• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

New CPD Magazine.

I just saw where C Products Defense has released a new 28 round 6.5 Grendel magazine. I can't tell from the pictures how much longer the body of the mag is compared to the 24 round mag. CPD has also released a new 28 round mag for the 6.8 SPC.

I also noticed J&T Distributing is selling a 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag with a curved body. There is very little info on J&T's web site on this mag. This might be a picture of a CPD 20 round mag with curved body for 5.56 which CPD manufactures. The pictures of the 5 & 10 round 6.5 Grendel mags sre shown with orange followers. J&T has displayed a picture which does not match the product in the past. I suspect the pictures of the 6.5 Grendel mags are actually 5.56/223 mags. I might call J&T to get more info on this 17 round mag.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-17-2016, 01:06 PM.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Good news and thanks for the report!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      I just saw where C Products Defense has released a new 28 round 6.5 Grendel magazine. I can't tell from the pictures how much longer the body of the mag is compared to the 24 round mag. CPD has also released a new 28 round mag for the 6.8 SPC.

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/28...T-28-RD-65.htm
      I decided to check 68forums for possibly relevant info, since Chad (the owner?) of CPD often posts about his company's mags in that forum.

The magazine shown in the link above is not the new 28-rounder, which actually has the pronounced curvature of 7.62x39 magazines.

FYI: http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...s-now-shipping

Comment

• din
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Alright, so who's going to be our guinea pig?

Comment

• Redomen
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

I might give it a try. I'm partial to elanders though.

Comment

• din
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
            I might give it a try. I'm partial to elanders though.
            Me, too, but the more reliable magazine options that make it to market the better. Also, as much as I like my Elanders, I'd rather buy magazines made at home.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I contacted J&T Distributing in regards to the 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag listed on their website. I inquired if J&T manufactured the 17 round 6.5 Grendel magazine or who actually manufactures the magazines they currently sell. I was advised J&T used to sell C Products 6.5 Grendel mags but is currently selling ASC mags. The person I had correspondence had to contact a person in purchasing for the info.

The picture of the magazine of the 17 round 6.5 Grendel mag on the J&T sight appears to be the same photo on ASC's website for the aluminum 20 round 5.56 mag. The description of the ASC 6.5 Grendel mag on ASC website is the same information as on J&T's website. The ASC's website does not list a 17 round 6.5 Grendel magazine.

I still don't know if the 17 round ASC 6.5 Grendel mag is a new release or a misprint on the J&T/DS website.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

C Products Defense is also selling a 20 round 6.5 Grendel magazine with the same profile as the CPD 20 round 7.62 X 39 mag. I haven't tried any of the CPD but I really like my 17 round E-Lander mags even if they are a little more expensive.

Comment

• Hillbilly6.5
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2016

We tried C Products magazines years ago and had issues with them. We switched to E-landers but like a lot of you, would rather buy USA if possible. The idea of having a Grendel magazine at almost the same capacity as a 5.56 is also nice. If we switched out the spring to a flat wire spring from David Tubbs we would probably gain another one or two rounds capacity and be at 30 rounds. (Just thinking)

I called LCJ Wholesale store and talked to Larry. He was very knowledgeable about the magazines and took the time on the phone to go into detail about how the CPD magazine has been changed and upgraded from earlier design with redesigned feed lips, deeper grooves and a new finish called Black-P (which I really like) to reduce sticking and fouling over thousands of rounds. I told Larry about our experiences with CPD magazines in the past and he was very confident these new magazines would perform wonderfully. He was so confident he sent me a magazine to test. Since LCJ Wholesale Store was kind enough to do this, I wanted to give it a fair test and not say anything until we had a chance to put the magazine through its paces. Over the last two weeks we ran the magazine through both forged lowers and billet lowers testing how it engaged and disengaged from the receiver. We ran 336 rounds through the magazine using Lapua brass and 120 grain Lapua Scenars. Usually, we are pretty picky and find something to complain about but to this point the magazine has performed without flaws and no complaints from us. The magazine is laser etched like the picture above but says 6.5. If there are any problems long term I will update the thread but for now we are going to be buying these made in the USA magazines again.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Any pics? Thanks for the report.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

I have a few of the new Magazines in my AR chambered in 7.62x39 and I have also run them in my Grendel. These magazines have performed great for me and are much higher quality than the old design. I could never get any of the old mags to function propely. The feedramps are much more solid and the spring tension is much more stiff on these new mags. I am also assuming the new shape aides in reliability. They have worked very well for me. I keep one of the 28 rounders in the case for my Grendel and I shoot is often. No failures yet and again this is a mag that is designed for 7.62x39.

Comment

• jim_bob
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2014

Does anyone else have experience with these magazines?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Okay, I am over 7 months late to the thread, but I picked up a CPD 28 round Grendel magazine at the gun show. I will let y'all know how it works...
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

I have a 4 round e-lander, 4 round ASC, 4 round CPD and 10 round CPD. Out of these mag, I will always reach for the CPD first. They allow the longest COAL, they load smoother than the others, and I've never had a malfunction with them either. The 10 rounder is the easiest one on brass and bullet deformation during Chambering as well.

Comment

• Troutguide
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

DNS please keep us posted. I need to get a bigger mag than the cpd 10 I currently have.

Thanks Kilco I am looking for more than 10rd but that vote of confidence is encouraging.
                              "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
                              X