• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Best bang for the "buck" hand priming tool

Myhand priming tool has finally given up after many years!
    Don't want the most expensive but am willing to spend some extra for a good operating tool.

What do you use??
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
    Myhand priming tool has finally given up after many years!
    Don't want the most expensive but am willing to spend some extra for a good operating tool.

What do you use??
    LRG:

Had a single shot type of bench rest tool which was horrible when you had to load a couple hundred rounds in a sitting. Had to pick up each primer and carefully place it in the tool.

Picked up a RCBS bench priming tool and it works fine but is hard to get the feel for the primer seating.

Bought a Lee hand priming tool many years ago and like almost every Lee product I have owned, it broke within a month.

Got the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool over twenty years ago and have never had a problem. Easy to 'load', can feel the primer seat, and is very fast.

LR55

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I second 1955's suggestion. Get the RCBS universal. If you like watching paint dry get the single load Sinclair. My Sinclair sits in its box on a shelf. I appreciate well made tools but when loading upwards of 20-30 rds, I need efficiency.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

I went from the RCBs Universal to the bench tool to minimize stress on my aging muscles and tendons!

Both have worked well for me and I did indeed have a better feel for how well the primer seats with the universal. Actually have two -- one for small primers and teh other for large because of the hassle of awitching back and forth.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          I went from the RCBs Universal to the bench tool to minimize stress on my aging muscles and tendons!

Both have worked well for me and I did indeed have a better feel for how well the primer seats with the universal. Actually have two -- one for small primers and teh other for large because of the hassle of awitching back and forth.

I used one of the bench mounted tools years ago when I first started loading and it did have a really good feel to it. I just don't have bench space, or storage space if mounted to a removable plate, etc. If one has enough space the bench tool is very easy on the joints and IIRC it uses your standard shell holder unless it changed. About the only advantage to universal hand held is ease of storage and ability to drink coffee and watch Fox News channel while priming cases!!

Richard
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Boondoggle
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            I used one of the bench mounted tools years ago when I first started loading and it did have a really good feel to it. I just don't have bench space, or storage space if mounted to a removable plate, etc. If one has enough space the bench tool is very easy on the joints and IIRC it uses your standard shell holder unless it changed. About the only advantage to universal hand held is ease of storage and ability to drink coffee and watch Fox News channel while priming cases!!

Richard
            I'm pretty new to reloading so don't use my advice but my precision class was taught by the guy who still holds the world record for a five shot group at a mile and he uses the K&M hand tool. It does give you nice feel for seating depth.

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

For.my precision ammo i use.the sinclair

For fast priming I use my bench mounted priming.tool

Comment

• apynckel
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2014

RCBS, hands down.

Comment

• Bill257
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

I Mainly use the RCBS bench mounted priming tool. It has a decent feel and holds a 100 primers at a time. The Hornady hand priming tool Has been OK for me, less feel and seems to work better (or I just find it easier) at priming pistol rounds.

Sure like the universal shell holder on the RSBS discussed above - hope they offer an upgrade for my bench model!

For precision, the Forester Co-Ax press's priming feature is nice. Great feel, but you have to adjust the universal shell holder each time you change caliber (quick and easy) and load each primer one at a time.
                  Good luck

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Okay this is really old school. I love my Lee old style hand primer with the screw in shell holders. The "L" fits the Grendel fine. I like the feel that you get.
                    NRA Lifer

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Rcbs
                      "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• lrgrendel
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2013

I guess it's the RCBS UNIVERSAL!

I like to load precision ALL the time but would like to try one of those bench mounted one's....I guess not really....

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Arrived yesterday

As my Lee started to give up on the small primer side of things, I got this delivered yesterday.
                          Very happy especially with no shell holders!

Comment

Working...
                          X