really a result of that particular load.

The 120gr MPT shot really well for me, then some time last year, it started having all kinds of problems for people, including blown primers, lots of rim damage, cratering, etc. Someone here measured many samples and found that the headspace was way short, below minimum on the shoulder location. The brass is really soft too, and a lot of people were seeing case web expansion that presented like a belted magnum.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              The original 123gr Soft Point loads were loaded way too long and would jam the lands.

It was the only factory cartridge that wouldn't even chamber initially when I tried it, but rounds loaded by the speed of the action cycling did chamber and fire.

I think JP's safety notice was really a result of that particular load.

The 120gr MPT shot really well for me, then some time last year, it started having all kinds of problems for people, including blown primers, lots of rim damage, cratering, etc. Someone here measured many samples and found that the headspace was way short, below minimum on the shoulder location. The brass is really soft too, and a lot of people were seeing case web expansion that presented like a belted magnum.
              Good to know. I always viewed it as pretty rough ammo, but never had an issue with it either. (AA Barrel) While I saved the brass, I don't have enough to even reload. Just use my IMI 7.62x39 for plinking and Lapua for better.

You think the Wolf Gold is included in the recall? Did not see any pics or mention of the Wolf labeled ammo.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I've never seen any recall on Wolf 6.5 Grendel brass cased ammo with PPU brass. I still have few boxes Wolf Gold 120 grain MPT I bought back in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                X