• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobke
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Kilco
    What is max COAL you are able to load to with CPD mags? I'm able to run 2.290" with ASC's and reliable function, though I had to rework feed lips/front scallop and spend a few hours to get them there.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

In my home state of Maine, our semi-autos are limited to 5 round magazine max for hunting, hence why I have so many 4-5 rounders, with my CPD 10 rounder for target/load development.

I could get 2.285 COAL to fit and function fine in both my CPD mags. TBH I never used the ASC as much, seeing as how it didn't have the little lip cut out in the front that allowed extra clarence for the neck/shoulder section of the round when chambering, and when I did use it, it put deep scratches and cuts down the round.. very hard on the brass that I reload.. so in defense of the ASC I never checked it for max COAL, and might have gotten cleaner function with some modification, but the CPD worked flawlessly, required no modification, and are equally great value.

I believe I have my e-lander loaded up with varmint rounds, and bust it out occasionally, but it fits so damn tight into the lower that I have to give it a little extra slap to seat, and it is extremely tight loaded with 4 rounds, even after leaving it leaded for a couple months. I believe I've had a couple instances of the initial round not going completely inot batter after hitting g the bolt release. Just took a couple slaps of the foward assist, but deff not as smooth functioning as the CPD mags.

Can't speak for any manufacturers higher capacity mags, but I plan to try the 17 round e-lander ans 18 round CPD in the future.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Alright, I have been out with the CPD 28 round magazine. It has issues. I have not determined whether it is the front edge or the ancillary lower set of lips forward of the feed lips that are creating the stoppages, but the rounds are not moving fully forward every time, causing a stoppage. The forward ancillary lower lips are not nearly so pronounced on my Stoner mag and the transition isn't nearly so abrupt on the Stoner as either.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Here is a very no frills video of what I am talking about. My thought is that the cartridges should be able to slide forward freely, under tension, but freely as they move into the chamber. The CPD 28 round magazine does not seem to allow this. The first problem I notice is that the rim of the cartridge catches on the central side crimp of the magazine. Basically, the pushed in metal of the crimp fit well in extractor groove, helping trap the cartridge. The second problem is the shoulder of the cartrdge catch on the forward lips of the magazine. My other mags don't seem to hang up like this. The cartridge pass over the crimp much more freely and the forward lips are less pronounced and less abrupt.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

All the 6.5 Grendel mags I've bought have very stiff mag springs when new. I have gotten into the habit of loading my new mags to capacity and letting them set loaded for at least two weeks or the first time I attempt to use them in my rifle. Many of my mags have exhibited the same issue as your new CPD mags DNS. With my mags the function improves with use. It appears the mags wear in or wear the edges smooth which improves function.

Just curious DNS if you load new your mags and let them set loaded?

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

While I agree that letting a loaded mag to sit for a while may help, actually working the spring helps more as it is the working/cycling of the spring that will actually help it break in quicker.

Comment

Working...
              X